Alfie's kicked the fence

Hannah&Alfie

Aug 12, 2009
Wolverhampton
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and recently got my first horse about 4 months ago so everything is still relatively new and im learning everyday.

I've just had a call from the yard and Alfie has kicked the electric fence and got a bit of tape stuck round his leg above his hock. Apparently it hasnt broken the skin but has taken some hair off. A girl told me its fine, he's a bit sore on it but told me not to worry as he wont need the vet out or anything.

I was just after some reassurance really that he will be fine. I am going to see him straight after work, but i can't help worrying!!! He is SO accident prone!!

Thanks in advance :)

if it has not broken the skin it will be slightly sore but shouldnt need the vet just make sure you clean it when you get there if it needs it and maybes but some cream on if the skin is red and exsposed, atleast your horse wont go near it again, mine it terrified of the rope since he got caught and zapped

hope everything is okay

No, by the sound of it i dont think it was on... although he has had a shock in the past so usually keeps away from it, i think he may have been kicking out at the horse in the next field :rolleyes:

Sudocrem's a good cream to keep in your "medical box" and so is either purple spray or iodine spray. Ideal for those sort of scrapes or small cuts. Mine reared up and fell over backwards the other day, scraping the skin off his hocks. I bathed in warm slightly salty water and put iodine spray on. Worked a treat! ;)

Might be an idea not to stand in kickings way though as can sting a bit (Basil hopped from leg to leg for a few seconds)!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies guys, when i first saw his leg, i must admit my mouth dropped :eek: it looked alot worse than i was expecting but ive been hosing it, cleaning it up and smothering it with anticeptic cream and its looking loads better already and he's not bothered by it at all :) luckily i have alot of experienced people around me to help too, i just wish he wasnt so accident prone! :)

newrider.com