And it was all going so well....Strangles :-(

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Oscar was coughing a bit in the morning. By lunchtime he had gone dramatically down hill and I called out the emergency vet. She thinks he has strangles.

Attention then turned to where he got it from and the only new horse recently is Amber. Vet examined her and she has a small old lump on her neck. I had spotted this and had asked advice about it and was initially told that it was nothing to worry about - fly bite or something. No heat, swelling, pain. No other clinical signs. So just keep an eye on it. But in light of Oscar's symptoms now vet thinks maybe she had an atypical presentation of strangles: ie just a throat abcess and nothing else. So they have been isolated and the yard is in lockdown. I've had to tell everyone I rode with on Saturday which is horrible. People are being lovely though... I have had so many texts, messages of support saying don't blame yourself it could happen to anyone. Our yard does not have a policy of insisting on a -ve strangles test when new horses arrive. I wish it did! But the vet said there is no point individuals testing: it needs to be yard-led and horses come and go off our yard all the time. Although Oscar being ill is horrible, I am glad my horse only infected another one of my own horses and no-one else's. So far at least.

My only consolation is the vet assures me both horses will be totally fine. Vet also said that if Amber had got sick at the dealer's yard she would probably have been put down! 10% of horses with strangles die but the vast majority of that figure is euthansia as people don't want the hassle and expense!! Only 1% die of the disease itself and they are usually very old, very young or have underlying health problems. So I guess people kill the affected horse and never declare the outbreak which seems SO irresponsible. Not to mention callous on the poor horses who are unlucky enough to get ill :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So my lovely girl probably dodged a bullet there LITERALLY. Bless her. So glad she is with me now so she can be looked after properly.

Thanks @chev and @Trewsers

People can get so hysterical about strangles they can make you feel like a leper! I was TERRIFIED about having to tell people. I am even a bit scared to tell you lot but most people are supportive so I thought I'd be brave..... But I have been overwhelmed with the level of support. Even from people whose own horses are at risk. People are generally so kind. Apart from the ones who aren't!! But I will try to ignore those!!!!

Oh no! I hope Oscar recovers quickly and no other horses are infected.
As everyone else says, you are not to blame, you didn't go out and buy a horse that you knew had strangles. You have just been unlucky.
Sending healing vibes your way xx

Reactions: KP nut
I know. Vet is scoping both 2 weeks after Oscar has no clinical signs. Rest of herd will have blood tests and any +ves will be scoped.

That;s why it's so stressful for me - ALL the owners are affected. They can't go anywhere, they are on the whole disinfect everything, take temps twice a day malarkey, they are worried about their horses and they have to pay for blood tests! It's awful for everyone.

There is a designated 'Vet In Charge of the Outbreak' who is telling everyone what to do. It all seems very efficient. She has obviously done this a few times!!

Well what strikes me is that this is the second horse from that same dealer with a dodgy or incomplete vet record.
Amber sounds great - but may be that dealer is one you should have avoided at all costs - or even taken to court to get your money back.

People hear the word strangles and panic, you're right though nowadays majority of horses recover. Not your fault KP although I can imagine how you felt having to tell the other liveries. If you all keep to the vets advice then hopefully it won't spread to anyone else. They said bad luck comes in 3's maybe this will be it for you now.

Reactions: sophie33 and KP nut
Well what strikes me is that this is the second horse from that same dealer with a dodgy or incomplete vet record.
Amber sounds great - but may be that dealer is one you should have avoided at all costs - or even taken to court to get your money back.

Yes well hindsight is a wonderful thing!! The dealer had excellent reviews everywhere I looked. Nothing bad to be found and plenty of recommendations from plenty of people eg threads on HH and other forums. And the court option was a non started after I looked into it. Once you have started legal action there is no turning back without paying your own solicitors off at vast expense. I would have lost more money in lost wages having to deal with the court case than I would have got back if I won.

Oh no, how dreadful for you all.

After our yard was shut for 6 months due to strangles a number of years ago, they now have a very strict policy. All horses have to go into isolation until a clear blood test is recorded. Unfortunately Ben did not test clear and I had to pay £500 to have his guttural pouches cleared. I am glad I did though because he could have passed it round the yard. He had strangles when he was 4 and recovered easily so I hope that your horses do as well.

Oh crikey, lots of healing vibes coming your way for Oscar and Amber.
Don't feel bad, it could have happened to anyone.x

What a stressful time, but it really isn't your fault and you have done the morally right and responsible thing by informing everyone that could be effected.

Years ago my friends direct next door neighbour didn't inform them they had strangles, I and about 30 other horses had been down there for a show (driving and riding right past the gate of the effected property, within 50 yards of their stables and fields the horses were out in) and then on to other venues none the wiser, we were all livid when we found out :mad:

On the other hand I have 3 friends who's horses had strangles (2 of which are professional trainers so loads of horses coming and going), all of which was brought in with a new horse which then went on to infect others on the yard, by freely passing along information and with strict adherence to the vets instructions, both had it under control and only 1 or 2 others were infected, it was cleared up relatively quickly and all the horses were none the worse for wear :)

It really is more common that we like to admit :( My neighbours horses (which includes Harry that I had at mine for D in the summer), 3 fields down, have been sick with a mystery illness, the vet thinks a virus with a secondary bacterial infection, it's been going on since before Xmas and they seem to perk up with anitbiotics, bute, steroids & ventipulmin then 2 weeks later have a relapse....it is worrying but she is taking every precaution, there is a concern that could be strangles too but the vet doesn't think so and bloods haven't indicated it is.

Oh no! Poor you - but it really could have happened to anyone so try not to beat yourself up. And it is a really big consolation that - thanks to you buying Amber - she is safe and well cared for. She looks like such a lovely girl x

Of course it isn't your fault. Our yard is the same, horses come and go, go out to social events etc. Anyone at any time could bring in a disease and they all have to catch it from somewhere! I was hunting in your neck of the woods yesterday so if it's in the area I could have brought it home, although I am careful not to let Raf touch noses with another horse, which is the best I can do. You couldn't have a horse tested each time it had left the yard for a competition or something anyway. I'm glad Amber is safe, hope Oscar recovers quickly.

ETA you said the vet thinks it's Strangles. Is it confirmed or just a very strong suspicion?

It is not yet confirmed. But vet said we had to assume it was strangles - ie tell everyone potentially affected and take all precautions - until we proved it wasn't. Results will be back tomorrow. It seems likely though. Oscar does have all the classic symptoms and Amber could be the carrier. It just makes sense. But I will know for sure tomorrow. What a relief if it's not!

newrider.com