Alberts first in hand show * with pics and new question

MissMare

Mar 6, 2008
So, we made it to our local small show this morning to enter the first class- youngster. There were 5 in the class and we came fifth. But I was actually really pleased. The whole thing was meant to be a practice run so we didn't go all out. He had a bath yesterday and looked clean but he still has a bald patch on his neck from his operation and the fool managed to knock himself on the journey so I noticed walking around the ring he had blood down one white sock, which the judge noticed. So, my first show for over 15 years and his 3rd show (he is 1 year old tomorrow) but first since getting to me.

Things we learnt
- to arrive a bit earlier- which wasn't actually my fault at all. My friend and her husband (farm owner) took me, they were both great although he was asking where my talc was for Alberts feathers and I was like :unsure: erm I wasn't taking it that seriously for this time.
- that he might be a bit young still, he was by far the youngest in the class. Still gangly legs and foaly mane and tail. He also still has some winter coat- as all mine do. Speaking to my driver (farmer friend :wink:) he said we always have that issue in the valley because our village is a lot colder and worse weather so the animals tend to keep their coat a bit longer.

Albert was an absolute little star. He behaved himself so well. I was really proud and chuffed. He was a doddle to handle, trotted when asked and was a lot better behaved than some of the older horses in the class.

So, why did he come last? :) He was originally placed 4th, then moved to 5th after the last trot up. 1st was a lovely horse... turned out they are competing at Windsor next week and wanted somewhere to take it as a practice run. Bit unfair on the amateurs like me but hey ho. 2nd and third were both lovely young well formed section As, probably county level and the one we swapped with was a friend of a friend, a nice 18 month old future eventing horse.

The reason I was really chuffed was the judges comments. She talked to me for a good few minutes after. She said "You have a really really good horse there, please bring him back next year as I really want to see him when he has formed more. :) She said the reason he was 5th was the others were a bit more mature and formed and he was obviously still very babyish so was difficult to compare. She said his first trot up was great, she said he looked stunning, but his second was a bit lethargic. She said it was a sign he was so young and had probably got bored and tired. The class went on for a good half an hour. That is why he moved to 5th, and I bet the blood stain didn't help him. She left by saying "I mean it, you are going to have a really good horse there" :biggrin: I also listened to what she said to the others and she didn't say anything like that. My husband said she was just trying to make us feel better but whilst I don't know anything about showing, I do know he is gorge. My mum was taking photos so once I get them from her I will add.

Great morning out, and well done Albert, thank you for being such a joy to be around and so well behaved even though you were the youngest at the show.

ETA- here is the tall beaut from a couple of weeks ago.

227598_10150177577714277_515304276_6391492_4982083_n.jpg

229551_10150177577824277_515304276_6391493_3448045_s.jpg

These are from the show.
I love this one
AlbertCropped.png

I am thinking he does look really floppy and gangly here

Albertshow2.jpg

and he doesn't look so great here lol! No good side on shots of him at his best and as for me, staying up all night with emotional drunken friends following an argument does not create a good healthy glow :mstickle:

Albert3.jpg

Last edited:
What wonderful comments! No wonder you are chuffed. I would feel really encouraged. And you'll leave more time for prep next time! :wink:

Take the comments as I am sure they where meant, its good when a judge takes the time to talk to you and explain, some don't and you go away wondering - negative or postive it gives you something to work on for the next one. He obviously just looked his age - a funny thing to say I know but they go through a lot of stages and can look different from one show to another depending on what growth stage they are at, some classes split and if you had been in a class with all similar age then you would have got a better idea of where you where at development wise. Its good that he had manners and yes they do get tired and quite fed up ( even when they are older:giggle: my 6 year old refused to move after 3 classes in the heat beginning of April had to drop the next class and give him a 2 hour break to the next one when he had perked up somewhat - happens to all at somepoint).

Giving yourself plenty of time is a must, nothing worse than having to rush at the best of times never mind with a youngster .

I think you should feel really encouraged - good luck with the next one....

I'm thrilled that you got a judge who took the time to make encouraging comments - he is a stunning boy and you're going to have so much fun with him :)

Showing is really good fun, looking forward to lots of pics and updates!

Fantastic, well done :) I wonder how many people could actually take their yearlings to a show and have them behave so well, you really have got a good 'un there, and you're doing all the right things with him :)

Thanks Yann :) you will have to come and see him again soon. He is freaking me out with how much he is growing though :frown: bigger than Rhia already. I have been told he is bound to make 15'3

Thanks tbaynancy, bitsnpieces and Jane&Ziggy :) I am still waiting for photos from my mum. Just asked AGAIN. Another lesson learnt, take your own camera for people to take photos next time.

