An update on the wee man

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
B has been looking decidedly stiff this summer so I had the vet out to see him on Thursday. She agreed he is stepping very short with his right hind and declared him a little lame on his left fore in trot only. (I had noticed this a couple days previously when he was trotting in the field) She had a good feel of his legs, could find nothing worrying in the left fore and said his right hind hock joint felt quite square and said it's most likely spavin.

So the wee man has been on 2 sachets of bute a day, going down to one sachet tomorrow and then hopefully down to 1/2 sachet daily maintenance.

He looks much better all ready and appears more cheerful so I think he must have been sore.

I'm wondering if I should split his bute so he still has some morning and night?. (So 1/2 sachet tomorrow morning and 1/2 sachet tomorrow night)

Glad he is feeling better in himself already. People that give bute on my yard don't tend to split it but that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, sorry hope someone more helpful replies soon!

Sorry to hear B isn't feeling so great :(
I think you get a more consistent level of pain relief & anti-inflamatory effect if you split the dose as bute only stays in their system for 8 hours or so, but then you don't get that big reduction in one hit, so personal choice really :)

I would split it, you could always top him up with something like turmeric or Devils claw to help as well. The turmeric really helps Kia, I activate it with cinnamon instead of pepper as I just thought it was too acidic for his Tum :)

Glad he's feeling better :)

newrider.com