Am i pony squishing??

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
There is a lovely little pony at the RS who they put me on once a while ago when there were alot of lame horses out of work. At the time i was like 'really, are you sure i won't squash him' but when i rode him i LOVED him.

He is just so lovely, he is really forward and has lovely paces, i was smitten at first ride. Plus he is really soft and fluffy like a kitten! He has one blue eye too which i find really sweet.

I only ever ride him once in a while (2 or 3 times a year) and i wouldn't buy him for example because he really is too little for me but just every once in a while my RI says its fine.

But what i wondered was how bad do i look on him? Am i a terrible pony squisher?!:redcarded:
He is about 14hh and i am 10st10lbs although im looking a little chunky in my winter layers here:redface:
DSC01307.jpg

DSC01308.jpg

I would say you would be fine owning him - usually weight limits are higher on a RS horse as they do a much higher workload in a day than a privatley owned horse, in general.

Unless health permits, I would expect him to hack happil for a few hours a day with you!

My aunty has ridden there for years, and now liveries her horse there, so I ride there whenever I am up North. You are very lucky to have that as your RS, I would give my right arm for there to be a place like that down in Edinburgh...in fact I would give that just to have the indoor school! Lessons are getting rather chilly now! :cold:

My aunty has ridden there for years, and now liveries her horse there, so I ride there whenever I am up North. You are very lucky to have that as your RS, I would give my right arm for there to be a place like that down in Edinburgh...in fact I would give that just to have the indoor school! Lessons are getting rather chilly now! :cold:

Who's your aunty? I will know her for sure! What a small world!! Pm me if you prefer!

MM - he is just lovley! I would have him
In a shot, just my cup of tea!

I think you looked really well suited! How about you buy him and come live with me and finnley! :biggrin:

In my experience RS tend to err on the side of caution (and rightly so given what's expected of RS horses) so if they are repeatedly putting you on that gorgeous pony then I don't think you need to worry. :wink:

Lovely pony. You are not too heavy/tall for her. If my 12.2hh Exmoor can take 12 stone with ease, then this 'big' girl can easily take your weight.

Ali xx

With ease carrying 12 stone, I don't think so, I bet if said pony could talk it wwould have something to say...

Even riding schools only permit a maximum 15st on their big horses so no way is 12 stone on an Exmoor just...

JMO and not causing an argument but it just amazes me how many people feel its okay to be too heavy for a pony but can't see it. :banghead:

I think it depends n the build of the pony. Exmoors were bred to carry farmers around so have thick bone so can carry more weight then say a fine boned welshie.
You look great on him and I'm sure the ri wouldn't put you on him if she thought you were too heavy.

Minkersmum, don't get me wrong when I mentioned about weight in my post, you look great on that pony,, your slight built and sitting nice and balanced.

Feffie, farmers may have rode Exmoors years ago but it doesn't mean it was right for the ponies.

Build does come into it but there is still a sensible weight limit that should be heeded for the ponies comfort, why make a pony carry more than what is comfortable jsut because it isn't crumbling to the ground.
My small pony is a 13.2 Welsh X Dales and though he could easily carry a good weight the maximum I will allow is 9st but then there is the weight of the riders clothes and saddle to add to that.

What I hate to see is a well fitted saddle on a pony then a fat flump (Not getting at anyone in particular here) get on and have his / her backside spilling out all over the cantle of the saddle, you've seen them, the saddle looks like its crammed into the persons bum cleavage, near on as bad as seeing builders backsides "YUCK" :bounce:

newrider.com