Am I crazy to consider a rising 4 year old?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
A friend of a friend (exactly the connection I was after) has a 14.1hh rising 4 year old Connemara for sale. I originally thought 'no way - far too young', but I know some people who know this pony who say he is very sensible and could be right for me. If it were to go ahead, I would hopefully keep him on the yard he is on for the next year (he is local to me) so I could have some help producing him properly - it would be a mixture of myself and his current owner (who is also a trainer with a great reputation) working on him together.

It all sounds dreamlike and too good to be true. But the thought of having an unspoilt, kind pony that I know his history and know he has been started well is so appealing. He is also registered so ticks the boxes that I wanted for showing.

I actually feel excited. I want to hold onto this feeling and bottle it because I haven't felt anything positive about horses for a very long time. I know that it is a longs hot and probably won't work out, but I am thinking about it. He costs a small fortune, but good horses do go for good money, especially at the moment. What do you all think? is this madness or could it work out?

From everything you've said you want on other posts then, if I'm honest, I don't think it's a good idea. If you do decide to go for it you need to get out and start having lessons now because a youngster needs an up to speed, calm, confident rider who can sit out any high jinks, and at that age there will be some. Nerves ruin young green horses, they need someone who is always there saying it's fine. And even with expert help he's going to be green for quite some time.

I can understand the appeal, I just don't think it would be a wise buy.

No its not mad. Honestly i brought Billy as a just broken almost 4 year old. I would have another if i could. Ok he has quirks and sometimes i questioned what id done buying him at times, but he has taught me so much. I am not the bravest rider but id have another youngster.

I do agree with carthorse. Its not what you said you were looking for.
All id say is, have you been talked into something. Only you can answer that.
Part of me thinks you want another Ben but the other part of me thinks you should go for something totally different. This might be it.

Please go and have a look and try. Perhaps you could have a couple of rides on it. How quick is the person looking to sell. Would they let you ride it out for a couple of weekends. Either on its own or in company.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
This is why Charlie's new owner bought him - to have a young horse unspoiled, with nothing bad having happened. She is experienced but needed a good trainer!

Obviously I love a Connie so I think you should go and have a look, handle him, maybe have a sit, and take lots of pictures for us to goggle at!

From everything you've said you want on other posts then, if I'm honest, I don't think it's a good idea. If you do decide to go for it you need to get out and start having lessons now because a youngster needs an up to speed, calm, confident rider who can sit out any high jinks, and at that age there will be some. Nerves ruin young green horses, they need someone who is always there saying it's fine. And even with expert help he's going to be green for quite some time.

I can understand the appeal, I just don't think it would be a wise buy.
That is what the sensible part of my brain says, but the other side is telling me that I have 40 years experience, and while I was once a nervous rider, am I really anymore? I haven't ridden anything else for years so how do I even know? I wasn't nervous with Ben because we were a partnership and I trusted him, so why do I think that won't exist again? I took Ben all over the place on my own in my lorry and we dealt with any problems together. Do I really want a half asleep horse who I have to use all my energy to get the slowest of trots, or can I have some faith in myself and actually ride?

I have years and years of lessons under my belt, and I have tons of common sense as well. Perhaps I need to have some faith in myself and my abilities? I'm also not sure I agree that all young horses have high jinks. Some are pretty straightforward. And as I said, I wouldn't be the only one riding for at least a year - I would be having professional help daily.

I do agree with carthorse. Its not what you said you were looking for.
All id say is, have you been talked into something. Only you can answer that.
He is the total opposite to Ben - in practically every way. And he is the only horse that I have felt serious about wanting to view. I can't replace Ben and I have to stop trying. How ever much i want him to, he isn't coming back.

This is why Charlie's new owner bought him - to have a young horse unspoiled, with nothing bad having happened. She is experienced but needed a good trainer!

Obviously I love a Connie so I think you should go and have a look, handle him, maybe have a sit, and take lots of pictures for us to goggle at!
I won't know unless I see him! It's a pipe dream really and probably an exercise in making me think about what I really want more than anything else. I'm intrigued by how excited I feel - what does that mean?

