Alfa A Oil too much?

Billy

Jan 26, 2006
High Wycombe
I've put Dobbo on Alpha A Oil as she has lost weight (you can feel her ribs through her coat but not see them, although thick winter coat may be masking that, slightly prominant withers and ever so slightly bony tailbone) and was recommended it, but I'm a bit worried it's overkill! She is usually a good doer. I'm fairly sure she's just getting on a bit (at 16/17) and it's been a tough winter with her in a very sparse field. Although I am going to book her teeth in, though she does seem to be eating ok.

Oh she's out 24/7 and getting hay and one (sometimes two) feeds a day. She's been getting a scoop of Alfa A Oil and a scoop of meadowmix (a very basic fibre, low cereal mix, with added nutrients) and a dash of speedibeet.

Is that enough or too much etc?

Don't want to give her lami so I'm still keeping it small, but we've added a lot more hay to the field, making sure it's as ad-lib as we can. I think she's gaining weight, but don't want her to swing the other way.

Whatcha think?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think the hay in itself should make the difference up and put weight back on if she is a good doer.

Do you feed once or twice a day? What was she being fed before you noticed weight loss? (its hard to say if you're feeding too much/too little if we don't know what she was getting before!) Is she rugged?

Is she prone or has she had lami?

Last edited:
Before I got back from Uni, she was getting 2 scoops in one feed a day of the meadowmix stuff. We've added the one scoop of alpa a oil and reduced the meadowmix to one and a half scoops. She's still just getting one feed a day in the afternoon.

Yep she's rugged up. We've added in more hay as much as we can. Also, she's not doing any work.

As far as I know she's never had Lami, but one or two slightly suspected times but never properly confirmed.

As I say, she is getting on in years!

Thanks for any advice!

xxx

You're not really risking lami feeding Alfa oil to my knowledge, it's a pretty safe feed for metabolically challenged horses as it's very low in sugar. I would keep going with it until your mare picks back up again, the mix is more likely to cause problems if anything :)

Sweet! But I heard added oil increases risk of lami in already lami ponies?
The mix is very high fibre, low cereal based feed, so shouldn't be a problem. It's just a 'maintenance' feed with added bits and pieces to supplement the poor grass. I think I'll just keep going with the alfa-a oil and keep an eye. :eek:

How much weight wise are you feeding? It is also better to give two feeds rather than one, also what breed is your horse / pony and how many hands.

Rugs, how good are they? Ae they keeping your horse / pony warm enough?

Your hay what quality is it?

Without the answers to these it would be imnpossible to know whether your feeding enough or not.

As for feeding Alfa-Oil, I feed this to my boys with no side effects. It is a great feed in winter as the energy it provides helps immensely to keep weight on which in these winter months is great and as the horse needs extra energy to keep warm this reduces any risk of laminitis.

But I heard added oil increases risk of lami in already lami ponies?

I'm no expert but my understanding is that oil is one of the safer ways to get extra calories into a metabolic horse.

Ah good, the oil content was my main worry really, I don't want her to gain weight too fast.

It's impractical to feed her two feeds, as while I'm away at Uni my mum does her and can't get up twice a day. I don't want to start her on that routine then change it next week when I go back. The yard charge us if they feed her, and it just adds up, we can't afford it. She's out 24/7 you see, so doesn't have to be brought in and out or mucked out. Also, constant access to grass and reasonably good access to hay.

I wouldn't know weight-wise, they don't have a weigher in the feed room (constant source of annoyance!). I know I should be getting it accurately weighed, but haven't been able to.

She's a welsh section d 14.2 (quite a fine one) and the rugs are more than enough. She's not been clipped, so her natural coat is thick and tough, last year she spent most of the year unrugged. But when she started losing weight we decided to rug her. In the mornings underneath she feels warm.

They hay is reasonable quality, never had problems with it before and we've always use they yard's own hay. I would say it's not brilliantly rich, but as I say, no one has had problems with it in terms of mold or spores.

:)

xxxx

You can buy a weigh tape from any good saddlery, while not as great as a weigh bridge they are the next best thing and if you weigh your horse the same way each time this will give you a good indication of if your horse is gaining / loosing weight.

As long as your horse has good coverage (you can feel but not see the ribs) is warm enough, coat is shiny and healthy then your doing okay.

My two horse live out 24/7 (first time this year) and they are both doing okay. I do have them on two feeds a day with hay and they are both rugged up. In fact i am thinkign of adding an extra rug for the hight times especially as Sunday night is forecast -7.

These sunny days are great.

