all night horse watch at our yard....

cassiebird

Jul 4, 2009
hertfordshire
as there have been 5 horses stolen with in very close proximity to our yard in the last few nights, today there was a 'dodgy' chap walking around all of the track (mostly public foot paths) but he also went through the private track, he walked onto our stable yard (private) where two teenage girls were with there coloured horses, he couldnt see their mum around the corner as he walked down, she appeared and asked what he was doing, he said that he has had 22 coloured horses stolen??? and was looking for them:unsure: He promptly left without really giving them a chance to say anything, he was also seen walking the perimiter of the whole area, the lakes, the cross country and the fields. In our area there have been many horses stolen over recent nights...... so we have brought many of the horses in (stable block now full) and ive just got in and my friend and her girls are staying there until sunlight.......we will be taking it in turns over the next few nights. There is a horse market going on Sat Sun and Mon quite close by (apparently this time of year is renowned for thefts:cry:). My lovely boy is now tucked up in a stable happily munching on hay, without a care in the world and I'm sitting up worrying myself to death, Im on night duty tomorrow! Am sooo cheesed off and sick to my stomach..................

Thats drastic steps to take, but totally understandable.

We had a spate of thefts and Yard break-ins around our Area and quite a few people did the same.

Stay safe and be very careful:wink:

Make sure that you have immediate back up available just in case someone does come for your horses. Perhaps have a text message written and ready to send to several people if you need to do it quietly, and I would also inform your local police officer what you are doing. While you need to look after your horses, you also need to look after yourself and make sure that you are not put in any danger.

Oh CB, I can only imagine how horrible this is for you, trying to avoid the worst happening. I hope nothing ever happens, I think we're all more aware of the risk with poor KV. Hang in there mrs.

Agree also with FM. Is there a way of having something like a chain & padlock on the gate so that if somebody does turn up & try to enter you will have some forewarning? (i.e. you'll hear it rattling etc). Plus it might be enough to put some people off?

This is the one thing that really worries me about our yard - it would be so easy for a caravan of lorries to turn up, load up as many as they could and drive off again with nobody being any of the wiser :frown:

After a night of not alot of rest all horses safe and sound, unfortnately just had reports of horses taken from borehamwood last night which isnt too far from the yard. The police have been notified, we have got extra chains on the gates but the biggest worry is that there are many public walk ways around the yard. My thinking is that the fencing will be cut right down the other end of the yard which is about 10 minute walk from the yard area:stomp: The horse market is over the weekend so I guess the risks are hugely reduced then.
Feel sick to my stomach, and just want to bring him home and put him in the garden:cry:

Thanks for you kind words guys xx

I know how you feel! We recently had 6 taken down the road. Maya is in a field on her own on a country lane with her gate right onto the road. All they'd have to do is reverse a lorry in and no one would know because there are no houses nearby.

I went straight out and bought 2 new chains and padlocks so my gate has three locks on it.

How awfully worrying for you. As somebody has already said though - you must stay safe yourself. Echo the advice about extra chains and padlocks, as they'll make noise. Have your backup on speed dial ready should the worst occur - then it will just be a case of pressing the button so to speak.
Do hope nothing untoward happens. Such worrying times.

Worrying times :unsure: Really feel for you- it sounds like you are doing as much as you can though. Hopefully after the sale, as you say, risk will be greatly reduced.

After much thought, my boy is being freeze marked in a couple of weeks. KV's awful situation made my mind up. Does anyone know how influential freeze marking is in reducing thefts? Think we all want to do as much as we can!

Exactly that ^^^^

WHY....people are GIVING Horses away at the moment so why this real spate of horse theft all over the Country ?

^ Exactly FL, that's what I don't get. People always saying the market is flooded with horses, too many horses for the number of people willing/able to own - so why are they being stolen? Do they go for meat, even in the UK?

If you heard advertised a nice 8 year old riding horse, well looked after, nicely shod going for £600 you'd jump at it if you wernt suspicious (which a lot of people arn't). The thief gets a quick sale and there you go!

Whilst I agree to a certain extent, the 'thieves' do they KNOW what they are stealing or is it just pot luck ?

I am sure there are several types of 'thieves' out there, the more 'professionals' who are watching Yards and therefore know exactly what they are getting and the people that just go and grab the ones they think will be popular, i.e. coloureds ?

newrider.com