He is only 14.1hh I fear I will be too big for him - although he may grow some yet. At the moment I am liking the idea of being closer to the ground - it would certainly be easier to get on and off! I am realistic enough to know that it probably won't work out. There are 100 reasons why we would not suitable but I am excited, and I want to keep that feeling. I haven't felt excited about a horse in a very long time. x

@Mary Poppins I didn't mean you should have lessons because you don't know how to ride, but rather because you haven't ridden anything but Ben for a long time and lately what you did with him was limited by what he was capable of. So what you need lessons for is to get back on different horses and doing more than you have been lately. It's like I had some lessons after Little Un, I could ride but I needed to get back in the habit of getting on different horses and adjusting quickly as well as brushing up on my school work which had got rusty from lack of practice - I knew what to do but wasn't always quick enough or strong enough to do it effectively.

I can only go by my experience with Ramsey. Bought him as rising 4, and he was exactly the words you used - an unspoilt kind pony, who had been started well. He turned out to be everything I hoped he'd be and more. I'm a great believer in gut feelings. Have a look and see how you feel.

I'd find sharing a new horse with his previous owner quite tough. How much has he done or seen? I'd also find introducing a youngster to the big wide world very daunting. That's just me though. Could work out great, who can say. You won't know unless you go see him and will probably always regret it if you don't.

I would echo @carthorse here, a 4yo is not what you said you wanted, something totally solid and completely reliable.

In my experience all youngsters do have wobbles, they spook, they misunderstand cues, they think they know better, they get nervous and often that continues sporadically for their first couple of years under saddle, what you have at 4 is not a finished product.

I’m glad you are excited, and you should definitely look at him, but be realistic about what you’re expecting from a freshly backed horse, a reliable and completely unflappable horse who’s not going to change is so unlikely at that age.

Riding some different horses sounds wise just now, thinking about buying a 4 yo because after years of being a nervous rider and months out of the saddle you think maybe you aren’t now seems like a bit of wishful thinking, you trusted Ben completely but when he was coming off box rest you had someone else ride him because he was too much. Riding some more challenging horses at a riding school will put it into perspective.

I’m sorry to be Debbie downer, I hate to be, I’d love nothing more than to fuel your excitement, but I can’t lie to do so. Of course we can only base our thoughts on what you have told us about yourself, only you know for sure.

@Jessey you put that so much better than I did, but it's what I was trying to say and instead came out blunt verging on critical. Thank you!
Don't be daft, I didn't find it critical. I asked for opinions and would probably say exactly the same thing if I were responding to myself. I have sent a message and have been 100% honest. No he isn't what I thought I wanted, but perhaps he is what I want after all? It is very disheartening going through adverts looking for the ideal older horse. Dealers turn them over within 2 days and label them 'super safe' when they haven't got a clue and just want to to get them out of the door. I have seen more videos of bad riding/lame horses than I thought possible, and the reality is that when people have a good horse, they don't want to sell it.

I know that Ben was a very sensible 4 year old and people kept selling him because he was too boring for them. But, I do believe that some 4 year olds can be straightforward, particularly if they have been started slowing and professionally as his one has. For me it all depends on what their choice of protest is when they don't like something. Rearing and bolting is a no for me, but general uncertainty and mild napping I can cope with. While I may describe Ben as a perfect rocking horse who was completely push button, this wasn't always true either. We had our fair share of hairy moments (in 10 years it would be crazy to expect everything to be perfect), but because we had that bond I was never phased by them. He had never travelled before, but I bought a lorry and off we went - and we went everywhere. I showed him the world, and if I can do this with Ben, I can do it with another horse.

Reactions: Jessey
I would echo @carthorse here, a 4yo is not what you said you wanted, something totally solid and completely reliable.

In my experience all youngsters do have wobbles, they spook, they misunderstand cues, they think they know better, they get nervous and often that continues sporadically for their first couple of years under saddle, what you have at 4 is not a finished product.

I’m glad you are excited, and you should definitely look at him, but be realistic about what you’re expecting from a freshly backed horse, a reliable and completely unflappable horse who’s not going to change is so unlikely at that age.

Riding some different horses sounds wise just now, thinking about buying a 4 yo because after years of being a nervous rider and months out of the saddle you think maybe you aren’t now seems like a bit of wishful thinking, you trusted Ben completely but when he was coming off box rest you had someone else ride him because he was too much. Riding some more challenging horses at a riding school will put it into perspective.

