Another TB question! Youngsters!

Ratface

Nov 20, 2007
West Yorkshire
I have another question for you! I am quite intrigued by the whole idea of breeds having certain characteristics temperament wise and working wise and thought I would ask the following...

Those of you who have owned TB's from a young age (birth upwards) and who have NOT used them for racing or fast ridden work, are they still "fizzy" and need constant entertainment as their stereotype suggests or is this what usually happens as a result of being worked/raced etc from an early age?

(Hope you know what I mean as I am naff at explaining things sometimes!).

I've just bought a TB filly, she is 5 months old and is not fizzy. She has a lovely placid nature but does spook quite easily (expect that from a horse so young). She has also become very stubborn, if she doesn't want to go anywhere then she will not go, so it's a case of wrapping your arm round her bum and encouraging her that going forward is good. :)

eally depends on the individual horse. we have a few who ahvent raced and are calm as donks but then some who are loopy. and then a few thta ahve raced and are failry placid and again the few who have raced and are phyco! depends on each horse!

I've not had mine from a baby (bought her aged 13) but she never raced or race trained, and from what I know of her she's just been a riding club and leisure type. She's still a very forward thinking athletic horse with tons of energy who literally loves nothing better than a good blast. Not particularly spooky though and a dream to handle on the ground.

I think you'll always get the sharpness and sensitivity that comes with the breeding, subject to the individual horse. What you might avoid with a non raced Tb is some of the mental screw ups and health problems that being raced sometimes give rise to.

You've got to remember that there's 300 years or so of selective breeding for little other than raw speed in there :D

My first TB I had when she was 3 until she was 23. She was always a little sharp, but not as flighty as Belle - they are all didfferent, but mostly they are very sensitive (physically and emotionally - Belle has just come back from our ride with severe nettle rash:rolleyes:)

I've got a two year old who has raced and she is as chilled as you can get, sometimes have to check she is still alive.
Some TB's as with any horses are naturally fizzy and busy but most TB's are stupid and fizzy due to wrong feeding not because of what they have done in the past, some of the best comp horses are ex racehorses and are chilled out even though extremly fit.
It's all individual.

Hello again,

That is exactly what I gave been thinking and so you have confirmed my thoughts between you all!

I get sick of peeps saying that "cobs are plods" and "Tb's are fizzy and mental" and all of the other stereotypes which hang around! My thoughts are as above:

> each horse is an individual and all are different;
> TB's probably get their reputations from being mentally and physcally worked from a very young age;
> Feed has a large part to play!

Thanks again guys, you are gems ;)

What you're saying is very true, but breeding does play a part too. The stereotypes (albeit negative at times) are based on tendencies that are there in reality, even allowing for the variation in individual personality :)

I've ridden quite a few ex racers, some of them are easy to ride & very calm, others have been really spooky especially at jumping but generally great to handle in the stable.

I have a TB yearling since she was 5 months old, she is VERY VERY sensitive, does not like people she does not know, can be quick off the mark & very suspicious of everything! This could be age, could be breed but i think it's breeding as my other filly is the opposite. On a positive note she is a very quick learner with a kind temperment.

I've ridden quite a few ex racers, some of them are easy to ride & very calm, others have been really spooky especially at jumping but generally great to handle in the stable.

I have a TB yearling since she was 5 months old, she is VERY VERY sensitive, does not like people she does not know, can be quick off the mark & very suspicious of everything! This could be age, could be breed but i think it's breeding as my other filly is the opposite. On a positive note she is a very quick learner with a kind temperment.

I have a 5 month old filly TB, would love to hear about the trials tribulations you encountered with yours at at that age. :)

newrider.com