Another summer without riding - REMEDIAL FARRIER REPORT NOW VISIBLE

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Well, the vet came today and X rayed Ziggy's foot (at the end of a long, long, long extension lead as we have no power in the field).

The news is awful. Ziggy's foot is way out of balance, with the toe grown far too long and the front wall of the hoof out of line with the pedal bone. Vet recommends remedial shoeing at once and at least 3 or 4 shoeings before he is back in balance and rideable.

He said "This is bad farriery" but when I explained my trimmer's qualifications and the approach he has been taking he backed off a bit and said, "I understand, when you look at the foot it looks good, you have to look at an x ray to see how far out of alingment the toe and pedal bone are."

At least a month in his box, until he is more comfortable: then he can recover in the paddock. He has pads and bute for now.

I am so gutted I don't know where to start. I've contacted Trevor (my trimmer) to let him know: I felt such confidence in him, I don't know what to think.

:help:

Last edited:
oh gosh, not sure what to think either.

would this really have caused such sudden extreme lameness? hasnt he been trimmed for years by trevor?

Only for about eighteen months. And Trevor has tried to shorten his feet before. As I say, I don't know what to think. I'll post the x rays when I get copies.

:cry:

I was thinking of you this morning, glad I am not the only one who has xrays done on the end of a long extension lead, but I am really sorry to read this, I don't really know what to say, healing vibes for ziggy.

Firstly don't panic, this is exactly what happened with Acorns o/s front -

Our Vet lives in the village and he saw me taking him up to the field one day and he had a habit of tripping a bit but otherwise mostly sound - on remedial trimming at that time and we thought he was coming right - suggested we have X rays done as he felt something was not right - glad we did came back similar to Ziggy's - the n/s was affected as well but not as severe, fortunately after much consultation with others it was decided no rotation but the remedial trimming he was having although looked good on the outside - the inner of the foot was all wrong - you just couldn't tell from looking, my farrier at the time was gob smacked, he looked after all ours and I would still recommend him to anyone - although he has since retired due to health and we have a new one who is bloody excellent, but we had an on site consultation, Farrier, Vet and myself and sorted out what was needed, initially every 2 weeks, then 3 and eventually 4 - we did get 5 at one point but new farrier is happier with 4.

Only difference was we did not keep him in as he needed movement, but we purchased little hoof boots for his fronts and for the first two months he wore them on turnout and for exercise, then just exercise and then finally no longer needed.

The reason for the short intervals on the remedial trimming was so it could be done sympathetically to allow the tendons and soft tissue time to adjust to the change as well.

that was 2 years ago - look where we are now - we still have trimming for balance every 4 weeks but hes sound (feetwise) and ridden and shown.

keep strong , we were up and down but got there in the end.

At least now you know what is wrong and very soon you will have a plan towards resolution.

Last edited:
Oh no, Sorry I can't offer any advice but sending hugs too!! It's awful when you have the vet versus farrier/trimmer situation...it just leaves you feeling confused :(

Have you actually managed to speak with Trevor, if so what were his thoughts?

Aww I'm so sorry to read this :( In a way it is good to have an answer and know what needs to be done however it definitely doesn't take away the frustration and upset. I hope he starts to improve soon!

What an awful bombshell, poor Ziggy and poor you. Will be interesting to hear your trimmers comments on the situation. :frown:

I have always only had remedial shoeing done with the evidence of xrays to guide the vet and the farrier in what needs doing. But in your case I would be seriously considering if your trimmer is able enough to interpret the xrays findings and his ability to take Ziggy forward in conjunction with your vet.

I am sure that Ziggy can be got sound again, sounds like time and remedial trimming will get him there.:smile:

Wow, I didn't expect that! I thought it would be an abscess for sure - since the onset seemed so sudden?!
Flipo had similar in terms of long toes, outer wall disintergrating, causing a medial lateral imbalance essentially. He had been getting a wild horse trim.
We ended up shoeing as you know. I asked about it being my trimmer. Certainly his trim didn't help. But there were other issues as well (torn muscle, etc.)

I'm so sorry it was bad news Jane :( I hope that together the vet and Trevor can get Ziggy sorted.

Sorry if this is a silly question but what exactly will putting shoes on do to help?

newrider.com