Am I Past It

happydaze

happydaze
Oct 20, 2007
Scotland
Hiya,

I am gettingworried I am too late in starting my new life as a horse owner, learning to ride again after 15yrs off....At 43 is it worth it? I love my horse dearly but when I see all the young people around who are so much better than me and braver of course I panic....please tell me am I alone or do any of you suffer the same feelings?????

Well, if you're past it, I'm finished for sure :p

I never rode much as a youngster -- just the odd organized trail ride, but started lessons for the first time at age 41. At 50 I bought my first horse. She's great: we have challenges, and I often feel woefully inadequate, but we've been making steady progress and generally enjoy each other.

Do it and never look back :D

Of course its worth it :)

Don't worry about what anyone else may think, or how good they are, just take things at your own place.

There are a few of us on here, including myself, who have begun riding as adults. I think learning as an adult you are more aware of the what ifs, and also don't bounce as easily.
I started learning 18 months ago at the age of 45, and find myself progressing quite slowly at times, but am enjoying it immensely.

Cal

Hey

I feel better already.....wish you were all at my yard to keep me company. I do love my new hobby and my horse and I know it's the pressure from those around me that make feel I have to prove something...never mind, tomorrows another day and it's great to know I'm not too old, so thanks for your moral support...I just wish this Scottish weather would improveso I can get out there and do something.

Aaaaaaargh!

Would you say "I am black, when I see all the white people around me riding horses, I wonder if I can do it ... " or "I am gay, when I see all the straight people around me riding horses, I wonder if I can do it ..." or "I am female, when I see all the male people around me riding horses I wonder if I can do it ..."

No, of course you wouldn't!

Yet that is in effect what you are saying, but with ageism as the foundation of your statement, instead of racism or sexism.

Hey, HappyDaze!

The problem is NOT your age! I'm 55 and I don't care what anyone else is doing! I ride my horse at my level and I'm not concerned with what anyone else is doing with their horse at their level. NOT one rider you see is perfect anyway. Everyone has their faults and their own issues whether they want to admit it or not. Concentrate on your own relationship with your own horse and enjoy developing the most wonderful partnership of your life!;)

Of course its worth getting back on, no time like the present:) I started riding again last june after a 17year break and love it. As has been said there are more "what if's" now but I try to just bite the bullet and push myself out of that dull comfort zone I'd slipped into over the last few years. Its exhilerating, go for it, you'll never look back I promise.:cool:D

Hey Happydaze, don't worry. I think as riders we are all intimidated at some point or another. I think you should go for it!!

Where in Scotland are you??

No no no of course you are not too old! I am nearly 56 and I will be looking for my first horse in the summer. I'm looking around at livery stables now. I am a tubby great auntie (not a granny yet I hope!) and retired early a few years ago. I rode regularly when I was younger but marriage and babies got in the way. Now I have the time to do what I want! There's nothing worse than looking back when you are a lot older saying "What if", "I wish". Go for it and enjoy every minute ....:D

Soozy
x

I wasted my middle years by not riding, everything else seemed more important, came back 18 months ago managed to buy my own horse and really enjoying myself and I'm lots older than you, you just have to find a level that suits you, I'm not gung ho anymore and we have a mix of ages at the yard so always someone around to nursemaid me.

Go for it girl - I only wish I hadn't had such a long break.

No way are you too old. I do know what you mean though. I see little kids and teenagers who are so brave whizzing around on their ponies and they make me feel that I should have achieved far more in the 26 years that I have been riding!! I have always been nervous, and probably always will be nervous. I am very happy just plodding along at walk on a hack and watching all the little kids go past jumping the logs etc.

What really helps is meeting like minded people. I have some great friends who have really supported me over the years and made me realise that it is OK to do exactly what you want to do with your horse - you really don't have to prove anything to anyone.

You are not too old, far from it. I dont know when you would be too old to be honest, if you are able bodied and old that shouldnt stop you doing anything.:D

Picture in our paper of the Queen riding out on New Years Day and she's over 80. She had on the usual headscarf and looked to be riding a pony. You;re never too old, my father was still riding well into his 70;s

newrider.com