An afternoon with Ben....

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Unfortunately I forgot my camera again! I spent the afternoon with Ben today as I wanted to make 100% sure that he is the horse for me.

I had been told that he is very difficult to catch unless he knows you and this is his only vice. Apparently he often takes hours to catch. So I went into his field and thought that it would take ages to get him, but he let me put his headcollar on the first attempt and we walked straight in!

I spent ages grooming him. I felt every part of his body and brushed him everywhere. He was so relaxed he almost fell to sleep and his bottom lip was all droopy. He picked his feet up for me again and was so well mannered, he moved over at the slightest touch.

I tacked him up and again he was perfect. His tack is included in the sale, but I don't think that it fits him that well. I'm not expert but I think that his saddle needs reflocking so that is one of the first things that I will get checked out.

So, I got on and we went in the school. He was perfect to mount and didn't move off till I asked him to. There was someone jumping a young horse in the school and zooming around us and he didn't bat an eyelid. We went through the paces and did some 'proper' work, but what I love so much is the feeling to complete safety and the fact that I can drop the reinds and he won't go anywhere. I have no nerves and no worries when I am riding him. I then took him on a mini hack down the road. He was a complete star and didn't react to anything.

I talked to an old owner of his who agreed that we would be perfectly matched. Everyone on the yard came and wished me well and said that they would be sad to see him go.

All I need for him is to pass the vetting on Tuesday and I will join the world of skint horse owners. I don't think that I have ever wanted everything so badly in my whole life. His new home is all arranged and waiting for him. Part of me wants to cancel the vetting and just get him home, but my husband is making me see sense and insisting that I get it done. I can't wait until Tuesday evenig when it is all over!

Really pleased for you :D Fingers crossed for the vetting but you need to work on the lack of photos ! ;)

Sounds like a perfect day. I have everything crossed for you for Tuesday!! I shall be eagerly awaiting your post to say he passed and get some photos on!!!
I had some catching issues with Caymen in the summer and he was a right pest. I got some fantastic advice which I used to the letter and it really works. Nothing more frustrating than a horse that wont catch!!!! Give me shout if you require said advice :biggrin:

I had some catching issues with Caymen in the summer and he was a right pest. I got some fantastic advice which I used to the letter and it really works. Nothing more frustrating than a horse that wont catch!!!! Give me shout if you require said advice :biggrin:

Thank you. We have decided that when he gets to the new yard he will be out during the night and in during the day. He will come in about lunchtime to a small feed and a stable full of hay. He will then stay in until the evening when i come and fuss and ride him, and then I will turn him out again. We are hoping that he will quickly realise that he comes in for food and that should solve the catching issues. He is a horse who LOVES his food!

Argh...really rooting for you MP and hoping all goes well with the vetting on Tuesday. I fully understand that you can't wait to get him home, I would be like you and wanting to cancel the vetting too to hurry things up. I am very much a heart-rules-head person tho :wub::redface: and honestly don't think I could ever change.

It's not too long now tho in any case - keep yourself as busy as poss tomorrow, then your day is here :biggrin:

Can't wait to read your post on Tuesday night ...........

Thank you. We have decided that when he gets to the new yard he will be out during the night and in during the day. He will come in about lunchtime to a small feed and a stable full of hay. He will then stay in until the evening when i come and fuss and ride him, and then I will turn him out again. We are hoping that he will quickly realise that he comes in for food and that should solve the catching issues. He is a horse who LOVES his food!

A very good plan!! That will do the trick no doubt and a really good routine too. I wish it was Tuesday!!:dance::dance::dance:

Oh goodness.... the pressure is REALLY on for him to pass the vetting, isn't it? I hope he flies through and you're not hugely disappointed, MP.

Although I would also say that if all goes well and you do collect him, he may be a little unsettled to be in a new environment and with a new mum so might play up a bit. However, if you can hold onto the memories of how he was today, they will help you cope with any outbursts that may happen whilst he settles.... you KNOW he will be fine, given the support and time to settle.

How exciting :dance:

Thank you everyone!

Although I would also say that if all goes well and you do collect him, he may be a little unsettled to be in a new environment and with a new mum so might play up a bit. However, if you can hold onto the memories of how he was today, they will help you cope with any outbursts that may happen whilst he settles.... you KNOW he will be fine, given the support and time to settle.
:

I know that he might be different, but I have great support at my new yard and a long line of people who have offered to ride him for me if there are any teething problems. I have realised that I have some really lovely people around me and without their support I don't think that I would have the confidence to do any of this. Its a real dream come true.

Have got everything very tightly crossed indeed for the vetting tomorrow. The two of you sound so right together.

I'm so excited and nervous and sleep deprived I just don't know what to do with myself. My non horsey friends think that with all the stress I have been under with my son that I have finally lost my mind! You lot are really the only people who can understand the dream of having your own horse and I am just a day away from it happening.

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excited for you, MP!

Can't wait to hear how it goes with the vetting.

And don't you dare forget your camera again! We need pics! :biggrin:

newrider.com