Another request for weight opinions

laurajf

Jul 16, 2009
Teq's a 29 year old TB x, out 24/7 and permanently retired so unfortunately I can't do much about muscle wastage. She's always been a good do-oer but this year needed a bit of help initially, but now I think I may need to cut her feed back a bit again as the rain means the grass has shot up too. I think she's looking a little plump, and it's not good for her (arthritic) knees if she's overweight. However, it's hard to judge when you're seeing them every day! She weightapes in at just over 550, and I'd say has a condition score of 3.5 (but I'm not 100% as I've never condition scored before, I can still feel her ribs when I slide my fingers over but there's definitely a covering, and her bum is starting to get a slight 'apple', no cresty neck though), I don't mind her carrying a little extra weight going into Winter as she does drop it in the colder months, but I think perhaps it's a bit too early for that.

Do we think she's on the more 'generous' side of a good weight now?
6573_221260365356_519975356_7966925_2319247_n.jpg

This was only a day or two later but she does look to have more of a 'grass belly' here
6573_223204130356_519975356_8011499_6042672_n.jpg

Honest (polite) opinions appreciated :)

She looks amazing for her age and I agree she is slightly heavier than ideal but then again, if she's going to drop it all in winter I wouldn't worry too much so long as she doesn't get any/much bigger or is prone to laminitis.

Thank you! She isn't prone to laminitis thankfully.

I've cut back her feed a little so I'll see if there's any difference over the next couple of weeks and if needs be decrease it a little more. I don't think she needs to lose *too* much so hopefully just a few small changes will be sufficient, the grass seems back to normal now too thankfully.

Hi, I agree she's a bit overweight, but wouldn't worry, esp if she's likely to lose it in winter.

As for the weight tape, they're not that accurate. As for bodyscorring, which one did you decide she was a 3.5 from?? There are many different ones out there & it depends which you're going off. Apparently the Henneke one (http://www.habitatforhorses.org/rescues/bodyscoring.html) is a commonly referred one. On that scale, 4-5 would be ideal, depending on horse, type, fitness, etc. I'd say she's about a 6 on that.

...But if you want to be disgusted, check out Jasper the donkey on that page! OMG!!!

Thanks all :) I won a 'Fat Horse Slim' pack from Dengie today in their monthly prizedraw, good timing! So have had a read through and they have some good advice in there which I'm planning to follow. Would like to get Teq down to a 3 (used the Blue Cross body scoring method - or a 5 in the one you linked wundahoss, and I'd agree that she's currently a 6) for now, then towards the end of September when it starts getting colder perhaps get her up to a 3.5 so she's got some extra covering and shouldn't come out of Winter too lean.

newrider.com