Am I expecting too much??

Kimmy C

Jun 9, 2009
Canvey Island Essex England
Hi

Not sure where to put this thread. I was due to start a part loan on a lovely TB horse whose done dressage. They wanted £30 a week for 2 or more days. I asked if I would be able to take him to local dressage comps/shows eventually once we have got a good relationship going. Today I got an email saying that the owner is not happy and I am only allowed to school him in their arena. The owner doesnt ride him as she is too busy.

I feel a bit let down to say the least. Am I expecting too much? I have got my own deluxe horse rider insurance but perhaps I have got it all wrong. If you part loan a horse are you only allowed to ride on the premises?

I think when they are asking so much a week you should get to do a bit more with it, I used to pay a bit more than that a week for 3 or more days but the owner, who generally on one of the other days only had a lesson on the horse just let me get on with it? I schooled and hacked and could have taken her off to shows should I have been able to get to them.

It sounds like in the absence of having time to work the horse themselves they want someone else to do the schooling for them - and are asking you to pay for that when it's actually something that would cost them money if they had to get someone in to school it isn't it?

Sounds very much like the owner is asking you to pay THEM for schooling THEIR horse for them because they dont have time themselves.

Doesn't seem to be a fair deal at all from your point of view IMO:frown:

I think I would be looking elsewhere for a share/loan horse - for £30 a week Im sure you could easily enough find something that would suit what you want to do with it a lot better.

How much??????????? £30 a week! For 2 days/ only in school
(jaw open!)
Blumin heck ... i used to have part share, could ride as much as I wanted wherever for £20 a week... I think you should look for something you will be happy with and can do what you want to do I know its hard but its not worth having second best.

Sounds like a rubbish deal to me.

Of course it is up to the owner what they allow to do with their horse, but who wants to be so limited in what you can do.

I would look for a better share deal tbh. Sounds like she just wants you to school the horse for her without any benefits for you.

Have they said why? It might be there's a simple misunderstanding that can be cleared up. Unless you love schooling it's a poor deal as it now stands and I would be looking for something different too.

£30 a week for 2 days!!!! Sounds like a rubbish deal to me especially when you are only allowed to ride in the arena. I am sure there are lots of people who are too busy to ride regularly who would appreciate someone able to exercise their horse for them in return for mucking out etc. Pity you don`t live near me as I would gladly let you exercise one of mine in return for a bit of help on the yard. Why not put an advert in the local tack shops and feed merchants.

No, you are not expecting too much at all!

Each share is different depending on the owner/horse/sharer, but I pay £25 a week for three days (which are flexible), I am limited to hacking and light schooling only, but that's what I asked for in my advert. The owner has already said if I wanted to take him to local shows she is more than happy to take me (I laughed at that suggestion, but nice to know!), and I am allowed to take him out on my own. They have also said that once I get my confidence and exprience up I can start riding their youngster. I have stated that I want to be as involved as possible. If I can't ride I still want to come up and groom/fuss over him, I want to be there for farrier/vet appts, and I want to develop a bond with him.

It sounds like a bit of a bum deal you are getting here, but that depends on what you want from the share. Are you only able to school, can you hack? Do you want to just school? Do you want to be able to take him to shows/comps, and would you want to do that by yourself or with the owner? Are you ok with simply schooling their horse for them?

It does sound like you are paying them to school their horse, will you be improving the horse with your schooling? If so, then there will be something amiss with the arrangement!

Yes, I had my own horse for 24 years and in that time I schooled, hacked, competed, sponsored rides etc. Now my kids are grown up I would like to have a go at competing again properly but I am not in a position to buy a horse, I think Im too old (53) and my son is special needs so I need to be around for him so I thought a part loan would suit me at this particular moment in time.

I think part loans are great things. I don't have enough time or experience at the moment to get my own horse, so a share suits me perfectly.

Maybe go back and clarify the situation with the owner, but from what you have said here, I think you could get a better share than this one.

I think that communicating via e mail can be very difficult and it's easy to misinterpret what is being said. My advice would be to either ring the owner or speak to her in person. That way you can find out what she really thinks and she can explain her reasons. For a share to work you really do have to get on with the owner and communication is really important.

I don't think that £30 per week is too bad, especially if the horse is talented. I pay £100 per month for 2 days per week and I'm happy with that.

Yes, I had my own horse for 24 years and in that time I schooled, hacked, competed, sponsored rides etc. Now my kids are grown up I would like to have a go at competing again properly but I am not in a position to buy a horse, I think Im too old (53) and my son is special needs so I need to be around for him so I thought a part loan would suit me at this particular moment in time.

First things first - I would NEVER have had you down as being 53!!! I thought you were much much younger!

Secondly, sounds like this share might be a bit too controlled by the owner. Would they be actually doing any schooling or just getting you to pay to school him and then competing on the back of you schooling their horse?

I think you should look for a more all round share. This one sounds a bit like they want you to turn up, school, go home and thats it where as i get the impression that you want a bit more involvement/bond then that?

I think £30 a week would be fair enough if you could hack and/or compete as well. I saw the vid and he looks like a nice well schooled horse, but i think £30 is pricey for what they are offering at the moment. I think £20 a week would be more appropriate for 3 days riding in a arena.

shame you are the other end of thecountry to us..I am looking for a part loaner who will do dressage with my cob (I just dont have the time) but I would only ask £15 a week for 3 / 4 days and would be more than happy for someone responsible to take her out

Run away!

I had a sharer awhile ago who had as many days as she wanted for £15 a week.

For £30 for 2 days I would expect a well schooled horse that you can take out and compete.

newrider.com