Another To Big To Ride A Pony Comment

ginageorge

Sep 25, 2006
West Midlands
:eek:Iam only 5ft nothing and weigh about 8st.7lb now,Jack is 13.1.My Friends and i were at another yard the other day and we were talking about what type of horse or pony we owned,when i said i have got a 13.1 chunky cob a rather snooty Lady replied ''Are you not a little to big for a small pony my dear?''Well really.:eek:
This is Jack.
Jack33409.jpg

Jack and Me
Meonjack21409.jpg

100_0362.jpg

How ridiculous, he looks absolutely perfect for you! And you could also get away with a lot smaller too!

Oh dear, if you're too big for him then I'll probably be shot down at 5ft7 if I get this 12.1hh pony ;)

You look lovely together

What a stupid women, all shes done is show she is pretty clueless really!

I would of said "and how did you come to that assumption" !! see whats really going on in that empty head of hers!

Last edited:
He's gorgeous! What breed is he?

I'm a good few inches taller than you and my pony is only about 13.2-3! She's pretty well built though.:D

:DThanks Guys,i know i found it quite amusing,i dont know what this Woman would have said if she had seen me last October when i first got Jack,i was 11st.6lb then,and he still carried me without a problem,omg she would probably have phoned the r.s.p.c.a lol.:D

Anything bigger and you'd look like a sparrow sat on the rock of Gibraltar.

No idea where I remember that quote from, but it's the first time I've found the ideal place to use it.

My very first pony was a 13-3 fell pony,i bought as a novice rider.
I am 5 ft 6 and weighed about 13 stone.I bought her as a unbroken two year old from her breeder who was also a fell society show judge and had her professionally backed and schooled at 3 1/2 (i took it easy on her 1 st year under saddle and she never once struggled with my wieght).She was a family pony all my children rode her 100 percent bombproof ( from the age of 4 she regularly had to go up a stretch of dual carriageway with HGV's flying past to get to the bridleway) and i hacked her out.I used to get comments from horse owners too.But in my mind it never bothered me because when my OH bought her for my 30 birthday it was a dream come true. A chance too own a beautiful equine so i just ignored them and enjoyed my wonderful rides out and a lovely mare who became one of the family.

And for all those mature riders who worry about weight/hieght ratio most of Britains native ponies are extremly hardy wieght carry ponies ie fell ponies where used as pack animals and carried 16 stone of lead over the fells and dales where they are renown for there strength and surefootedness and excellent temprement and there ability to survive the severest winters in the harshest conditions.

IMO just enjoy your equines wether they be ponies or horses and count yourself lucky to be fortunate to be able to have such a wonderful hobby :D i know i do.

:eek:Iam only 5ft nothing and weigh about 8st.7lb now,Jack is 13.1.My Friends and i were at another yard the other day and we were talking about what type of horse or pony we owned,when i said i have got a 13.1 chunky cob a rather snooty Lady replied ''Are you not a little to big for a small pony my dear?''Well really.:eek:
This is Jack.
Jack33409.jpg

Jack and Me
Meonjack21409.jpg

100_0362.jpg

You both look absolutely fine together and jack looks lovely and well cared for :D

Hum well seeing as I was riding a 13.2hh HEAVY (and I mean heavy) cob pony last night for my friend - funnily enough called Jack too, and I'm 5ft 7in and weigh considerably more than 8 stone 7 then I must be the most evil woman in the world!!!!!!!:mad:

we have two nf x dales and me and my OH intend riding them both! they are 13.2 and i am 5ft 4 and hubby 5ft 7 but very light and he is going to ride the mare who is a chunky cobby dales type with no bother. we will only be hacking so we wont be asking them to do anything strenuous although my gelding could do if i wanted! I have nothing against any size of pony/horse or rider - each to their own - i just prefer natives (big horses scare me after a scare with a 2yo working on a racing stud!) - and I also prefer the shorter distance to fall off (not that i'm planning to but at my age you know it hurts!! LOL):p

newrider.com