Cheers Demson!

I'm not overly worried :). You can't see her ribs but she has a thick woolly coat, so I think that's masking the slight thinness, so I'll persevere with the Alfa a oil and reduce it when she bulks up a bit in the spring!

xxxxxxx

Do keep an eye on her weight if she is a good doer as my good doer arab bulked up very quickly on one scoop of alfa a oil with only a small handful of mix a day! Alfa a oil is fantastic stuff and they tend to look great on it but for good doers it does put weight on very quickly!:)

Do keep an eye on her weight if she is a good doer as my good doer arab bulked up very quickly on one scoop of alfa a oil with only a small handful of mix a day! Alfa a oil is fantastic stuff and they tend to look great on it but for good doers it does put weight on very quickly!:)

This is not always the case,

My boy is a good doer especially in summmer but in winter he can drop weight so is on 1kg Alfa-Oil (2 round scoops) and 3kg Build Up (2 Scoops) and also Speedi Beet (300g dry weight) split into two feeds.
He is a Hackney so very similar temperament to an Arab. He is also not clipped apart from a bib and is fully rugged.

My feed plans are always done on the advice of Dodson & Horrell and they have always been very good.

Your horse a Welsh D are hardy types and not being clipped I am surprised he is loosing weight, putting a rug on is good as horses will loose energy to keep warm.

If I were you I would weight the feed you are giving (including the hay) and weigh your horse then calculate to see if you are giving enough feed.

Do you not have a friend that could feed your horse in return for a favour from you
Is your horse on ad-lib hay as then at least he always has something to eat which keeps the gut bacteria active.

Cheers

Last edited:
If your sec d is getting good quality hay that is always available and is unclipped, rugged up and not in work but not maintaining weight then I wouldn't class that as being a good doer.

I have to admit that my first thoughts are how much hay is available to her?

I just wanted to add that a horse should never have more than 3kg of feed per feed as this is too much over load hence why feeds are given in two or three sessions or even 4 in some cases.

The welfare of my horses always comes first and that would even mean going up late when its dark in any weather just to make sure they are fed, checked over and have plenty of hay.

You say you can't afford to pay someone to feed your horse on an evening but then that raises the question why have the horse if you can't ensure he is getting the feed and rations required. Not trying to sound dominating or mean here just facing facts.

Looking back over your threads it doesn't sound like your feeding enough. I would cut out the meadowmix and the low cereal mix and instead change to High Fibre Cubes which are none heating, safe for horses prone to laminitis though your horse has never had this and a good sourse of feed for helping with weight issues.

A dash of speedi beet is not adaquate, I would increase that to 300g dry weight split into two feeds made with warm water to take the chill off.

It has also come to my mind that if your horse is only fed once a day and given hay who checks on your horse incase of injury, twistred rugs etc on a morning and gives extra hay?

You also mention sometimes your horse gets two feeds, this is not only confusing your horse but also upsets the gut balance. Seriously for the sake of a few pounds more each week ask someone to feed your horse for you on the days you can't get there. Do without nights out, ciggies if you smoke, the trip to the takeaway, anything that helps you to be able to afford to have your horse checked over and given a feed.

Again just want to point out that I am not trying to be nasty or anything here or make you feel bad just I am the type who puts my horses welfare before mine.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that a horse should never have more than 3kg of feed per feed as this is too much over load hence why feeds are given in two or three sessions or even 4 in some cases.

The welfare of my horses always comes first and that would even mean going up late when its dark in any weather just to make sure they are fed, checked over and have plenty of hay.

You say you can't afford to pay someone to feed your horse on an evening but then that raises the question why have the horse if you can't ensure he is getting the feed and rations required. Not trying to sound dominating or mean here just facing facts.

Looking back over your threads it doesn't sound like your feeding enough. I would cut out the meadowmix and the low cereal mix and instead change to High Fibre Cubes which are none heating, safe for horses prone to laminitis though your horse has never had this and a good sourse of feed for helping with weight issues.

A dash of speedi beet is not adaquate, I would increase that to 300g dry weight split into two feeds made with warm water to take the chill off.

It has also come to my mind that if your horse is only fed once a day and given hay who checks on your horse incase of injury, twistred rugs etc on a morning and gives extra hay?

You also mention sometimes your horse gets two feeds, this is not only confusing your horse but also upsets the gut balance. Seriously for the sake of a few pounds more each week ask someone to feed your horse for you on the days you can't get there. Do without nights out, ciggies if you smoke, the trip to the takeaway, anything that helps you to be able to afford to have your horse checked over and given a feed.

