another gender/unisex thread

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
now as someone who said the unisex thing in the other thread was a pile of cr**.... I felt I had to post about this, because today something, conversely, has really annoyed me. I stand by my views, I think the gender neutral clothing sections in shops are ridiculous - but

today i was shopping for miniCA’s christmas. I was looking on Amazon at K’nex construction kits and came across this one. I thought he would love it, he’d love building all the little animals etc. It crossed my mind all the other sets are in red boxes and this one is purple and then i noticed it says on the side FOR GIRLS !!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Imagine-Im...93195&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=k’nex+imagine+5-7

Is it because Knex have in the past been aimed at boys and this is to broaden their market?

Again I think far too much fuss is made about 'genderless' clothes, toys etc. I grew up with two brothers and a very practical Mum & Dad, I learned how to do housework, cooking, cleaning, manage household budgets etc but I also learned how to do boys jobs too, I can strip and rebuild a motorbike engine, paint & decorate, mix concrete, build a wall, practical useful stuff, I played with my tiny tears & sindy dolls and my beloved rocking horse, but I also played with my brothers leggo, scalextrix, mechano etc it never occurred to me that I was doing boys jobs or playing with boys toys, I was just growing up to be a practical girl and having fun at the same time.
Who cares what it says on the label? I really wish people in general would stop making such a big deal of it.

We only had daughters - but fury yes! Tho our grandson has older sisters and he plays with their cast off toys.

Again I think far too much fuss is made about 'genderless' clothes, toys etc. I grew up with two brothers and a very practical Mum & Dad, I learned how to do housework, cooking, cleaning, manage household budgets etc but I also learned how to do boys jobs too, I can strip and rebuild a motorbike engine, paint & decorate, mix concrete, build a wall, practical useful stuff, I played with my tiny tears & sindy dolls and my beloved rocking horse, but I also played with my brothers leggo, scalextrix, mechano etc it never occurred to me that I was doing boys jobs or playing with boys toys, I was just growing up to be a practical girl and having fun at the same time.
Who cares what it says on the label? I really wish people in general would stop making such a big deal of it.

i agree - to a point. Im the biggest advocate of not making a fuss about it but when you ask, who cares what it says on the label?... the answer will be the small boy who reads it and says he has been given a toy ‘for girls’. You said it never occured to you that you were playing with boys toy - it would have if it had said on the side ‘FOR BOYS’ ;) Stereotypical boys/girls toys are not usually specifically labelled.. Ive never seen a dolls pram or house labelled ‘for girls’.

newrider.com