Animal droppings - help me identify please!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I wish I had taken a photo (not that I am any good at getting them onto here) but anyways...the other day I noticed in our school some rather unusual droppings. Definitely not sheep (we have loads of that stuff!), definitely not cow, certainly not hoss, and I don't think dog either! Anybody know what or how big Fox poo is? Or deer poop? I know we have the odd deer (watched one leap over one of our fences not long ago). Thing is, whatever it was must have been quite cunning and slim to get into the school as the gates are always closed when I'm not about - it must have come through the gaps in the fencing (post and rail). Or jumped. It was a khaki green colour (I know this post sounds ridiculous but I am so curious as to what left me a deposit!:frown:)
Glad I didn't choose that day to fall off into it - I can cope with horse poo but not unknown entities!:unsure:

Fox poo can look like a smallish dogs', but it has a tapered point at one end, usually greyish and contain some hair. And it might smell when fresh.

Roe deer droppings are dark, in a sort of pile, and they also have a pointy end at one side, and the other side will be slightly indented.

Red deer droppings look a bit like - coffee drinkers look away now! - large dark coffee beans! Sometimes stuck together a bit like sheep's, too.

could it have been a bird dropping not all birds do little poops which are black and white. I have seen some nasty looking stuff from poultry.:poop::unsure:

Foxes poo in our school, I thought it was the cats then realised its a bit too big for them and a friend said it was foxes as they made a den in the side of the school last year.

Fox poo is similar to a smallish dog poo and very dark in colour.

I believe deer poo in pellit style a bit like a rabbit.

Oh and fox poo is apparently poisonous to dogs?

Fox poo does smell bad, maybe Badgers? They normally dig a little hole and then poo... it can be green and not smell as bad...

Last edited:
I've not noticed fox poo smells - there was one outside Roxy's stable the other day, ewww!

But they are small and black, similar to dog poo but on a smaller scale.

The only other animal poo I would recognise is chicken poo - they're vile, and surprisingly large sometimes! :poop:

Thanks for the replies. It was a khaki kind of colour, but I don't know if it smelled (wasn't brave enough to get that close lol - OH got it on the end of the spade!). It looked a little bit like a small doggie type poop - but not quite right if you know what I mean!
It was sort of like in "segments" (I know this thread sounds quite silly but I am so curious).
I will have to look out for more, because if more comes, I suspect Mr Fox, and I will be on the alert for his smell, last time I had one visit the smell was awful, he sprayed everywhere in the outhouse!

Well, I don't think its cat, cos we are 2 miles from the nearest people that have one - and, in almost four years I've not seen it venture down to our place - however, there is always a first time!! I don't know but there was just something about it that didn't look like any poop I've seen before from animals. (Not that I spend a lot of time analysing animal droppings you understand........!!!)

Thanks for that link Missmare - I am thinking that it could have been badger poop! How exciting, maybe I'll be lucky enough to see him if he returns.......

Could be the Beast Of Bog Moor?........................... I have a book on strange but true happenings in Britain, and a large black cat, twice the size of your average Moggy, was pictured. He'd been seen and shot.. then stuffed..

It shows him in a sitting position, and yes, he is a VERY large moggy!:eek:

newrider.com