All you lot with smaller ponies...

SilverKismet

Aug 4, 2008
E.Sussex
What saddle do you use on them? I'm talking small small, like 12.3 and under.

If we buy Benjie, we'll be looking for a cheap (but decent and comfortable for the horse obviously!) and preferably synthetic saddle. He's a 12.1 new forest, and we would obviously ask about saddle size etc. but was just wondering what you had on your littlies? And what size seat also?

Cheeeers :) x

Got our shetlands in thorowgood T4 pony club saddles. Im not a lover of TW saddles or synthetic, but these really do fit the boys exceptionally well & help keep the carried weight down. Very easy to adjust/shim up too.

A small one!!!

I ride an extremely short backed 12.3 (well I've just started rebacking him within rebreaking process...), and he can only take a maximum of 15" saddle length.
I'm reasonably long in the thigh, and 5'7. Luckily my bum is okay in short saddle, but my problem would be that in a GP/forward cut saddle, any knee blocks would be likely to push me back due to thigh length and so I wouldn't have enough seat space. So stick with straighter cuts. Also, the more GP I find usually the shorter the flaps are too, and I end up with my knee below the flaps which is uncomfortably. The more straightccut, GENERALLY, the longer the flap proportionally :)

I'm still on the saddle hunt though lol! I'm now trying a wintec 15" as the thorowgoods were too short in the flap for me as their short saddles are very GP. Waiting for the wintec to arrive still, and then we'll see...

Dyfra is 12.3 hands and super wide, super short backed, forward girth groove. She can only take a saddle with an overall length of 21"... I personally don't measure by seat size as it is never accurate.

Our favorite saddle is the Sensation Hybrid with the Poron seat, to which I bought the biggest seat size. I have plenty of room even with wearing a protection Vest.
Its very stable on her.

Another saddle that might work, is a Thorowgood but its no wear near as comfy as the Sensation. The thorowgood Endurance, I have is an Xwide and fits my rescue Icelandic very well. This same saddle however..isn't quite wide enough for Dyfra.

Picture of the Sensation... with the saddleright pad that was made for the fjord when I had her.
saddle3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 15" Thorowgood Maxam on Smartie, my 12.1hh chunky welsh b. It fits her lovely. It would be too big for Charlotte my 11.2hh welsh a and be over her loins. I did have a cub saddle for her but didn't like it as I was paranoid about not getting the adjustible panels symetrical. I'd be looking for a 14" saddle for her at the biggest when I get a rider for her.

Yeah, it would be worth looking into Maxams.
I think it would be a good idea to try and get a flat seat if possible, so that way your bum (not that I am suggesting it is big or anything:eek:) won't be pressing onto the cantle and causing pressure points, but then again, if the saddle fits you both you shouldn't have that problem. :)

we had a 14" Maxam on our 11.1 Sec A

we have a 15" Thorowgood Griffin Pony Club on our 12.2 Welsh x Arab

our friends have a 15" Maxam on their 12hh Sec A and our other friends have a Maxam 15" on their 11.2 Sec A

at riding club, the other litte ponies (12.2 and under) are all in Maxam's or Thorowgood Griffin Pony Club's - all 14 or 15" - a few are in leather saddles and we have one pink synthetic! Plus a couple in Buddies saddles!!!!

We had a (still have it actually!) Wintec but was hideous on our 12.2 - far too "heavy" for a small pony and never seemed to flex around him like a leather or Thorwgood does :confused: Littly found it really uncomfortable as did pony - he hates it!

I ride a biggie (14.2hh) in a Thorowgood Maxam, although it's one of the old maxams, ut it is so comfortable. I love it!

we had a 14" Maxam on our 11.1 Sec A

Brill! I was about to post that.. and was waiting to be tld they dont exist. I have silver in a 14" TG maxam saddle. She is VVVV wide... she didnt fit on the saddlers scale :eek::eek::eek:!!! However, most saddlers and TG themselves will tell you they dont make 14" saddles... Ive had hands on two though. Tried to get hands on the one I took back today but all I got was they dont make 14" so we cant possibley have one :confused::confused:

But deffo look at the throwgood maxams/pony club saddles - cant recommend them enough. Nice and light to! and comfy - Im 5"3 in the saddle!

I have heard they have stopped making the 14" Maxam :mad: - but you can still pick them up 2nd hand :)

We had our 2nd hand Griffin altered by a saddler - he altered the tree and the stuffing etc etc - cost us £60 but it was a lot of work and faffing - but fits perfect now - it needed building up more on one side than other - he came to yard and measured pony took saddle away and did the tree then did the final stuffing and fit at the yard.

Saddle was £35 - so I reckon £95 for a fab fitting saddle both pony and child like is a serious bargain :D

Daisy's saddle was bought 2nd hand for her by her previous owner. It took almost 6 month to find a saddle that even sort-of fitted. Daze is wide but also has a high wither and is swaybacked from old age. This is the only saddle that would fit (though it had to be restuffed).

oh - so the 14" on my Sec A is in my mind :rolleyes:

They were still selling 14" in our local tack shop till about a year ago - they have sold out cos I tried to get one at Christmas

Also... Sorry OP to pinch thread... what girths do you use with the maxams? Mine has stupidly short panels, so girth fastens off end of saddle, am thinking of investing in a longer one which is simple like the CC ones. She has an almost rubber one...sure it must pull her hair out!

02062009079.jpg

newrider.com