Another rugging thread!!!

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
So as some of you may know Rubic is moving at the weekend.

She will be in an isolation field for 3 weeks. She will be out with another mare and neither will be allowed to come out of that field.

The weather here has now become much milder than it has been - Met office says 4-6C (but "feels like" 1-2C). It is very wet and windy just now!

Rubic was fully clipped (except legs and face) a couple of weeks ago.

Just now she is out during the day and in at night and hardly gets any hard feed and is worked 3-4 times a week.

YM says the grass is good there, and Rubic still manages to put weight on at ours in winter and the grass is alright! I'm worried that with no exercise and loads of grass she will balloon. The way my fieldmate is talking I think she wants to put hay in at night too (although I'm not sure why since her horse is a fatty too!).

I'm thinking I should just keep her in her 75g rug in order to keep the extra weight off. She is in that just now day and night but obviously is getting hay instead of grass at night and is in getting some shelter from the cold wind. The only other rug I have is a 200g but I think that will be too heavy unless the temperature drops. I'd rather just keep her in the same rug as obviously trying to change a rug in a field in the peeing down rain with another horse there isn't ideal. I'll keep the 200g in my car so I can change it if the temperature drops (I can't seem to get a forecast for the next month on the met office website to get an idea of what might happen!).

I think the 75g will be the better option but I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for her and thinking that maybe I should just put the 200g on and worry about it later. The other thing is the 200g one rubs her mane out and I'm worried that if that is on without a rest it might cause a sore spot.

Basically I need someone to tell me to stop being a softie and that the 75g rug will be ok.

It's not like you're not allowed to change your mind is it!

Do it, satisfy yourself she's ok and continue to take things on a day by day basis. Nowt wrong with that.

Moët and major are both in 100g turnouts. They have trace clips live out 24/7 and are ideal weight for cobs (can feel ribs but not see them). As its turned mild I will change them to rainsheets until it drops again.

Honestly 75g is more than adequate!

Good! I think I just needed a bit of reassurance. I want everything to go well at new yard and don't want to start of with either a very overweight horse or a very unhappy cold horse!

I've just turned my mare away for abit as I can't ride for a few months,she is fully clipped and weight wise has put some on over the last 2 months but as I know I'm not going to be able to ride and she puts weight on just looking at grass I have dropped her to a 40g and she is out 24/7 go for it does no harm them losing some weight at this time of year makes it an easier battle of the bulge come spring :) she will be fine I'm sure.

Wait until you get there then decide. You will see how sheltered or not the field is.

newrider.com