airowear riding helmets

soph

Jan 27, 2002
england
Visit site
does anyone have the Lagacy Gold helmet in the Troxel range by Airowear? had any experience with their hats?

i am considering buying this style as its one of the more classy looking vented hats around :D

just wondered if anyone would recommend or not recommend :p this range?

sophie

I can definately rate their body protectors as good quality products - so assuming that is echoed through all their range I woudl imagine it's good quality.

Not a great answer or useful answer but at least it's an answer :p

I would be interested to hear people's answers as Stephen was thinking of getting one as he always gets too hot in conventional hats.

I think I am right in saying that they are up to the European 'EN' standard but don't have a British Kitemark, whether this is a problem at all seems debatable at present. Officially an 'EN' number is as good as a kitemark, BUT the Pony Club have banned them from their competitions and rallies so presumably they see them as less safe.....

No problems soph,

Originally posted by Esther.D
I think I am right in saying that they are up to the European 'EN' standard but don't have a British Kitemark, whether this is a problem at all seems debatable at present. Officially an 'EN' number is as good as a kitemark, BUT the Pony Club have banned them from their competitions and rallies so presumably they see them as less safe.....

Esther made a really good point - I would check out the safety standards and whether they will appropraite for whatever you do and take part - many riding schools won't except protective equipment which isn't British kitemarked

i have a ventilated hat ---but i'd have to check at the weekend to see what make it is and what safety stuff it has on the label--my memory has been lost for some time:0)

however -- i do know it is comfortable and a lot cooler than an enclosed hat -though that is prolly not much help to you

My take on this is that I would be more than happy to ride in an EN standard hat, and if you wish to enter a show or event then revert back to a more traditional hat with British Standards and kitemark.

I'm definitely going to get a ventilated hat for the rest of summer which I will wear in lessons and whilst exercising my horse and the yard horses. I'll report back when it arrives and I've had chance to test it out.

I'll make sure to let you and Steve know if it helps keep the head cool too Esther.

I used to have a Dublin vented hat, it was great, always got to be the smug one that was fine while everyone else sweated and had itchy heads :D Only reason I sold mine was I'd bought it slightly too small so wasn't comfortable. The hat I bought instead is a skull hat with tiny little vent holes (Ventura I think it's called, it's in Rideaway etc.).

I like the hat I have now because it's nice and cool but looks more like everyone else's hats and is fine for winter as well. The only slight annoyance is that wind whistles through it sometimes. I am seriously considering getting another of the hats that have big vents in though, I would never have got rid of the last one if it fit.

Short version: vents gooood :)

I bought the Airowear Troxel Gold Legacy Helmet on tuesday and have worn it twice now. Wednesday I rode it in a flatwork lesson, today in a jumping lesson. Basically it's excellent. I have a bad problem with overheating and my velvet hat was killing me. This has 7 vents in the helmet and the breathability is amazing.

The only possible problem I can see is that some people might have trouble fitting a helmet as it only comes in 3 sizes, S, M & L. This means you have to adjust the padding inside yourself and alter the strapping accordingly. It's a little bit faffy at first but I got mine to fit perfectly in the shop and am definitely glad I bought it.

Hope that helps. :)

thanks anth for remembering! i actually ended up buying a charles owen hat with small vents and special moisture wick away material inside (kinda hard to explain:D ) as the troxel was waaaay to big even in small! the charles owen is great so im happy!

soph

newrider.com