Another curb bit question

Stormin

Jun 28, 2007
Export - GMT+1
I've already seen riders using a curb bit - through the rein attachments at the bottom of the shank, there is also a metal bar or a string tied between the 2 shanks.

I presume this is to avoid the shanks flipping over when led (?) or for limiting the movement of one shank compared to the other but are there any rules as to when/when not to have this sort of system ?

I'll see if I can find a picture to show what I mean :eek:

Thanks

uhm no ...
I've found a piccie (albeit not a great one)

ma_gallant_ladd_faye.jpg

See how there's a sorta "chain" between the ends of both shanks ....

Here's a better picture of what Stormin's talking about:
bit.jpg

I think it's meant to stabilize the arms on bits that have longer shanks. To make each arm not independent so that open reins can't be used at all for a horse that's really finished. I think. I could be wrong. :eek:

Yeah Keket, that's the type of bit.
However there are those which appear to be kitted from the start (as in your photo) and I've also seen home-made ties ...

Its a slobber bar, its used to stabalize the shanks without completely fixing them, and also to stop then getting hitched into or onto anything, it also stops the horse getting the shank into its mouth.
They can be solid, metal or wire or soft, leather/rawhide or braided hair/nylon.

Thanks very much Jessey.
Would you want to add a "slobber bar" to any curb bit or are there certain rules/models which are equipped ?
I don't use one, but I believe you can add them to any curb bit to stop them getting caught or to stop the horse getting the shank in their mouth.

I'm intrigued as to how you came to post a picture of a mid 1800s US Cavalry Curb bit as a demo - wouldn't have thought that would be a bit that would come to mind for an average horse person when demonstrating this.

Its a slobber bar, its used to stabalize the shanks without completely fixing them, and also to stop then getting hitched into or onto anything, it also stops the horse getting the shank into its mouth.
They can be solid, metal or wire or soft, leather/rawhide or braided hair/nylon.
Ditto. :)

newrider.com