Another nail in his hoof, i give up

vikkig

Jul 26, 2007
this morning i got a phone call saying my mac was lame, i was heading up the yard anyway and when i got there i was met by a 4 inch nail sticking out of his back hoof,

luckily vet and farrier were booked for today, farrier removed the nail and spoke to my vet over the phone, vet was not too worried but said he would look when he was out, the nail went through his bar towards the hoof wall and went in a little over an inch.

so i now have a stroppy stable hating 16.3hh on box rest for 7 days and its a back foot so he is practising his aims at my head :(

vet says i am very lucky to have had 2 nails in 2 months and not have more of a serious injury.

Or Very unlucky to have had 2 nails in 2 months?

where is he finding them??

Rambo had one go right in through the sole many years ago -- we too were very lucky! He found it after an unexpected hurricane caused a field shelter to collapse :(

Like Soot I'd be wondering where on earth he was finding them.

If he hates being in that much couldn't you put him out with a dry dressing & miles of duck tape? Or, better yet, a hoof boot? Getting stressed & stroppy won't help him heal any quicker & a hoof in the head won't do you any good at all :eek:.

Get well quickly Mac & next time watch where you put your feet :rolleyes:

I'd turn out with a plastic feed sack taped over it and lots of duct tape. I went through a year where both girls had 2 abscesses one after the other. Thought my back was going to collapse with all the poulticing, but feed sacks and duct tape (reinforce the toe) work a treat.

I'd turn out with a plastic feed sack taped over it and lots of duct tape. I went through a year where both girls had 2 abscesses one after the other. Thought my back was going to collapse with all the poulticing, but feed sacks and duct tape (reinforce the toe) work a treat.

Like Soot I'd be wondering where on earth he was finding them.

If he hates being in that much couldn't you put him out with a dry dressing & miles of duck tape? Or, better yet, a hoof boot? Getting stressed & stroppy won't help him heal any quicker & a hoof in the head won't do you any good at all :eek:.

Get well quickly Mac & next time watch where you put your feet :rolleyes:

Or Very unlucky to have had 2 nails in 2 months?

where is he finding them??

Rambo had one go right in through the sole many years ago -- we too were very lucky! He found it after an unexpected hurricane caused a field shelter to collapse :(

the nail had came off the roof of the outdoor stables, when its windy the roofing lifts and it loosens the nails and this one has popped off, YO very good straight on a ladder and checking for extra nails.

last time i put him out for a little bit and he went mental and his poultice came flying off, might try the feed bag idea and let him out for a little before changing his poultice.

when i changed it today there was no gunk coming out however it didnt bleed as much as last time and the blood flushes it. fingers crossed no absess and i will put some stockholm tar on and stick him out for mine and his sake

newrider.com