And we’re there...

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
Yeah I’ll get him out to one once I fix the trailer lights. Niko’s not been ridden much in the paddock, I could probably count the number of times on my fingers so I’m not worried, it’s just a bit frustrating.

It definitely is. I’ve never had one who rides like him so it is frustrating me as well 😅 I’m hoping he’s different when I get back on him this time round 😃

Reactions: Jessey

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I’ve not been riding monkey, between work and daylight even a couple of rides a week was unsustainable. And as I’ve decided this job isn’t for me and am waiting on vetting on a new one, I’ve decided to cut myself some slack.
The downside is he’s in full brat mode! Nothing can be left where he can reach it anyway but his climbing skills are growing and this morning he’s climbed into the barn hay box to reach into the horse free zone behind it and pull out rugs -pulled the neck clean off his fly rug!, tarps, spare fence posts and eat his way into a bale of bedding 🤦‍♀️
00CA7E73-5AEF-4AEE-BC58-416415F3A706.jpeg
I could throttle him!

• Wow
Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I’ve not been riding monkey, between work and daylight even a couple of rides a week was unsustainable. And as I’ve decided this job isn’t for me and am waiting on vetting on a new one, I’ve decided to cut myself some slack.
The downside is he’s in full brat mode! Nothing can be left where he can reach it anyway but his climbing skills are growing and this morning he’s climbed into the barn hay box to reach into the horse free zone behind it and pull out rugs -pulled the neck clean off his fly rug!, tarps, spare fence posts and eat his way into a bale of bedding 🤦‍♀️
View attachment 115056
I could throttle him!
Another one for the naughty step!

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Oh he is mischievous isn’t he! Zi is the same. At night we have to make sure the entrance to the cat barn has a barrow and something else in front, else he pokes his head in and pierces bales of shavings or horsehage!!!! He will nibble anything and do just about anything when he’s that way at night!! Argh. Don’t know if yours will grow out of it but Zi is 18 and not showing any signs.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
He’s not called monkey for no reason! Jess was stood diagonally in the barn eating a dumpy bag of hay, he shot in the tiny gap behind her risking a kick, whizzed around her, crashed over the bag of hay and off outside. I have absolutely no idea what his game plan was 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
He’s not called monkey for no reason! Jess was stood diagonally in the barn eating a dumpy bag of hay, he shot in the tiny gap behind her risking a kick, whizzed around her, crashed over the bag of hay and off outside. I have absolutely no idea what his game plan was 🤷🏻‍♀️
Zi has a plan lol, he actually picks his empty bucket up and hurls it at Storm if he can - but he only does it when she's standing quietly. Like he's trying to deliberately wake her up poor lass!

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Spoiled monkey, just picked up a fairfax girth for him to try! Let’s hope he likes it when I finally get around to getting back on him - I’ve been really struggling since the clocks changed 😔

Reactions: Trewsers

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I lunged monkey yesterday very briefly to try out the new girth, all was well so I hopped on this morning and headed out.
What a tit he was! Started out fine but turned the first corner and he lost it over a decorative lawn edge that’s been newly installed 🤦‍♀️ then a man on a bike 🤦‍♀️ then a cat walking along the path🤦‍♀️ then a parked van 🤦‍♀️ then where someone had dug over a flower bed 🤦‍♀️ and a few invisible ghosts 🤦‍♀️ each requiring banana-ing fixation and complete loss of any steering, then the world nearly ended when there was a parked car on one side and a parked van on the other and he just hit reverse. So I got off and walked. Tit.

It’s just time off and being a baby but sheesh, I thought we were past all the drama.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Got out with monkey in company today, first proper ride in weeks and weeks. He was a bit fresh during his 10 minutes on the lunge first, but actually really well behaved once I got on, only one tuck and launch incident!
He was a bit of a turd about going in front to start with, but soon got over it, and didn’t loose his mind when our company got very excited and huffed and bounced behind us. He was a very tired monkey after 90 minutes, which was good for the first time he saw alpaca’s and donkeys 🤣 poor kid 🙈

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
First ride of the new year and it was a cracker. We went out with H, I decided monkey could suck it up and lead from the outset (his comfort zone is to follow), we had a little bit of a discussion after some spooking, slamming breaks on and backing up, no thank you! But when he got over himself we had a lovely 2 hours around the Forest getting back just as it got dark. We had lots of trotting and H was puffing and sweating and monkey was still cool as a cucumber, that arab bit is definitely noticeable.
036F70E4-54B4-4470-B5BB-223B636264AE.jpeg F4326CD4-386E-4C9F-9CF4-7920AD9943DF.jpeg 3EC522E9-34FD-4F85-9033-3AD143B655C9.jpeg

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
We had a bit of a break through today, since I came off he’s done everything with the hand brake still half on, his anxiety shows this way and I’ve had to ride really positively, today he finally relaxed and let it off and we had a lovely forward ride 🥰 it was so nice. He was really good with the wind, just wasn’t so keen walking head on into it.
We got back just as it was getting dark
1C99E486-06AE-4394-8795-30AC1F0ED5B2.jpeg

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Riding hasn’t happened since I started the new job, but I’m settling in fast and evening light is drawing out so I’m hoping to get in more of a rhythm now.
So I’ve booked a couple of weekends away at one of the places I ride to, so we’ve got until May to get fit and strong enough for his first bigger ride (15 miles each way) and 2 night stay 😁

newrider.com