An American Stole My Foot Soldier

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Pointless thread really but yes - as the title states, I was minding my own business, out on a hack, chatting to my mate when a car stopped and shouted at my mate over the hedgerow. I continued walking along hoping they were just asking for directions but then they pulled up further along, blocking our track for the most part. I walked on, not knowing what had been discussed, the wifey got out the car and stood infront of me. My mate was still walking behind so I had no idea what was going on and chose just to continue past them as they spoke to me. The lady then accosted my friend - asking her all sorts of questions about the local area. My friend lives a few miles along the road so isn't exactly familiar with the area. They then tried it with me (as I had now paused a little further on hoping my mate would hurry up!) they seemed oblivious to the fact that I was on my horse and not for talking!

I had to tell them that at any moment I may have to move on as Flipo would get agitated. (And I hate standing for too long as he creates his own entertainment usually of the spooking variety).
The wifey wanted to know who lives in the castle (my livery yard owner is the resident and local laird), she said she had an elderly relative with loads of photos and info about the area and she wanted to pass it to the laird. I told her where he lived - pointed at the building behind her, but she seemed intent on getting my email address so I could forward it to him. She asked me if he owned all the land around and was this his inherited home - I started telling her I didn't know him that well and have only known the area since I got Flipo 2 years ago! I suggested she go speak to them at the castle, or possibly the house just in the livery yard which the daughter lives in. She asked if they are friendly, I said well they always say hi but I don't know them very well to be honest but always nice. She then persisted and Flip started to act up so I said I'm sorry I have to go. The woman then asked if my friend knew me well?! (strange question - how do you answer that? !) Then she asked if my mate knew my email address:? (while I was still there) and gave my friend my email address while I had to just continue on myself back to the field.

So successful hack - on outward part had foot soldier walking just behind the saddle. Went for a trot and was quite happy, came round into livery yard, fine - friend still behind quite a bit from trotting. Then through yard, down onto track back to field where the foreigners caught us and I had to hack back alone (with no problems might I add - when forced, I survived!!)
Weird evening. Now waiting on an email - don't know what I'm supposed to do with whatever it is she's sending me.
There's some strange people in this world that have forced me to face my fears of lone hacking - sometimes things just seem to happen for a reason. Thanks to whoever or whatever conspired to create that little scenario, I'm now feeling a bit more confident!!

Maybe this wifey has a rich son who's going to come sweep me off my feet........ I can dream lol!

It was fate! Karma obviously realised you have been having it tough lately so thought this situation might do you some good!

So, I suggest (while you have this good karma) asking all about any single sons/nephews/godsons this woman may have...and how rich they are :wink:. Also run with the confidence missy, I have a firm hold of mine right now.

Who knows what may happen from this randomness, we could be reading a "Any volunteers to look after Flip whilst I am on honeymoon on a private island in the Carribbean" thread this time next year................................

:spin:

How very odd - but jolly useful really in that it forced you to hack on your own!:biggrin:

Have to agree that some of these American tourists are very 'in your face':rolleyes: - had some a few years back knock on our door and wanting (quite forcefully actually) to look around the old cottage as their ancesters had lived in it a zillion years ago!

They seemed rather disappointed that we weren't still living on mud floors with a straw pallet under the eaves for our bed!:bounce:

Yes - I think she did you a favour there!

I quite enjoy stopping and chatting to people when I ride in the village. But sometimes they go on a bit, and I used to niggle Barney a bit with the reins and my legs so he'd start fidgeting, and I could say "Sorry, have to go, horse is getting restless" ....

newrider.com