And the grazing muzzle goes on.

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
He's going to hate it I know he is, but I'm now at a point of rock and hard place. I've always maintained that I would rather my horse be slightly over weight and happy than stuck with a grazing muzzle on and frustrated.

But due to circumstances beyond my control our horses are having to move. And elec fencing is a no go in the new place. So the only option I have is a muzzle, with him having a break from it each day for a feed of some chaff or hay. Even then with him having it on, I'm making the hole bigger than the current piddly size it is, so he can eat more as he'll be having it on for more than 12 hours a day, and I know they still need to get enough fibre for their hind gut, and the current size plus a feed won't allow enough intake for that to happen.

Dreading it a bit, but he has to loose the weight. :banghead:

I feel your pain!!! I'm soon moving to new grazing which is pretty long so both of mine are going to be sporting muzzles

He'll be fine. They normally have a few hours of upset and then I just accept it. I think it's harder for us tbh than it is on them.

Mine's had hers on since March. The grass just keeps sprouting up this year and I would much rather her have the space to be free and move around rather than stuck in a bare tiny square paddock or a stable. She gets a break from it every day.

In perfect situation I would do the paddock paradise thing and wean her off the muzzle but tape and posts are so expensive!

I've got the tapes and posts from a previous time when we rented our own land and had to much for them to graze on, but no fencing is allowed by local rules and regulations where they are :stomp:

I brought the muzzle about 4 years ago and have put it on him each year except this year thinking 'I'll do it!' but I can't put it on him and walk away, each time I turned back I was getting puppy dog eyes and him calling to me over the gate. Softie me would take it off after 10 mins :banghead: Tonight will be different !

I should really muzzle our shetland he is so fat, but i have the option of strip grazing but even fresh air is making him fat.

I have the muzzle just know he will put up a fight about it.

He will be fine. After a little while he will forget he even has one on.

My welsh pony has eaten a bigger hole all by herself into her dinky rugs muzzle clever girl!

which grazing muzzle are you using as ive just been told we have to move to lusher grass and my cob is already fat! i cant get up to yard twice a day so he will have to have it on for longer than 12 hours so will i have to make hole bigger as well? is it ok to leave it on longer?

newrider.com