Again just want to point out that I am not trying to be nasty or anything here or make you feel bad just I am the type who puts my horses welfare before mine.

Does seem a bit nasty to be honest, it seems you are accusing my of putting my own welfare before my horse?? Hmm..

My initial post was a concern about the amount of oil going into her feed. She gets fed, checked on, feet picked out, rug checked EVERYDAY. We never EVER miss a day. I kind of resent being accused of that. The issue we have is getting there twice a day when I'm at Uni and my mum works full time. Not easy for all of us you know. If we can't get up there then the yard do her, of course they do. When I'm away the yard do her for half of the week while my mum works. There are people up at the yard all the time, the other pony in the field also gets checked on throughout the day. If anything was amiss it would be spotted.

Regarding feed, the field is hayed once a day in the evening (by me, another owner or the yard). But during the heavy snow the yard have been putting hay in in the morning as well. She is a good doer and always has been, up until this winter. She is going on 17 so probably just needs an extra boost. Also, I reiterate, she is nowhere near underweight. She just has less fat on her than usual. To be honest it's just compared to her usually porky belly! hence why one (small) feed a day should be enough. If she loses any more weight then of course I will add more (in 2 feeds not one).

I am not putting my welfare before my horse, thanks for that.

Don't know if I'm in a bad mood, but it has kind of upset me this, it feels like you are accusing me of not taking care of my horse.

I'm sure you don't mean it like that, but you can see how mentioning welfare gets my hackles up!

If your sec d is getting good quality hay that is always available and is unclipped, rugged up and not in work but not maintaining weight then I wouldn't class that as being a good doer.

I have to admit that my first thoughts are how much hay is available to her

Yes that was my first thought :), we have added more hay as the winter has gone one. They now have access to a good bale of hay a day (especially in the snow) between two of them. Less when the snow melts.

I'll just point out that I NEVER said that you missed a full day, what was said was, "you say you can't afford to pay someone to feed your horse on an evening" I should have said morning as you do mention your mum feeds the horse on a evening.

I know your original post was mainly about the use of Alfa-Oil but it was you who also mentioned about weight loss and not being able to afford to pay someone to feed your horse an extra feed. You said your horse was unclipped, rugged up and loosing weight, which in my eyes is a concern, not once did you mention that it was only a slight loss in weight. You also did not mention about hay being put out on a morning.

I don't think anything I said was out of term as I would have been a worse person for not caring.

So many horses are neglected and ignorance does not help but your NOT neglecting your horse and instead your doing a good thing (which I have already said) by asking questions.

Though your post was about Alfa-Oil the other factors you mentioned are taken into account, they need to be.

However if your worried about your horse your best bet is to email or phone a good horse feed manufactor like Dodson & Horrell or one of the ohter companies.

I do apologise if I upset you but again I never once said you never fed your horse at all.

Cheers

Demson

Last edited:
And I'd be a bad owner if I didn't contradict the use of the word welfare, and get a bit annoyed by it :eek:.

But absolutely, I take your point, I didn't make it overly clear how much weight she's lost or the extra hay. I just presumed you'd get the fact if she'd lost a worrying amount of weight I'd call a vet, or at least the feed companies! But I suppose some people wouldn't do think of ringing the vet, so fair play.

I guess a little part of me was annoyed by being accused of going out on the lash, smoking and havng takeaways instead of looking after my horse!! Although I'm fairly sure that's not what you meant :eek: :eek:.

I'm not offended by it :cool: I just had a particularly bad time yesterday, and that was kind of the last straw to the end of a bad day.

:cool:

Hi Billy

Glad that is sorted, back to your post regards Alfa-Oil, I am my own pain in the a**e as having a HND distinction in horse management, nutrition was one of my main interests and when feeding my horses I always make sure they are getting everything they need to stay in good condtion and I contact Dodson & Horrell should I need any advice.

Of trying various fibre based chaffs the one that has always proved the best for my horses is Alfa-Oil. More energy is needed to keep horses warm in winter especially if living out so higher energy based feeds are needed. The oil in the alfa is enough to help with this but isn't so high as to cause excitement or for a horse to gain too much weight.

You can always adjust the amount if you horse needs more or less. The feed guides are a recommendation but as you know all horses are different. The main thing to realise is nutrition value, all amounts recommended are given as they make up the amount of vitamins / minerals etc needed.

Cheers Demson that's great, will keep you posted on how she gets on. Went up this afternoon and they were more or less rolling in hay, the yard are keeping them well stocked up!
Thanks again
xx

newrider.com