another poor horse attacked by a dog

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1954435

this is the most serious attack i've heard of happening in my area. it's disgusting. In the full story in the actual paper, it said the dog was hanging off the mare's jaw for 15 minutes. I was saying to mum if any dog tried such an attempt on our boys i'd kill it. Seriously. I'd use lethal force to get the dog off. And i think any horse owner in that situation is well within their rights. I'll be watching with interest to see what happens to the dog. It seems to be acceptable for them to attack horse. I personally think they should be PTS.

Wishing Justina the mare a very quick recovery.

Omg that is terrifying! That really really makes me think how lucky I was the other day when the dog tried to attack Moet when we were out riding the other day!!!

the attack happened in the mare's field. Lord knows what would have happened had her owner not been there to fight the dog off.

i read your thread Julie, your horse sounded like she was a star and you were both fortunate not to get injured.

Its awful and hope the dog is PTS and the mare makes a full recovery with it not affecting her mentally.

I would also like test to confirm it is a sbt and not some crossbreed bull type as it does pi$$ me off they say SBT but I bet it doesnt have papers :stomp:

I would also like test to confirm it is a sbt and not some crossbreed bull type as it does pi$$ me off they say SBT but I bet it doesnt have papers :stomp:

it probably is a cross breed. It happened only a few miles away and the area is plauged with neds using staffie types and rottys as weapons :(

A friend of mine has just lost five of his lambs. Ok you might say its only sheep. But alot went into rearing and looking after them. The dog in question had one, one night, then came back a couple of days later, had another, then the next day had three more. Now the dog has got a taste for killing he is going to keep coming back. My friend did take his gun with him the one night. When he saw the dog coming the sheep just went balistic in the field. Scared out of there wits they are now. He fired his gun over the dogs head to scare it off. Unfortunately I dont think he had a clean shot at it. If he had I think he would have killed it. Now my friend has had to remove all the sheep from the field. Its so not fair. I now how he feels. I lost 5 of mine last year. 13 in total were mauled.

That's awful, poor thing. Though why is everyone on here so quick to blame the dogs? I thought you guys were animal lovers, surely you know that in many a case you could easily place the blame on the owners and how the dogs are raised by them. Same goes for humans in a lot of cases!

I really hope the horse recovers and I also hope the sort of people that bring up dogs to be so violent and act like 'big scary guard dogs' are banned from keeping more dogs and indirectly murdering them (when their behaviour stemming from how they have been taught ends up with them being PTS).

These breeds of dogs only have this awful steriotype because they are very strong dogs, therefore people buy them to train them as aggressive guard dogs or the sort of people that buy them thinks it makes me look 'ard. People like this wouldn't buy a say, Jack Russell would they, which in actual fact, in a normal responsible upbringing would be more likely to bite something/somebody than a bull terrier! I remember stats being put out after the rottweilers attacked the children saying labradors were actually more prone to bite than any other dog, however a lot of people buy rotties, bull's for one reason hence you get more aggressive ones. I used to work in a kennels and the softest thing in there was a rotty the most aggressive was a little yorkie and a j russell!

I feel really strongly for the horse and her owners BUT the fault lays with the dogs owners , I bred and showed German shepherds for 20 years, at Ch show level crufts etc. Husband has competed in working trials with rottys, and we have a staffy x breed NEVER would any of my dogs do this, and I deplore any owners of those breeds that do BUT PLEASE its more often the owners fault than the dogs. and I completely agree with what others have said the sheep etc I do understand but blame belongs with the owners perhaps if breeders were more vigilant in where their pups were going but thats another story and u will always get back street breeders who are quick to make a dime at whatever cost, please just dont blame the dog in this the owner is to blame entirely, and if the dog is pts then the owner will sadly get another of whatever breed to take its place and the cycle begins all over again

Last edited:
I blame the owners too. Dogs like children are a product of their upbringing, its how you treat them, whats acceptable etc.
I don't know how much of it would be their "chase" instinct though?
I just think that its irresonsible to be letting dogs out or letting dogs lose near livestock of any kind. Having said that i know 100% that my dogs wouldnt go near livestock , theyve both been kicked and chased off by my ponys in the past, not because they were being aggresive but because my old gelding is a miserable sod :bounce:

Kis Vihar,think you have to ring police before to say it will be shot before you can do so :unsure:. Sadly you are not allowed to shoot the d**n fool owner :banghead:

Kis Vihar,think you have to ring police before to say it will be shot before you can do so :unsure:. Sadly you are not allowed to shoot the d**n fool owner :banghead:

Really? Not here. ;) I mean, you can't shoot the owner here either, :eek: but I don't think the Police would be wanting to know if I shot a dog bothering my stock. There's so many strays here, most dogs don't HAVE an owner. :( :(

That's awful, poor thing. Though why is everyone on here so quick to blame the dogs? I thought you guys were animal lovers, surely you know that in many a case you could easily place the blame on the owners and how the dogs are raised by them. Same goes for humans in a lot of cases!

who was laying the blame with the dog? i absolutely agree, it will have been bought by some ned to use as a weapon but i'm afraid i don't believe that you can retrain a dog which has been trained to be aggressive. And my opinion stays the same. Much as i love dogs, if one did that to my horse i'd use whatever force necessary to get it off my horse. as someone else said, next time it could be a child. This dog mauled the horse and left the horse owner with severe bites. Destruction is the only course of action IMO.

i did. i know the area, and i know the type of people who tend to frequent round there. dogs are used as weapons, not pets.

just to update you on this, sadly the mare was PTS at the weekend :( paper reported that she sucumbed to an infection in the wound. On the up side, they have charged someone over the incident. I personally hope they throw the book at him. IMO it's murder.

This happened to a lil shetland close to us a few weeks back, poor lil horse was grazeing along with others in a massive field. & a male walking 2 dogs let one of his dogs attack it, poor lil horse had the complete end of his muzzle taken off and had to be pts very shortly afterwards. The last i heard the police were still looking for the male. There was pictures but tbh it is very disturbing so i havent put the link up.

Witnesses said that they saw a man walking 2 dogs and the one that done the attack was just left to it and after it had finished he just walked them home:stomp:

newrider.com