Am I getting the correct things for showing? :)

abccaitlinp

Oct 28, 2014
plus.google.com
I think I'm getting the right things but would still like to check and accept any advice :)

I have a 4 year old Cob Cross who is shown as a traditonal (lots of mane not a lot of feather :( )

This is what I'm getting/already have
  • Blue showing hat with flesh strap
  • Beige/cream jodhpurs
  • Long black boots
  • Tweed jacket but unsure wether to get blue/grey or brown
  • Brown gloves
  • Brown show whip
Any tips to keep her long thick mane nice it's currently at her shoulder and I haven't touched it would anyone recommend plaiting it or will that break the hairs?
Also how to build up her feather I know it's in the genetics but they could do with some help as they wont grow in little patches.
Thank you in advance. :)

Don't plait the mane, you don't mention tail - needs to be long and full, the feathers do complete the look I'm afraid - have they always been like this ? do you get growth and then break off? if it is in the genetic make up then not sure throwing products at it will help - you could try megatek and see if that helps - Traditional Cob showing is very competitive even at lower level so much depends on how seriously you want to show, what level you want to achieve - you say you show as traditional - I take it she is coloured - is she minimal marked - I have seen quite a few who are and the feather is light - but normally not patchy - have you checked to make sure there is no irritant on the leg that is causing the patches, a picture would be good . dependent on type if you can't get growth , then hog and trim and you can do the other cob classes, then again you haven't mentioned height, bone structure - there are so many elements - is conformation good ?

Reactions: abccaitlinp
http://picresize.com/dl.php?i=rsz_4image.jpg
http://picresize.com/dl.php?i=rsz_11image.jpg
http://picresize.com/dl.php?i=rsz_32image.jpg
http://picresize.com/dl.php?i=rsz_42image.jpg
http://picresize.com/dl.php?i=rsz_23image.jpg

This final one is how I try and keep her tail clean, as it's very thick so she accidentally poos and wee's in it. It's in a tail bag but with duct tape around the bag to secure it - I would never duct tape my horses tail :)
http://picresize.com/dl.php?i=rsz_13image.jpg

It grows fine on the back I would just like to help neaten it up but on the front it is growing just not all around it if you can see where she's with the black pony it's missing chunks. She never itches her legs or bites them, I don't put anything on them currently. She's not got a lot of markings just the ones on her face and under her belly. She's 14.3 but room to grow as she's only 4 she's quite chunky but not heavy and the pictures don't do her justice she's standing level at 14.3 and she's quite muscly on her bum and on her shoulders but she gets fat on thin air but in summer she looks gorgeous again. Some of these photos aren't recent.
Thankyou x

Hi couldn't get the photos to download but if shes only 4 then these cobs can mature late, at 14-3 now you could get 15 - fat on thin air is par for the course with the native breeding - muscle is good - very minimally marked then - what a pity I can't see her .....

I think I would be tempted to hog/pull/clip :eek:

She's lovely with her mane tail and feathers but for showing I think I'd go down the show cob route (not that I know anything about showing!)

Worked that time, wasn't sure what to expect from your post - I would be tempted to hog, pull and trim as CF says - she needs to put on a inch at least for show Cob but if you build up condition and muscle you can soon develop the image of bigger which for show cob classes that's what you need, IMO I think she would do better in those classes rather than the traditional route which tbh she wouldn't give the same picture, for traditional she would be up against the eye catching coloured hairy cobs - but shes only a baby - you could also do novice horse and riding horse with her as well - she has plenty of length to her mane but it is thin and the tail would need to longer if you want to stick to your original plan, I would go blue/grey with the tweed, I would also of gone black with the gloves and cane, but try it first tbh you will only get a picture of how she will fit by doing it , if you want to try the traditional then give it a few classes and that will give you a feel for how shes received , you can then hog and trim up if as I suspect that's maybe where she lies, you can take it off but it takes a long time to grow back in , so better that way round than the other, you could still do coloured horse classes hogged just not the traditional.
Whatever you do enjoy it - I love cobs, they give everything (can be a little too enthusiastic at times)what you see is generally what you get.
look forward to seeing you showing pics and results.

Was hoping you wouldn't say show cob as my other cob is in those classes. I was just hoping that she could stand out a little more with being mostly white, I would really like to do traditional with her and will see how it goes she's placed well in local classes before but I've not had the right equipment for it. Trust me her mane isn't thin :D the pictures really don't do it justice it's very thick near her ears but closer to her withers it's thin if it was all thin I would've hogged her but she looks too sweet with a long mane. Thank you for all the advice though it's been very helpful xx :)

If you feel that's where she fits then go with your gut - my opinion is just that - give her a Show Season at Traditional and see how she progresses, once she matures and condition goes on then as I said there are so many variables, but if conformation is good then in show condition (not to be confused with fat) she will stand out anyway in her own right on the movement, I have seen many with hock issues which seem to get masked by exceptional bone and hair, colour is only one factor and way down the list for points - its just a precursor in some ( not all )of the classes to distinguish from the Native classes in general, so you may just have to trial and error to see what classes she's better received in than others - She has some growing into her frame left - try some megatek on the legs and see if that helps and try and get some length on the tail - do let us have some pics once you get her out there - I love before and after pics especially when you get them into show condition out of winter.

If you feel that's where she fits then go with your gut - my opinion is just that - give her a Show Season at Traditional and see how she progresses, once she matures and condition goes on then as I said there are so many variables, but if conformation is good then in show condition (not to be confused with fat) she will stand out anyway in her own right on the movement, I have seen many with hock issues which seem to get masked by exceptional bone and hair, colour is only one factor and way down the list for points - its just a precursor in some ( not all )of the classes to distinguish from the Native classes in general, so you may just have to trial and error to see what classes she's better received in than others - She has some growing into her frame left - try some megatek on the legs and see if that helps and try and get some length on the tail - do let us have some pics once you get her out there - I love before and after pics especially when you get them into show condition out of winter.
Thank you so much for all the advice it's been so helpful and much appreciated. Her tail has been recently cut in the past two weeks as it drags on the floor and I'm trying to grow the Orange stain out (Nothing can get it out! Purple shampoo, cowboy magic. It just does not work) you will see us very soon showing after we've got the fat winter belly off. Thank you very much. :) x

newrider.com