Ale has moved!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
He's in his new field tonight, the girls very nicely moved him for me as I had to work late and have the beginnings of a chest infection (3rd Xmas in a row!) He was good as gold apparently.

It's a decent size. Well fenced with post and thick tape and electrified. Back section is fenced off as muddy but the rest has been allowed to rest for a while so alot of grass for him tonight but was far too dark to sort tonight. Thinking of leaving him on the whole thing the grass can't be too sugary at this time of year and he would soon eat it down and could then loose the weight before spring. Not sure any thoughts on this?

There's an automatic trough in the muddy section which needs a good clean but useful for summer. Hedges 2 sides but no shade for summer so would have to look at getting a gazebo or something. Plenty of time to worry about that anyway

Our grass is still growing. It's not gone cold enough for long enough. But don't know where you are from me though.
Mine hasn't dropped a thing yet and still being worked, albeit lightly!
Hedges should provide some shade?

Now that's where you and I differ Ale. I have just spent a couple of hours moving the horses to a new field and sorting out the fencing so they didn't have the whole field. Never to dark. I'm going to strip grass.

Now that's where you and I differ Ale. I have just spent a couple of hours moving the horses to a new field and sorting out the fencing so they didn't have the whole field. Never to dark. I'm going to strip grass.

Well done for being a better owner than me!

It sounds lovely, I'm sure you'll work out the shade thing.

The sugars are still up and down in grass, every day over 6c it photosynthesises and produces more (and grows), especially on a sunny day. It only respires (uses up) sugars when it's 6c + at night, so the last few weeks it's just been building and building here as night temps have been too low and it's been sunny days, with much warmer temps this week it's finally warm enough at night to respire so mine have only now been allowed new strip grazing.

Reactions: lauren123 and MrA
It sounds lovely, I'm sure you'll work out the shade thing.

The sugars are still up and down in grass, every day over 6c it photosynthesises and produces more (and grows), especially on a sunny day. It only respires (uses up) sugars when it's 6c + at night, so the last few weeks it's just been building and building here as night temps have been too low and it's been sunny days, with much warmer temps this week it's finally warm enough at night to respire so mine have only now been allowed new strip grazing.
Do you move your fencing in the morning or at night? Some very interesting points thank-you.

So yes there was far far too much grass in the field. He's been moved to the back bit which is boggy to the left but otherwise not too bad and has had a horse on recently so very bald. I can then strip graze him onto the green stuff.

New field
Screenshot_2017-12-23-12-42-23.png

And bit he's on

Screenshot_2017-12-23-12-42-29.png

Didn't you have your tonsils out? You do suffer with infections don't you, have they offered a flu Jab or suggested it?
I had virus recently and it's rotten to trying to carry on with less energy and feeling run down.
Luckily you have people to help out :D

Didn't you have your tonsils out? You do suffer with infections don't you, have they offered a flu Jab or suggested it?
I had virus recently and it's rotten to trying to carry on with less energy and feeling run down.
Luckily you have people to help out :D
I do and no longer get tonsillitis which is a massive relief but I seem to get a couple of chest infections each winter, first one over Xmas! With any luck this is just a cold! No flu jab as I've never had flu. Hard work but I am very lucky yes

I move them a little twice a day, but not after a sunny day and tend not to for about 3 days after cold nights after sunny days. Early mornings tend to be lowest sugar times as it's as the end of respiring, well it is for me before dawn.

Tonsils are the bodies first line of defence against infection, unfortunately once their gone the next stop is the chest. I'm sure you've already boosted your vit card intake, do you periodically take echinacia too to boost your immune system?

I move them a little twice a day, but not after a sunny day and tend not to for about 3 days after cold nights after sunny days. Early mornings tend to be lowest sugar times as it's as the end of respiring, well it is for me before dawn.

Tonsils are the bodies first line of defence against infection, unfortunately once their gone the next stop is the chest. I'm sure you've already boosted your vit card intake, do you periodically take echinacia too to boost your immune system?

Thank-you again, very helpful. I'll move the fence little and often, I never used to move it after frost or sunshine anyway but forecast here for the next couple of weeks is around 5-10 degrees anyway.

Didn't know about the echinacia so will order some now, thanks!

Reactions: Jessey
Do you order online @Jessey not sure where to get them from!
You can get echinacea from Asda, most big supermarkets will have it - or chemists - or amazon
I have never really found it very effective but know lots of people who swear by it.
Hope your chest feels better soon either way.

I have been on that berocca stuff daily. Do feel better, however had a virus so one that's fine I would hope to feel better anyway.
Another vote for that E stuff. My problem is it depends where you get it from. With my meds a chemist usually refuses to sell me anything off the shelf! But Asda don't give a fiddle.

I have been on that berocca stuff daily. Do feel better, however had a virus so one that's fine I would hope to feel better anyway.
Another vote for that E stuff. My problem is it depends where you get it from. With my meds a chemist usually refuses to sell me anything off the shelf! But Asda don't give a fiddle.

Maybe that's why I never found it effective, bought mine from a supermarket, probably dodgy. I think echinacea is safe unless you are pregnant? but yes always best to check with a chemist or GP if you are on any other medication.

I would go for higher quality stuff from Holland and Barratt or similar, like all herbs quality matters. The trick isn't to take it all the time or it can loose effectiveness, take it a max of 1 week a month, or just when you notice you are getting a bit run down/burnt out, to give you a boost. I think they even make a fruity tea with it now too :)

This actually reminds me I should get jess some, this worked great to perk pheonix up when his cushings had him a bit under the weather :)

There is only one cough mixture I can take, so hope I only get that type of cough.
However it does make me wonder what's actually in this stuff on the shelf if you need to check.
Some of it is classed as drugs and will get you into trouble with the law if driving!

Reactions: Trewsers
Do you move your fencing in the morning or at night? Some very interesting points thank-you.

So yes there was far far too much grass in the field. He's been moved to the back bit which is boggy to the left but otherwise not too bad and has had a horse on recently so very bald. I can then strip graze him onto the green stuff.

New field
View attachment 90662

And bit he's on

View attachment 90663

Ale Sox would love that field!!! Perfect for cribbing on LOL

There is only one cough mixture I can take, so hope I only get that type of cough.
However it does make me wonder what's actually in this stuff on the shelf if you need to check.
Some of it is classed as drugs and will get you into trouble with the law if driving!

I am the same, I can only ever take the weak, honey and lemon stuff. Hardcore like Benelyn sends my irregular hearbeat into overdrive:eek:

newrider.com