Animal Friends insurance?

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
Just been looking at getting Ms Roxy insured - got a good quote from Animal Friends, are they OK? Not one of the ones with a rep for not paying out?

Be careful and check the small print. A friend has just had issues with her insurance I think it may be animal friends but I might be wrong. First of all the small print says you have to pay the excess or 17.5% of the total claim, whichever is the larger. She didn't realise this until she had to claim. Then they have now decided that they are not going to pay out on a condition they should have paid out for and she is having real problems. If I were you I'd go for a more well-known company just for peace of mind!

As with any insurance, it's just about reading the T&C's carefully - Animal Friends Petplan, NFU etc are just 'brands' for want of a better word, it's the underwriter or insurer that will set the T&C's, take your premium & ultimately pay claims. The underwriter will often change - not always, but they can do.

I personally haven't heard of RedSands who underwrite Animal Friends (I work in insurance). That's not to say they are bad, though.

I'm with AmTrust Equine myself & have been with Petplan previously.

I was with Scottish Equestrian when Rubic injured herself. They paid out no bother and are underwritten by the same people as PetPlan who I'm with now. I've heard good things about PetPlan, KBIS and NFU.

ETA It is always worth speaking to your vet; I know that if you are insured with certain companies ours will ask you to pay up front for certain treatments then you have to claim back the money from your insurers.

KBIS are fabulous. I had Storm insured with them for ten years and they have never had a problem paying out for anything. The staff are super helpful too. Joe was with NFU originally but they put his premium up to £1000 which I could not afford, and they wouldn't insure Storm unless we changed our household policy over to them. They did pay out for J's leg though - and didn't quibble so they were good in that respect.

I am with petplan. I have had one claim for about £900 (for a cut!!!) which they paid out no problem. I pay £32 per month which isn't too bad, plus I got a free jacket when I took out the policy which is still going strong almost 3 years later.

Reactions: squidsin
I want a free jacket! I am looking longingly at jodhpurs on eBay but as I am buying a horse this month and putting it on part-livery, I really am COMPLETELY skint!

Reactions: Trewsers
I want a free jacket! I am looking longingly at jodhpurs on eBay but as I am buying a horse this month and putting it on part-livery, I really am COMPLETELY skint!

I need new jodhs.....I keep dropping hints to OH every time we go to our local tack shop! But it falls on deaf ears atm as both girlies have just cost me £240 in teeth and feet.....

Ouch! What sort of jods would you get? As I normally wear skinny jeans in 'real life,' I have 4 pairs of denim jods! Was thinking of getting something different but needs to be something I'd actually WEAR as otherwise a total waste of money. I do not think the two tone sort are very flattering on me - I bought some Hacked Off ones in bright pink and black and my husband laughed his head off at me. So not them!

I love the look of denim jodhs but I've fallen out with mine as the other day I rode in my Harry Hall traditional ones, they are quite high waisted but jolly comfy!
I adore Mountain Horse ones - I can't remember the name of the design but our tack shop have some in, in dark navy. They are delicious and feel nice and soft - but I haven't got £70 spare...boo hiss...

Reactions: squidsin
newrider.com