I’m sorry to be Debbie downer, I hate to be, I’d love nothing more than to fuel your excitement, but I can’t lie to do so. Of course we can only base our thoughts on what you have told us about yourself, only you know for sure.
The thing is that I put this label 'nervous rider' on myself, and I really have no idea why? I'm sensible and cautious, but I haven't been nervous in the last 10 years because I was riding Ben. If I really was so nervous, how an earth would I have done all the things I did on him? And if I really am as nervous as I describe myself, should I really be owning a horse at all?

I know it all sounds muddled and confused, and that is because my thought processes are all over the place. Perhaps there are different ways of looking at the same situation. Perhaps I am thinking of myself when I first bought Ben, because back then I was nervous and pretty terrified of horse ownership and maybe that is the feeling I am remembering. But I'm not that person anymore, I have my experience of Ben with me and I need to move forwards, not backwards.

I get what you are saying about riding schools, but I just can't bring myself to book a lesson. I feel so sorry for the horses who work there and don't want to add to their misery for my personal gain.

@Mary Poppins , thank you 🤗

Like you I got so down seeing numerous videos of lame horses with massive price tags. Horses described as very well schooled that were clearly anything but, scopey jumpers being shown over nothing bigger than 2 foot. I started looking at ads for RC or even low level competition horses, but then many of them were saying only hacks in company, or hasn't hacked, or another no for me was hasn't been turned out in company. It really does get very discouraging.

There's no harm in looking at this youngster, but please go in with your eyes wide open, I'd hate to see you physically or emotionally hurt.

I would echo @carthorse

Riding some different horses sounds wise just now, thinking about buying a 4 yo because after years of being a nervous rider and months out of the saddle you think maybe you aren’t now seems like a bit of wishful thinking, you trusted Ben completely but when he was coming off box rest you had someone else ride him because he was too much.
To be fair, Ben was wild coming off box rest!! He had a bucking fit and threw off one of the professional riders who can sit to anything. What I learnt from that episode, is never to get on any horse who hadn't yet had turnout. I am so pleased I wasn't riding them that day!

I'll just add that not all riding school horses have a bad life, just pick your school sensibly. I've known schools I'd happily sell a horse to, or buy from, where the hours a horse works are carefully restricted and riders are matched to them with care. Tack is good and well fitted and if there's a sign of a problem then they have a break and see the relevant person. And yes I have known ones where they are just viewed as money making machines and worked even if uncomfortable or unsound - those are places I didn't go back to and made sure people knew what I'd seen!

@Mary Poppins , thank you 🤗

Like you I got so down seeing numerous videos of lame horses with massive price tags. Horses described as very well schooled that were clearly anything but, scopey jumpers being shown over nothing bigger than 2 foot. I started looking at ads for RC or even low level competition horses, but then many of them were saying only hacks in company, or hasn't hacked, or another no for me was hasn't been turned out in company. It really does get very discouraging.

There's no harm in looking at this youngster, but please go in with your eyes wide open, I'd hate to see you physically or emotionally hurt.
It's crazy isn't it? I don't want to respond to any ads right now, I want to go through word of mouth. And this pony is just that - owned by someone local with a good reputation. I may well just be getting excited because he is simply near me and available rather than what he actually is. Who knows? I feel like a kid who has had too much sugar!

I really am very sensible and would only go ahead and buy this pony if I was as sure as I could be that he was the right one. In all honesty, he probably isn't - there are many reasons why it wouldn't work out. I might sit on him and feel a hundred emotions. But I do think that it is worth finding out more. And I'm more interested in why I always think so negatively of myself and my own abilities. If I were as bad as I make myself out to be, I wouldn't have achieved so much.

I'll just add that not all riding school horses have a bad life, just pick your school sensibly. I've known schools I'd happily sell a horse too, or buy from, where the hours a horse works are carefully restricted and riders are matched to them with care. Tack is good and well fitted and if there's a sign of a problem then they have a break and see the relevant person. And yes I have known ones where they are just viewed as money making machines and worked even if uncomfortable or unsound - those are places I didn't go back to and made sure people knew what I'd seen!
My local riding school is very good. The horses do 2 to 3 hours a day, mainly in the school and they also jump and hack. However, with my own horse, I would never school everyday. I would only school a maximum of 3 days per week because this is what is good for their mind and body. So why would I be happy to school a riding school horse who has already done 2 hours in the school that day? Yes, it is their job, but I don't believe this is good for them. I wouldn't let my own horse be treated like that, so why would I be happy to ride a riding school horse in that way?

newrider.com