Another question...

sandpiper1809

Aug 16, 2009
I have JUST started riding again after a long break and am probably jumping too far ahead but I just wanted to ask how much experience do you need to comfortably share a horse, i.e what standard should you be at.

This is something I am considering for the future and something for me to aim for but I want to know how experienced I need to be before I contemplate this big step!

Having browsed loads of ads already (I know, abit early!) alot of them state "no Novices" which I appreciate but what is a Novice exactly.
I am sure that this can vary enormously from person to person.

Anyone offer some advice?

Also, the next question would be..... how experienced should you be to consider buying your own horse?? A few years of sharing perhaps??

I think some lucky people on here have got their own horse within weeks of returning! I started share-loaning about 6 months after coming back to riding and to be honest it wasn't the level of my riding skills that caused any problems - it was my lack of experience of doing anything with horses on my own. Eg, I thought I'd go on a hack on my own and then discovered that horses don't necessarily want to hack out without other horses to keep them company! My horse certainly didn't, and being so inexperienced I really didn't know what to do in such a situation. But, I could have gone on having lessons for 5 years before I loaned and I don't think I would have been any more prepared - I think it's only when you start to loan or own your own horse and have to make decisions for yourself that you really make progress. Plus of course all the extra time you can spend riding helps improve your riding skills as well.

I was lucky because my RS do a loan scheme so I was able to loan a horse that I knew (although had only ridden once) and more importantly had plenty of support. It's been excellent for me because I'm learning my limits and also getting the chance to find out what I like doing best before I have to make the big commitment of choosing a horse that's right for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Got my share about 3 weeks after I started riding again - then again, I had had my on horses 10 years ago and wanted more independence / exclusivity than a riding school could offer.

No regrets other than the amount of time I spend on here at work, when I wish I could be hanging out with el pony!

I'll second that! I only went to look round my local livery (after a few lessons at a RS and wanting more) - saw an advert for a loan, a week later he was here! Baptism by fire - but with lots of reading and lots of support from YO and stable girls, we are getting through it - and Ive learnt loads! You learn by doing - don't let other people put you off so if the time feels right and you have the support, go for it :)

newrider.com