Another question! Pony club this time

Snowyboy

Jun 6, 2007
Sunny South Wales
taking our daughter to her first mounted pony club on Saturday - we've been before but unmounted

By hook or by crook we'll get the little man on our box (all pony's hate our box - its an old rice one and they all just hate it :confused:)

But we are going with the pony this time!

She gets points for her turnout - she'll get max for those - I will make sure :D

Tack - she should get high marks for that as I clean the tack every time we use it - the saddle was fitted and its all fairly new, pc approved colours and in tip top condition

so happy about all that

its the pony I am worried about!

He is WHITE - forget that rubbish about pony's being gray, this one is gleaming white - anyone that's seen their pictures knows what I mean :D

He's out for about 12 hours a day, in at night

At night he is so messy in the stable and poos everywhere and then lies in it so he gets covered in stable stains, apart from where his duvet (ooops - rug) is

In the field he is a mud monster so he's pretty mucky

I can get all the mud off, but I really don't think its reasonable to wash him to get all the stains off him - he will be clean but he won't look it

As long as he is clean, will that be enough or will she get marked down for him being non-white mud sort of colour

if you have a thick haired white pony that's out a lot, you'll know the problem I am talking about

I will groom him obviously and all the mud will be taken off his coat - its the mud and stable stains I am at a loss with

I really am not going to wash him in this weather!

i think there is something called cowboy magic green spot cleaner, which is supposed to be perfect for what you are looking for.

I don't think that would help

we aren't talking a few bits here and there

face, ears neck, 4 legs, tail, then the whole body is mud and muck coloured

he lies on his side and pushes himself along the ground, rubbing his head as he goes, then rolls to the other side and repeats and then goes onto his back and really has a good wiggle

its so funny to watch!

I think have videoed him doing it - so if I ever crack the transferring videos from my camera to the pc I'll upload

He is just covered from head to foot!

I don't think that would help

we aren't talking a few bits here and there

face, ears neck, 4 legs, tail, then the whole body is mud and muck coloured

he lies on his side and pushes himself along the ground, rubbing his head as he goes, then rolls to the other side and repeats and then goes onto his back and really has a good wiggle

its so funny to watch!

I think have videoed him doing it - so if I ever crack the transferring videos from my camera to the pc I'll upload

He is just covered from head to foot!

oh dear

so you need magic green pony cleaner as opposed to spot cleaner.

Do you have any chalk???????? :p

I am rather hoping they won't mark us down - he can be clean, he just won't look it???

If not, we'll take the hit on points!

The only way to get his man clean is by washing him, at least 3 times!

For shows I have to wash him every day for a week, and then rug him up and turn out in the field as mud is easier to get off him that "stains"

He can turn his entire tummy poo coloured

he must dislocate all four legs and lie with his legs out at right angles to his body and then grind the poo in all night - I swear blind his must!

He is not only white, he's a really dirty lad as well!

Her next pony will be bay with NO white anywhere ;)

I have a "White" horse

I use a method I call hot tubbing: I'm presuming that he wears a rug so the areas of concern are legs, head and neck. Using a bucket(s) of hand hot water with a small amount (1-2 drops depending on water hardness) of shampoo and a large car sponge. Soak the sponge in the bucket and wringe it out then hold it over the stained area for about 5-10 seconds then rub like mad!! when you can't see the mark any more rinse out the sponge and then the area. Repeat as necessary!! (Or untill your arms fall off:rolleyes:)

For really stubborn stains try "Canter Coat Whitener" and use as directed.

For his tail (Only) try net curtain whitener if you can find it-brilliant stuff! Put in a bucket of warm water and hold hi tail in it for a minute or two.

When he's all done spray his legs tail and neck with "Show Sheen" but only the night before and sparingly on his neck otherwise it will get on the reins and ruin the grip. (Its Silicon so very slippy!)

Good Luck!

our old pony was just as white as yours, literally! what i used was lemon washing up liquid and white vinegar mixed together in warm water, worked for us! always in the rosettes for turnout:D
x

only wears the rug in the stable - he's warm as toast outside but in at night, he gets cold so he has a stable rug. He does sometimes go out with a rug in the day (like tomorrow he'll have one on as its due to pelt down with rain all day)

For shows, I would and do use show sheen (I love it - it does work - but as you say, it does make him slippery but I kinda like it!) but seems OTT for a pony club rally

I think I'll just make sure his tack gets full marks and daughter's turn out gets full marks and then just say well, he is out and in the pc manual it does say not to overgroom ponies that live out and maybe they'll forgive us for our browny orange coloured pony!

I am a great fan of cactus cloth and hot water cleaning in winter but I am afraid all my greys (OK..whites!) are permenantly biscuit coloured in winter.

Even daughters horse who is so snow white in summer she glows has to be taken out less then perfect!!

We also are fans of lycra and leg wraps for horses in stables!!

:eek: If I put him in lycra my husband will die!

He's got enough issues with us dressing the poor ickle pony in his rainbow striped travel set, if he comes in and sees him in a lycra bodysuit, I think he'll die laughing :D

(have got two on my ebay watch list ;))

Her next pony will be bay with NO white anywhere ;)

This post has really made me smile - I really feel for you Snowyboy!:D

Your comment is one that I repeat on a regular basis at this time of year :mad: - except I've decided that chestnut is the way to go!

When we take our dapple grey to pony club events at this time if year I do use a sponge with warm water on his head/legs and tummy, but from the sounds of it your boy is 'fluffy' whereas ours isn't and will not dry out quickly.

How about you just wash his tail - if that's sparkling maybe it will blind them so they don't notice the poo stains!!??:confused:

Good luck, have fun and let us know how you get on.
:)

Can't be more embarrasing than having a stroll round before our 'retrained racehorse class' only for judge to notice and remark on our TB wearing pink cloud bandages, pink lycra hood and maroon rug!...just as well he didn't see coordinated car and trailer as well ...at least its not pink!

We ought to have a "how much can you embaress your equine thread" :D

I am hoping as its her first mouted rally, daughter is kinda cute (honest - everyone says so!), pony is cute too, maybe with gleaming tack and child, all pony club approved, then maybe they'll turn a blind eye to the less than white pony

seems flippin unfair that will spend all day friday trying to get him sort of clean without actually washing him and the bays will be pulled off their field at 9am, shown a dandy brush and will be on "parade" at 10am and get more marks just cos they don't show the dirt :(

"is thinking of starting a new rules for white pony owners in winter campain" :D:D

For what its worth, my girl is bay and 16.2hh, so not "cute pony" in the least, plus she is clipped and wears a fuill neck rug....and still manages to get herself liberally caked in mud, even down the neck of her rug. I don't know how she manages it, really.

I think if your daughter is well-turned out, her tack is clean and tidy and the pony is obviously groomed properly (no caked mud), the instructors ought to realise that there is no reasonable way to get a grass-kept grey pony really clean in the dead of winter, and not mark her down too harshly.

newrider.com