Another rug question - native/welshie types?

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Edward will be living out 24/7 for the first time this winter (he does have nice four-sided shed).

I do not want to mollycoddle him, as at the end of the day he is a fit and healthy Welsh Sec D. To put my options in to context he is at the moment ridden 5 days/week - anything from a 5 mile walk or 30 minute lesson through to a 3 hour hack with a few canters. I suspect, owing to lack of light and poor weather, we will be riding him probably 3 or 4 times a week.

I think I have two options:

• Pretty much keep him completely unrugged until later in October - then trace clip and rug. Although his unclipped body will then be very hairy and I'm not sure if he might then sweat too much when ridden?? So could end up clipping more.
  • Start to rug slightly earlier so that very thick coat is avoided (does this always happen?). Then trace clip.
What do you think? Thank you......

Just as it might be of interest to you,coat thickness is not decided by temperature,is actually governed by daylight hours AFAIK.

Rugging just makes the hair lay flatter hence giving the appearance of a thinner coat.

Hope it helps:)

Thank you Devonlass,

That's interesting. I thought that if you rugged earlier it prevented the fullest coat........:confused:

Thank you Devonlass,

That's interesting. I thought that if you rugged earlier it prevented the fullest coat........:confused:

It is I beleive a common misconception.Rugging early doea appear to prevent a full coat,but like I said is more to do with making the coat lay flat rather than it being actually thinner.Horses coats 'fluff up' naturally,it's what insualtes them,when you rug you take away that ability,and hence coat lays flatter and appears thinner.

Have you noticed that even as early as august,horse were starting to get 'floofy' (know my lad was and was even a thread on here about it I think??.Is because day's are getting shorter,not temp as temps were the same as earlier in the summer.

I believe some race breeding yards use artificial lights to make the mares come into season as they like all race horses to be born at certain times of the year,again is the light that determines that not temps.

There are of course differeing opinions on this and many do believe it's due to temperature,I don't as the daylight thing makes much more logical sense to me,but's that's not to say I'm right of course,do some research yourself maybe?? Perhaps can google it or ask others on here:)

Thanks again Devonlass. I have heard that it's more to do with daylight hours - that does make sense, as Edward did start to lose his Summer coat a few weeks ago! He's already looking a little fluffy:D

In that case, I'm probably best to leave him until nearer end October and then clip (trace or something similar) and rug.

I've learned all I could about avoiding flies, sunburn on noses, watching weight in Spring etc. But, Winter is a whole new part of the learning curve!

:)

In that case, I'm probably best to leave him until nearer end October and then clip (trace or something similar) and rug.

I've learned all I could about avoiding flies, sunburn on noses, watching weight in Spring etc. But, Winter is a whole new part of the learning curve!

:)

That plan sounds good to me and is pretty much what I will be doing if I clip my hairy native this year:)
Might find you only need a light-middle weight rug for first month or so after clip BTW,depending on how cold it is of course!!

Is always a learning curve hun,no matter how much any of us *think* we know is always something that comes along to bite us on the bum and catch us out:p
Don't worry you seem to be doing a fine job to me:)

Rugging doesn't mate their coat anyless, it only flattens it.

I would rug is hes cliped but see how it goes, I think you will know if Your horse is cold.

newrider.com