Another one of those 'how much is she worth' threads!

SarahC

Jul 13, 2004
East Midlands
Visit site
Hi all,

I've never asked this question before and have my own ideas, but reading some recent threads about horse prices, would be interested for some view:

ps. I'm not selling! Not yet anyway!

15.1hh absolutely stunning tri coloured (skewbald) mare, very evenly marked, very pretty. I'm not just saying that! she really is a head-turner. Believed to be Irish Sports Horse cross. Just turned 7 years old. Registered CHAPS (or is going to be anyway!).
110% safe, never bucks, rears, bolts, gets fizzy or silly, or does anything that involves too much energy! Hacks alone or in company (can be slighly spooky alone), goes first or last, never ever competitive, never gets strong or tries to race. Brilliant in traffic, doesn't bat an eyelid at anything including artic trucks, motorbikes, caravans etc etc...
Will work in a lovely outline with an experienced rider but knows when she has a novice on her back and will then plod on as slowly as possible if she isn't asked to work in the correct way! In fact, thats her one fault....she can be a bit of a plod....manners to burn, totally polite...placed in her first shows for showing and jumping. Totally safe to jump, never ever refuses..but again, can need some 'geeing' up. Very uncomplicated, no vices whatsoever, lives in or out....Basically 100% everything.

So, what do you guys reckon price-wise??

S

4-5 k a horse that is safe and you could but a beginner/nervous rider on is priceless, andd deff a cob!

we sold this chap as he was too much on the ground fro my hubby, 15.1 un reg 8yr cob a complete **** on the ground bit a diffenerent horse when ridden no schooling behind him and baring a bit of sj had done nothing, hes now in a fab home mother and daughter share, still trys it on but has helped mum regaine her confiedence... he sold for over 3 k

Attachments

• bertie.jpg
    bertie.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 27
if the horse is genuinely as good as you say i think you could get more like 6 for her if she is county show quality..... people will pay alot for a safe easy to do horse....she sounds like a lot of peoples dream horse.

People are paying stupid money for coloured horse and paying even more stupid money for horses suitable for a nervous novice, so a lot of money!

Would she be truely suitable for a nervous novice if they were the only ones handling her? Very few horses are charitable enough not to take the ****. It's different when they are being good for a nervous novice when being handled daily by experiened, confident people.

If so you would be looking at 5k easily. Shame she's not a weight carrier - then you'd be looking at 6k.

If she not quiet suitable for the most nervous and imcompetant novice (I only know one horse who would be out of a lot of horses!) then it's be about 4k - being a bit lazy is a draw back for some people.

Well, she's not a cob at all....dad was an IDxTB, mum was a connemara....so dont' know if that would reduce some of your estimates?

pinapple....I have been told by two county judges that she would take the county circuit by storm....however, her one downfall is that she can be extremely lazy, saying that I've done lots and lots of work with her on this and it has improved no end...but she would go straight back to it with a nervous/novice I feel....which I thought might put some people off....also, although she is totally safe and has really re-gained my confidence, she can be slightly spooky from time to time, again nothing major, she just tends to plant herself if there's something she's not sure about! But these are few and far between.....reading alot of wanted adverts recently, I get the feeling that many nervous riders are after that totally bombproof-doesn't-put-a-toe-out-of-line-ever type.....no disrespect to nervous riders, I was one myself!! And although I don't believe in 100% bombproof's, many nervous riders do....

pink's lady - she's a dream to handle honestly, totally polite and would never dream of barging or being pushy or taking the **ss. I was a nervous wreck when I bought her, and she has done exactly what it says on the tin for me.....

But, saying all that, I asked around locally and no one put her at less than £6K....given her looks, safety and potential....

Last edited:
my advice..... dont sell her, shes still younge, keep learning! lol and up ** insurance maybe!

lol jaydevon! Definitely not thinking of selling at the moment, I adore her. but I may do at some point in the future....at the moment, I yearn for something a bit more forward going and although I'm not rushing into anything, it may be a distinct possibility at some point....!

S

She is as fit as a fiddle and has been on every type of higher energy feed you can think over the years i've had her. I've even had an equine nutritionist out to assess her!!

She's had vet checks etc to rule out any physical reasons...I'm afraid, its just the way she is....whilst we have come quite a long way with some training techniques, I don't think she will ever change too much...

newrider.com