Always wondered - Riding Schools

cobmum

Sep 13, 2009
Middlewich
Where do they buy there horses from?

Previously i have asked at 2 different RS where they get there horses from and they didnt want to say....is the strange or normal?

In both occasions i only asked because they had hairy cob types had none for sale themselves so i though they may buy from a local breeder.

Is it some unspoken rule that your not allowed to ask?

well....a friend of mine used to work at a riding school, she says 'herds' of them used to be delivered and then the girls would break them in and bring them on. Those suitable for the RS would stay, those too 'fresh' or sensitive would be sold on. She was never told 'where' they came from, but it was always the same man and they came in herds..... they did used to get some super horses supposidely and make a good profit off them once sold.

well....a friend of mine used to work at a riding school, she says 'herds' of them used to be delivered and then the girls would break them in and bring them on. Those suitable for the RS would stay, those too 'fresh' or sensitive would be sold on. She was never told 'where' they came from, but it was always the same man and they came in herds..... they did used to get some super horses supposidely and make a good profit off them once sold.

oooh very cloak and dagger :ninja:

I thought prehaps some my buy of gypsies?

Interesting question, cobmum! The RS I've just left would buy private, had a couple of calm TBs off a local racing yard and also breed their own. The RS I've just joined only use cob types in the school and I wonder where those come from. They breed their own competition horses but I'm going to ask about the school ponies next lesson...

A lot of schools have regular shipments of youngsters from breeders/dealers which staff break and are then used in the RS for a while and sold on. Many wouldn't want you to know what increase in the price they are achieving!!

We tend to buy older schoolmasters privately or from small dealers and generally horses with a 'quirk' that is ok for us but not much use for private homes. Mainly they have problems about hacking/open spaces, maybe stable vices or handling/loading/catching issues or have manageable health issues that we can cope with but which would be a nightmare to a one horse owner on a livery yard.

The RS that I used to work at used to get some from breeders, some from dealers and some from public auctions.

We would then work with them, keep the suitable ones and sell on the ones that would not be suited to a RS life for whatever reason.

One of the yards we were on bought from a local dealer, they were always pretty pleased with the horses, now and again a pony might get returned to be exchanged, but not because of anything bad, just wasn't suitable (am guessing) for lessons.

Other yard I was on I never asked - I have a feeling they were mainly bought privately and one or two were home bred.

I had a conversation with my instructor about this when I used to have lessons she said most usually come from auctions and they are broken and schooled by the staff at the riding school, also horse fairs (Appleby? :p) as they are cheap but with a bit of tidying up and training they tend to enjoy their work.
Some like others have just said are donated or on long term loan to the school.

The one near me buys private. Always gets a bargain though :unsure: My Abs was from the riding school. They bought her for male riders or heavier riders but nobody would ride her as she was too big! (and slightly naughty).

She was not a typical good doer RS horse either, hard to keep weight on and bad sweet itch. She was too high maintenance so when she was thin and scabby and in the depths of depression along came me! :smug:

newrider.com