Am I mad to be trying a horse out in this wind tomorrow?!

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Anyone got any wise words of wisdom for me?! I did text the owner's daughter who is showing me the pony tomorrow asking what she's like in the wind, but she hasn't replied! Eeek! :frown:

I tried the piebald this morning by the way and although she was simply stunning she was just too responsive for me. I literally only had to think walk on (from halt) and flinch one muscle in my leg and she was off. A great quality for lots of people I'm sure but I'd prefer something I need to give a good solid aid to :redface:

She looked quite whizzy for the girl riding her too and I just lost my nerve and didn't dare do anything more than walk!!

She was 14.3hh though and I did really feel she was the perfect size - so not sure how I'll feel on this 14h one tomorrow?

Don't worry, it's good to see what they are like in the wind actually, I tried one horse and he was good and I felt safe, on the second try it was windy and he was terrible, all over the place and was cantering up the road.... I live 1000 ft up it's bloody windy so the horse would have been terrible for me.

Just remember even if you go and see her ridden you do not need to get on her unless you feel comfortable to do so, don't feel like you must get on, especially if she is playing up. I actually prefer seeing them in bad weather, I think you can tell a lot about there nature:wink:

It was pretty windy the day I tried out Caymen. Unless it is dangerous and stuff flying about, I would go for it anyway!

I would not get too caught up in the height thing. 14H is still a decent size and they can look bigger than they are depending on how they are built.

Good luck with the viewing!

See what the pony is like with the owner on her first in the wind. There's nothing making you get on the horse if you don't want to or feel safe to do so. If however, you do get on and feel ok, and she behaves herself, then that's a massive plus in my books. Generally horses (and many other animals in fact) don't like the wind.

You may find that you feel ok on the mare tomorrow too. There's a member on here that is about 5'10'' and has 14hh (ish) highlands, you wouldn't believe how much of her leg it takes up. You may well be surprised :)

If in any doubt, check out the adults on ponies thread in the Mature Riders section. Her pics are in there :D

Last edited:
Thanks Nat thats a good point. My friend is a firm believer in seeing horses at their worst too. I just don't want to be worried by her and discount her because she's worried about the wind - because lets face it it is pretty extreme wind! But I'll just worry that I won't know what is 'normal' behaviour and what is wind induced!!

On the other hand, she could be not bothered by it at all and then I'll know she's a good'un!!

Well, put it this way.. if the horse isn't phased by the wind, then it's got at least one thing going for it :smile:

Sorry - thanks also to CMP and Jay.o - we must have all posted at the same time!!

Good points though both of you. The seller says she does take up a lot of leg so fingers crossed her size won't be an issue! OR the wind!! I would sooo love to never try out another horse ever again!!!

Oh gosh - and thanks to Dark Storm too now!!

Don't worry sbout it though, just forget about it till tomorrow, Sam is only 14.2 and I am 5,7 he takes up leg well as he is super wide as well....good luck for tomorrow:angel:

Its a funny thing Horses and Wind, it seems to wind some right up and others
don't batt an eyelid, exception being of course, something blowing straight
at them, but you would expect that:wink:

It was SOOOO Windy here today I went down the field expecting my
two to be right on their toes. Got there and tarpaulin from my shed
was blowing around as it had all come loose and they were stood about
4 yards away not taking any notice whatsoever........now if I was
to put that on the floor with NO WIND, they would think it was a Horse eating Monster:bounce:

I think regardless of what the horse is like in the wind it will be worth a second visit as horses do tend to be a bit nutty when it's windy and it would be a shame to discount one because of this. Of course you could also get there and find it just doesn't give a monkeys which would be brilliant!

Good luck! :)

I don't know what it is like near you but we have woken to no wind this morning so maybe you have too. :) I actually think it would have been a good test because if the horse was good in wind and you felt confident in the wind then it would have been a massive positive. Depends if you have wind there today.

As for the size, I agree with what others have said, I personally don't like riding ponies when my legs are dangling under them with no horse, and to give an aid I have to raise them really far. But, I do own a 14h and people don't actually believe she is so small, she is a lot of horse for 14h and takes 6"3 rugs and is so wide my legs are taken care of.

Good luck, I hope you find your perfect horse soon.

In terms of size, I'm 5'8'' and always felt anything under 15hh felt a bit little ... until I got on a 14hh Halinger who was built like a tank! She definitely took up leg well, actually thinking about her personality she would have been perfect for your search! Shame she's in America ... But anything 'fine-ish' always felt a bit ... wrong .... even though I knew I was light enough for them.

I think LWTB should have not only been trying out a new horse in all this wind but also updating New Rider whilst in the saddle to provide a second by second account of how things are going! :giggle:

newrider.com