alternative ways of slowing down. using your knees?

anna15

anna15
Feb 18, 2007
west yorkshire
my pony doesnt always respond well to aids using the bit, shel often fight me. The other day my friend mensioned she used to have the same problem, and her instructor has taught her different ways of asking the horse to slow down. half halt isnt always successfull for me, my friend mensioned using your knees? but wasnt very specific could anybody expand on that for me? or mension any other ways to try. baisically my pony often trots faster than if like and when i half halt shel fight with me.
thanks for reading :)

and please can i just add, teeth and back have not long since been checked.:)

It's a "clothes peg" kind of action,

Brace your back squeeze the muscles in your backside and thighs, but make sure you isolate only those muscles, don't let your arms and lower leg go in sympathy with them.

By doing this you are blocking the horse and you are not as easy to carry, the horse will learn that slowing down will make their life easier.

slowing your rising is a start , & i agree with wally on using your seat , these should really work on most horses

personally i use my stomach muscles alot , when my horse is listening & in good carriage all our downward transitions come from my stomach muscles to keep them as soft as possible without resistence to the hand

if you have not ridden in this way ask your instructor to give you some help with this & if they think it is viable with your pony , it should also make for tidier transitions as you will avoid the fight she puts up from the use of her mouth for brakes

I have recently learned from a horsey friend to use my knees when slowing down/turning round corners, but it seems i may overuse it as my instructor now accuses me of gripping ... i can't win :-(

xxxxx

newrider.com