Am I Too big for the Ponies I ride?

Bearnecessities

Dec 2, 2006
Marske
I am 5''6 and weigh 10.13 stone (although it is going down) and I'm wondering wether or not I'm too big for the riding school ponies that I ride. They are:
Biscuit - 13.2hh Highland pony gelding.
Tiffany - 14hh cobby pony mare.
Holly - 13.3hh Connemara mare.
Tommy - 14.1hh cob gelding.
Black Bob - 14hh Fell pony gelding.
Kevin - 13hh irish pony gelding.
Buster - 12.2hh heinz variety gelding.
Billy - 12.3hh heinz gelding.
Toby - 12hh Welsh x gelding.
They don't seem to be uncomforable when I ride them and often the likes of Tiffany, Holly, Kevin and Toby can be difficult to stop when they get going. Biscuit is VERY spooky and sometimes takes off when he sees something scary and bucks. Tommy, Black Bob, Buster and Billy can be a bit lazier but I can still manage to keep them near the front of the ride and they don't try and stop when I ride them - they are often even lazier for other people.

I don't think you are too big for the ponies you ride at all - esp not the 14hh ones!

the only problem area sounds like the bucking, but if it's only when he spooks maybe it's just what he does?

I'm 5'3" and ride a 12hh pony and nobody has ever mentioned him being too small for me! AND ponies are lots more fun! :)

Its hard to say without seeing pictures of you on the ponies, by the sounds of it they can cope with you fine but you may look too tall on a pony of 12hands.
Welshies are strong breeds but ............and I'm only say this on what I would do, I would say the ponies nearer 12hands may be too small weight wise to.

Please dont think I'm trying to be nasty, I'm really not

Probably not but I personally would find it hard to ride the smallest ones as they are unlikely to be able to have a saddle that fits me ( I am 5'7). Having said that I used to get on daughters 12hh Welsh pony when it was being particularly naughty and although I felt odd the pony still worked OK

I shouldn't think your weight would be a problem to the Fell and Highland pony but it all depends how you sit really. Some people ride very light and others heavy. How tall are you? If over 5'8" I think you might be more comfortable on a horse. I'm 5'1" and a slim build but certainly feel too big on a 12.2hh unless it's exceptionally cobby such as an Exmoor.​

Last edited:
if the pony dips back/raises head and swishes tail when you mount and seems to stagger for the first few steps after, then you're probably too much - but you certainly don't eed to lose weight!

newrider.com