Am I breaking the law?

AengusOg

Oct 11, 2008
Scotland
We have just bought a VW LT 35, and for the first time ever we have our own transport for the horses. :D

It doesn't have any orange lights along the side................can anyone tell me if that's a legal requirement for that particular vehicle.

It's a 1986 reg.

It had a wee cooker and sink in it, but I took them out to make space for two minibus seats for the bairns, so we can all go to the beach and a show or two.:D

I delivered a 2 yr old Clydesdale to a friend in it tonight, and it went really well. We just have small horses and ponies, so it will be ideal for us.

Cheap to insure too.

Do you mean the rear marker lights that came into force a couple of years ago,or do you actually mean side lights (the ones that are white at the front and red at the back)??

If the marker lights then no don't need them on vehicle that age,if side lights then not sure it is law to have them on your type and age lorry,but think you would at least need to have reflectors.

We put the marker lights and side lights on our lorry for safety,wasn't difficult or expensive:)

Hmm..........I'm not sure at all now.:eek:

My boss has orange lights along the sides of hers, and I seem to remember reading (possibly in H&H) that these were now mandatory on all vehicles. :confused:

I mean to fit triangle reflectors on the back door anyway, but perhaps I should check on the legal requirements with the relevant body before I start drilling holes. :D

Thanks. ;)

We have a 7.5 tonne lorry that used to have the orange reflectors down the side, but we were informed, last year, for the plating that we MUST have lights fitted...which we did, we look like a Xmas tree now!

The 16 seater minibus that serves our bus route has them. But that's new.

Even though the chasis on the lorry is older, we still needed to have the lights fitted.

Yes you need them, its just to define the length of the vehicle as being longer than say a car, if you were coming out of a junction at night it means people can see the length of your vehicle.
The lights are dead cheap and fitting them is pretty simple, if you are not confident doing the wiring bit you could always fit the actual lights yourself and fit the wires then just have a pro connect them into the lighting system for you.

You DONT need them. Law only applies to trucks registered from 96 if I remember correctly. Mine is 87 and doesn't have side lights (just orange reflectors).
Dont put triangle reflector on back is its incorrect, should be retangle but again, you dont need them due to age of vehicle. Older lorries do have benefits ;)

newrider.com