Annies going barefoot...*I think*!!!! Couple of q's...

K

Kate&TheHerd

but I just have a couple more questions, I am so scared about doing this as it is all new to me, so naturally I have lots of questions!!

To get the history and why I am going barefoot, read here-will save re-writing ;)

http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199703

Now for my questions. My farrier is next coming on the 1st october. Obviously I am aware that standing in mud is not good for newly barefoot horses so im thinking ahead. They will stay in the top field til prob end of oct (no mud!) and then move to bottom field in nov, i reckon they *should* be mud ish free until end of nov.

So my question, on the 1st oct, should i just have backs taken off then all of them taken off on the farriers following visit on the 19th nov, or should i just get them all taken off on the 1st oct?

I am also aware that newly barefoot horses are prone to infection-what are the most common ones, and how would i treat them (just so i know what to look out for ;))

I'm scared :eek:

ps:what should her work load be like when newly shod, obv got to take easy and see how she goes, but is it ok to gently trot on roads and trot/canter on flatish non stoney paths?

Hi kate I didn't reply before because although mine are all barefoot they have always been that way so some of your questions I can't answer, however I think the question re when to do it is really upto you in the sense of how much are you riding at the moment by that I mean if you are managing to get out every day on long hacks then maybe do the backs first but if you arn't getting out that much you could pull the lot or you just adjust her workload and do short hacks each day. One thing I would say is be patient and if she heads for the grass verges don't panic and wop the shoes straight back on !

Infections I can't really help with as mine are pretty good, Syd did have 2 abscesses but that was after the laminitus and to be honest you will know if she gets one of those:eek:

Re the workload listen to your horse she will tell you if it's too much my farrier always says I will know before him if their feet can't stand the workload. Trotting on roads is fine just remember she has had shoes on so if it's gravelly she will feel it so try to pick smoother tarmac for a start, same with canter go for softer tracks.

She may surprise you and be fine over most surfaces you will just have to try it worst case scenario is she can't cope and has to be shod again but her feet look good so go for it and don't be scared:D

Okay - I'm no expert but have just undergone the same process so can tell you what I have found.

It's ultimately up to you whether you do backs off only or all 4. I did all 4, but Lance's feet were struggling in his remedial shoes so it was asap with him. He also weight bares and wears away his backs more than his fronts which is opposite to most horses, so I figured if he was going to get sore it would be the backs anyway so no benefit leaving fronts on...

Taking backs of first (if she's a normal horse lol), will probably mean an easier transition for you in terms of her workload. But it will also drag it out a little longer *if* she is going to get sore...

Your plan of drier fields sounds a good one. If there is a hardcore/tarmac/concrete entrance into the field at all, then it might be good to encourage her to move across that (perhaps put her water on it, or hay if she gets it). This will help stimulate growth of the hooves, but without the additional weight of a rider if she might get sore. Not essential but helpful if you can do it.

Infections: White line disease (WLD) is the most common I found - perhaps thrush with Annie if she is in wet fields. The WLD is likely even in a healthy hoove, whilst there are empty nail holes there. I scrubbed on a weekly basis with milton's solution (disinfectant - careful which you use though, some are too strong and too often will alter the pH of a healthy foot), which kept it at bay. Once the nail holes disappear fingers crossed no problems. WLD presence will show as black in the nail holes (can be in the white line too hence the name but I found the nail holes were the worst with lance).

Workload...well depends totally on her individually.
Lance trotted up sound on concrete immediately. He was touchy on stones but apart from that he was pretty good for 3 weeks. At which point I panicked as he went very very foot sore and wasn't sound even on a school surface :eek: He was like that for 2 weeks and now okay again. Speaking to my vet (he's under vet observation anyway due to the fact he had had remedial shoes on for an injury so he wants to keep up to date on how he's doing with careful trimming and no remedial shoes), he felt it was a mechanical laminitus. Apparently he sees it reasonably regularly in similar situations with horses who wear shoes for long periods of time. When shoes are removed, initially the feet function as normal so sound. Then the internal structures begin to alter again to correct themselves and behave as they should in a 'bare' hoof. This caused soreness which eased as it improved. Thats a very non technical and probably not terribly correct explanation but it's a vague version of what was explained to me.

Lance is okay on most going - but on hard going even though sound he is shorter in his stride.

I am going to boot to try to ease this but also because his feet wouldn't grow fast enough to deal with the wear of my normal workload which I want to maintain. I could do without boots, but with Lance would have to take things slower and shorter in distance...

Annie might or might not be footsore - but either way you will need to take into account that her feet might not grow as fast as they wear down yet. So keep an eye on that...

I hope that helps a little - it's only my experience but it's a recent one ;) Annie's feet are in better nik that his and we're doing okay so I'm sure she will to!! Good luck =]

newrider.com