ahhh my horse is turning ginger!!!

Dec 30, 2005
Nevada has always been dark bay but goes slightly lighter around her hip bones in the summer and gets a pew large spots! (appaerently a sign of a healthy horse!!) though this year she has come in with ginger hair around her neck and some around her girth area! Is this normal?? Could it be from her age she is 18 this year?

Will get some pics tonight!
Tam x

glad I'm not the only one with a funny coloured horse!

Amber is a bright bay, really orange in winter, this spring she came in a real dirty looking dark brown, patchy too.

I thought my god what's going on although she has now lightened up to bright bay again but for all of April she was awful looking, just didn't look like herself at all and yet again a few white blobs have appeared over her although not nearly as many as last spring!

Are you sure it's not just the remains of her winter coat? Mine are both dark bay and go through a ginger phase too :)

lol! ITs just weird! As I mean she is really dark bay you can see from pics I have posted along the line and now all these ginger patches are coming out.... never had a ginger horse and always fancied one... maybe Nevada sensed this ;)

Are you sure it's not just the remains of her winter coat? Mine are both dark bay and go through a ginger phase too :)

Um well im not sure... she has never gone ginger and she wasnt ginger throughout the winter so maybe ill have to wait a bit longer and see!;)

glad I'm not the only one with a funny coloured horse!

Me too! Depending on the time of year, my horse can be black, brown, dark bay or blotchy chestnut. :rolleyes: The chestnut bits are always where her saddle and girth go - goodness knows why!

sun bleach maybe? toby has gone very ginger this year and he was a very dark brown over winter.

is your tack fitting perfectly Peanut?

Perhaps though its a reaction to sweat or something if you tack is fine.

I've got a colour changing horse... these pictures have all been taken this year...
Sam-turninghead.jpg

...to this...
JackandSam0222.jpg

...and now were this colour...
SummerCoat001.jpg

toby in the winter
DSCF0196.jpg

and toby in the summer, definate result of sun bleach!
DSCF0127.jpg

this year his chest and girth area are most gingery, along with his belly. But his hind quarters are still dark. So he looks rather odd!

But I wonder why the patches are so often where the tack goes?

Mine go partially ginger in the spring when the winter coat dies off and sheds, and then as the summer progresses go orange in the saddle and girth area. It gets damp and sweaty and then bleaches as it dries. This happens even when it's well rinsed, I seem to remember someone once posted a tip to prevent this which involved adding something to the water.

horseygril123 - she may got dark bay;) no I understand what everyone is saying.. though my case is really strange - ill get some pics tonight so I can show you what i mean as its really hard to explain :)

newrider.com