Another Is Mom to big to ride pony

Sunniflower

Mar 30, 2008
Hi Everyone. I'm new. I bought my daughter a pony. She is 13.2hh and stocky. She just turned 6 years old. She has a beautiful gait. I would love to ride her but I'm concerned that I may be to heavy at 12 stone. I have included a couple pictures. Please let me know what you think. She just foaled. I would not be getting on her anytime soon.

Attachments

• PICT0202.jpg
    PICT0202.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 286
  • PICT0046.jpg
    PICT0046.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Personally, I would think you may be too heavy yes.
Although, as ever, the fitter and more muscled she is, and the fitter & well balanced the rider is, the easier she will be able to carry a heavier weight.
She doesn't really look like a weight carrier, looking at her bone density.

x

Last edited:
I'm not sure what she is. The people we bought her from did not have much information and were not very helpful. I had typed a nice e-mail to the woman with questions to answer and her response was I'll get back to you I'm watching biggest loser. That was it.

Im just under ten stone and would not feel comfortable riding her, so my gut instinct says yes you may be too big, like somone else pointed out she doesnt have a lot of bone and doesnt seem like a weight carrier to me:)

I personally feel this is going to be a no by the time you add on weight of tack. It could be a border line yes if the pony was in very good condtion first.

More Pics

Here are more pic's. I hope they help. I'll have to get a video clip of her running.

Attachments

• PICT0044.jpg
    PICT0044.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 151
  • PICT0045.jpg
    PICT0045.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 104
  • PICT0046.jpg
    PICT0046.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 95
  • PICT0047.jpg
    PICT0047.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 171
  • PICT0043.jpg
    PICT0043.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 125
My first instinct was icelandic as well.
Especially as you mentioned the nice gait. The foal also has a very "icelandic" foal look

Can I see one of her running? Would be able to see if she goes 4 beat at any time. Shes very pretty.

If she is icelandic then at 12 stone you will be fine (it may be your daughter who has more trouble being smaller!) If she's not icelandic, then I guess it would depend on breeding. The fitter she is then the easier she would carry you...I'm about the same as you and I don't think I'd worry about my weight on her.

Whats her name? Who did you get her from? Do you have a passport from her? Or know her dam and sire? Also do you know the (very cute!) foals sire? Also can you get any pictures of the foal out running around? They often show tolt very clearly.

Thank the Gods! I thought it was just me in Icelandic mode!!

Fx

Well when I looked at the OP I thought "Its an icelandic. No! Don't be silly. You've just spent too long with the iceys today." So I went to close it without replying, thinking I would just give false advice.
I then decided to take a look at other peoples replys. Thank goodness fo seeing yours! Thought I was going barmy! So then I decided that my reply might actually contain some decent advice for once!
The more google images I'm looking at, the more certain I am that there is icelandic in there - you only need to look at the face and forelock to see it!

Ok, with the help of my hubby we got a couple videos of her running with her Colt. They aren't the best, but I hope good enough to see her gate. We have had many people comment on how smooth she is. My hubby likes to make the comment "you could put a glass of wine on her back she is so smooth"

You'll have right click on the links and choose "Save Target as" and save it to your desktop. Then it works fine. For some reason this site is a fuddy duddy about hyperlinks. So clicking on it from here blocks it for some weird reason... (thank you for your help honey)

http://files.myopera.com/Vedalkin/files/Mya and Gedrin 1.wmv

http://files.myopera.com/Vedalkin/files/Mya and Gedrin 2.wmv

By the way, we live in Kentucky, and several people said they doubt she is Icelandic. They are pretty rare here, but there are some... Who knows, It's possible.

Last edited:
Fixed it. Try again. Right click and choose "save target as". Just tested it with Internet Explorer.

Ok so I saved them.
It would be easier if I could pause them and watch them frame by frame but it isn't working.

However there are certainly tolt strides in the mare (can't see the foal). Would put money on her being icelandic. The foal either being a full icey or a cross breed.

In which case at 12 stone, when she gets fitter after the foal you will have no problems riding her. It may be your daughter who will find her harder. Will be interested to see what Frances thinks.

(Frances if you cant get them to work, with Sunniflowers permission, I will put them onto youtube for the evening so you can view them)

I personally disagree. We had a 13.2hh mare that was 9years old and foaled not long ago. She was bought for my mum(about 17stone) and ended up being mine. My mum only had a few lessons on her but she didn't mind having her on board. She worked exactly the same ears forward and everything. I was at the time 10stone and she did jumping up to 1metre and 4hour hacks with me. She worked everyday with me as she didn't like having a day off.
You just need to have a good feel at the muscle bone in her leg. If she is strong enough, get on and see what she's like. She will let you know if she's not comfortable.
Good luck x

She has a very clean trot I have to say. Definatley not 5 gaited if she is icelandic. Her canter gets quite paceish though (doesn't mean shes 5 gaited but a sign of an icelandic)

I hope you don't mind but I'm taking a few pauses from the film to try and show the bits where I think shes 4 beat lateral. Just for those who can't see the video. The qualitys not great though.

Her canter might have seem paceish due to my daughter chasing them around to get her to run :eek: But our neighbor who has trained horses for over 30 years says she has seen at least 4 gates on her just watching her run in the pasture. But she has been on vacation and wasn't even here for the foaling. She is expected back next week.

I will try to get some better video tomorrow, it's raining now. We'll hook up the lunge on her and get some better shots.

Last edited:
I don't get why a 13.2hh pony can't carry 12st if it's a normal pony (which I agree with, it's quite a lot for something her build), but if it's a icelandic it can suddely carry so much more:rolleyes: Their bone can't be that much denses (in fact, have any studies show they ARE much denser?). And why should bone density matter? It's their back muscles and spine ligaments that hold the rider up, not their bone. They mucles are exactly the same. Their ligaments are the same too. So are their joints, which shock absorb the extra weight of the rider on their back.

Also, on a more important side note - what's happended with her feet? She looks like she's foundered, and badly:eek:

Mya's Feet

Her feet were bad when we bought her. We have her on New Hoof. She has finished a 5 pound container and is on her second. We are working to get her feet back on track. She was put to pasture by the previous owner. She has a great disposition, my daughter can do anything with her on the ground. She just needs some TLC.

Thank god for PL!
I looked at these photos before any replies and went :eek: :eek::eek: at the feet but didn't comment straight away as I am all to aware of my limitations knowledge-wise. The feet look so bad at first I thought she had something wrong with her leg confirmation but I am thinking its because she is so tipped back.
Good to hear you are treating this but I wonder if it is a good idea to "make her run" considering she has such poor feet? Couldn't this make her worse?
I am sure you would hate that to happen. To be honest I am surprised she can run with those poor feet.
I hope I am not offending, it is really not my intention, just want to say things I know I would want to think about if I was in your position.

Mother and foal look absolute sweeties, hope all goes well for you all.

Last edited:
newrider.com