Lemme- yes, I went with the opinion that it would be best for him out of the box and into the ring so to speak as I didn't want him getting stressed waiting around but in future I am going to risk it ad give him more time to get spruced up. How exactly do you stop a young horse with white socks getting poo poo down their legs? He hasn't had bandages on yet, maybe I should start to introduce him to them.

Big question. How do you know what level your horse is at? I have just come across the schedule for the Derbyshire County Show and they have a yearling Welsh D specific class- so horses more his age. It is a big step from this show but it is the level his breeder wanted him competing in (he was sold preferably to a showing home, however when she heard all the other fun things I would be doing with him was happy. It is him that has made me want to show) Part of me wants to give it a go as he will never qualify for it again and the comments from this local show shouldn't be such an issue against his own breed and age. The other part doesn't want to look like an idiot. a:)

So how do I know?

Go for it, why not, you'd only regret it forever if you didn't have a shot and who knows, you might even come home with a rosette! Your wee lad sounds like a star, and is very handsome too, and I'm sure his breeder has a fair idea what his close family members were like growing up. It was good to have your first judge take time to give you such good comments, that's very encouraging.

For keeping his socks clean, you could use show sheen on his legs (you could spray it onto a cloth and wipe on his socks) but if you use travelling boots make sure you sponge it off as best you can for the journey home or the boots will slip. Have someone follow you to the ring with a sponge and a bit of water in a bucket to tackle those last bits before you go in :giggle: And if you can, get as close to being first in the ring as you can so you catch the judge's eye quickly.

Don't forget to take a bit of a feed for him with you to a show, he might want a bit of an energy boost if he's had a busy day and gets to the championship! Best of luck, and would love to see more pics.

Thanks Yann :) you will have to come and see him again soon. He is freaking me out with how much he is growing though :frown: bigger than Rhia already. I have been told he is bound to make 15'3

Thanks tbaynancy, bitsnpieces and Jane&Ziggy :) I am still waiting for photos from my mum. Just asked AGAIN. Another lesson learnt, take your own camera for people to take photos next time.

Lemme- yes, I went with the opinion that it would be best for him out of the box and into the ring so to speak as I didn't want him getting stressed waiting around but in future I am going to risk it ad give him more time to get spruced up. How exactly do you stop a young horse with white socks getting poo poo down their legs? He hasn't had bandages on yet, maybe I should start to introduce him to them.

Big question. How do you know what level your horse is at? I have just come across the schedule for the Derbyshire County Show and they have a yearling Welsh D specific class- so horses more his age. It is a big step from this show but it is the level his breeder wanted him competing in (he was sold preferably to a showing home, however when she heard all the other fun things I would be doing with him was happy. It is him that has made me want to show) Part of me wants to give it a go as he will never qualify for it again and the comments from this local show shouldn't be such an issue against his own breed and age. The other part doesn't want to look like an idiot. a:)

So how do I know?

I worried about bandages - I found for the youngsters a set of cheap travel pads (not shaped boots) off E bay, quick and simple to put on without faffing and velcro fastenings for easy get off if needed. White socks, sponge and water if not booted - if you boot/pad/bandage them might just be touch up, in that case try baby wipes - just pull the hair through them it litterally falls onto the wipe and leaves lovely clean nearly dry hair - quick comb through and done - years of practise with hairy cob feathers.........

Personally I would go for it!!!! he is very nice quality young man so he will hold his own. If you're showing in other yearlings classes then he will be judged as a baby.

The other thing you could research is your local WPCA show, they have regional organisations that arrange spring and summer shows then foal shows in Oct/Nov.

Echo Lemme's suggestions, I find the baby wipe trick works a treat!

hello.

go for the show, no such thing as levels in hand tbh.

judge likes who they like.

if your going in county level show for welsh you could do with few changes to compete as most will be serious.

ideally you would thin his mane a little, then you need the welsh plait in.

his socks, paint on chalk then gamjee and bandage, only way to get them white white and not powdery.

also is he gelded?

normally run colts/geldings in a bit.

i am out of loop a little as dont know why he had op etc ...

also trimming his whiskas is helpful.

none you have to do but all will help with judging

have fun though

practice trotting and if lethargic then hot him up if you like

newrider.com