Am on 'fox watch'

happyhacker101

Mar 19, 2007
scotland
Saw a huge dog fox this morning whilst poo picking my field - came out of the undergrowth, walked right past my field gate where all my hens were standing:poop: Hens all averted their eyes and you could see them thinking - if I cant see him, he cant see me:giggle: Anyway, I shouted at him, not that he even looked up - but he carried on walking....

Please let him find somewhere else to live:frown: In 10 years of living here and keeping hens, we've never ever been bothered by foxes:frown:

Thanks CN - did wonder if this is why he's turned up. I've spoken to the farmer across the road and he'd seen him on Sunday but forgot to tell me - he cant afford to have a fox about because of the shoot - hopefully, Mr Fox will move on but am afraid he will be shot by the farmer if he doesnt.

It's certainly that time of year! Coming back from the paddock at dusk a couple of days ago a huge dog fox shot out from our neighbour's drive, right under my nose. I thought "Oh the chickens!" and hurried to the back garden, but fortunately Junior Spaniel and Senior Chicken Guard Peri was on duty with raised hackles and an enormous WOOF and both chooks were safe.

*phew*

Nooooo Mr Fox ... leave them chucks alone !!!! I`m laughing at the vision in my head, of all your girls, literally looking anywhere other than in the direction of the fox, whilst whistling away, like *dum dee dum dee dum, if we look away he won`t know we`re here ... *whistling a tune* :giggle:

I've never seen our foxes, smelled 'em but not seen. They have eaten some of farmers chickens - what a pest.
Hope they leave yours alone. Such a shame that they are a predator, they are very handsome (my Dad used to paint pictures of them but I've never actually seen a "real" one properly).
Funnily enough when we lived in suburbia we had a neighbourhood urban fox, but he was slinky and we didn't see him that often - just lurking near the bins.

Well, we still have all eight hens at the moment:dance: I haven't seen Mr Fox again but I can still smell him so he could still be around. I'm being very careful that the hens are in bed way before it starts to get dark - not that this is a 100% way of keeping them safe as he will come in daylight should he wish

Tis a shame that he needs to be moved on as he is a stunning looking fox - I actually have rather a soft spot for Mr Fox but he sadly cant stay around here with the shoot birds and my hens

The hens are spending a lot of time with the goats at the moment - I wonder if they feel safer with them? Will a fo try it's luck if there is something larger in with the hens?

Glad hens are all ok :)

mind you dont go chasing my foxy, some people might get upset about it :biggrin: :wink:

Well, we still have all eight hens at the moment:dance: I haven't seen Mr Fox again but I can still smell him so he could still be around. I'm being very careful that the hens are in bed way before it starts to get dark - not that this is a 100% way of keeping them safe as he will come in daylight should he wish

Tis a shame that he needs to be moved on as he is a stunning looking fox - I actually have rather a soft spot for Mr Fox but he sadly cant stay around here with the shoot birds and my hens

The hens are spending a lot of time with the goats at the moment - I wonder if they feel safer with them? Will a fo try it's luck if there is something larger in with the hens?

We've had foxes and otters snaffle chooks and turkeys right next to the kennels so not sure how wary they would be of goats.

No, im not going to chase Mr Fox the local farmer will do that. It's not foxes that have previously killed my hens but weasles - loads of them about round here

No, im not going to chase Mr Fox the local farmer will do that. It's not foxes that have previously killed my hens but weasles - loads of them about round here

Weasels make some mess, we had some chooks taken and the mess was horrendous couldnt figure out what it was until the next door neighbour came looking for his ferrets :furious:

Needless to say he had to replace what was lost :devil:

We used to have a lot of weasels, they are quite amusing to watch (until they catch a rabbit and you have to look away). I had them in the bathroom too - they live in the ceiling (we have it open to the beams you see). Really funny creatures, you can see their bellies when you're in the bath! Hehehehee. Not seen them a while though, I think next door has got rid of them. I don't think his missus would cope well with anything small and furry.......(thats a whole other story!!!!)
I ended up raising a rabbit that the weasel had half attacked once, she was only a baby and became part of the family.....oh dear, I really shouldn't live where I do at times, nature can be so cruel, there is such a pecking order to it all.........

newrider.com