After last night ride............confidence GONE

HAYLEY GITTOES

Shropshire lass....!
Mar 14, 2002
Shropshire (West Midlands)
Visit site
Well the above says it all really...................

I've now had Oskana 8 months and its taken me that long to get my confidence back I feel as though the last 8 months have been for nothing.

We were going out for a ride last night which was a practice ride for our first fun ride at the end of the month.

The last week Oskana has been very irretable with flys and I think the fresh grass is getting to her.

So we set off with my friend going really well heading down a bridleway and we could hear literrally screaming, noticed there were 3 goats in a trailer very up set I still think someone was trying to kill them !!!!

So Oskana was really upset spinning round, I was doing my best to hold on but even the horse I was with normally really well behaved even he was a little upset. So I decided to jump off (I know the worst thing you can do) but I was just so scared !!!!

Luckily my friend led her through the woods on her horse as I could not hold her they really just did upset her.

I tried to get back on but she was so worked up and would not stand stil, she isn't she easiest of mares !!!

Worked out ok in the end I managed to get on my friends horse who is 16.2 and Susie jumped on Oskana.

I just hope the last 8 months of me getting my confidence back hasn't gone.

Hayley

Try to put it down as a one off - it sounds like truly exceptional circumstances & enough to upset even the quietest of horses.

Jumping off is definately not the worst thing you could have done. By getting off you kept control of her & didn't scare yourself any more badly so I think you did the right thing.

Take some Rescue Remedy tonight (or a stiff drink if you're over 18 ;)) & get back on her in a safe enviroment. If you're worried then maybe your friend who got on her last night would hop on first if you ask nicely? You'll be fine, she was just upset by a very scary situation & will have forgotten all about it by tonight :)

Getting off Joy used to a regular thing for me when I w=first got Joy used to hacking out.

I feel more confident on the ground and that confidence rubs off on her. Not only that I can then hold the reins by the buckle and go up to the offending monster and atroke it and talk to it. Joy would get curious and a bit jealous and come over to investigate. Then I'd swap to her other eye and do the same then give her a bit of a snog when she was calm and get back on again.

I don't think getting off is a bad thing, indeed for us it is positive.

I think the key thing here is trying to get i the right frame of mind. If you can go from 'Oh my god she's scared' to 'yeah, another opportunity to get her to trust me and work on something she is scared of' then you are more than halfway there. Easier said than done though I know.

The start of my transformation was when I made a point at every spook of calling Joy a daft cow and trying to feeling sorry for her. Do that eough and you'll believe it :)

Sometimes things just scare them, even the most bombproof of horses. It happened to me once, we came across two hedge cutters attached to tractors on the other side of a hedge in a field. We couldn't see them but they were very close and making one heck of a racket.

Bry was terrified and I mean scared. She is very good to hack and sometimes she will try it on but always listens to me in the end. Not that day, I actually thought I was going to have to let her turn for home before one of us got hurt.

Thankfully they came to an opening and saw us and turned the engines off so I was able to persude her past.

It was a one off, just like the goat incident was for you.

Thanks guys

Yes have been back on have only rode in the school not because of what happended but had alot on this week.

I still think she was genuinelly scared of the goats in the trailer so that makes me feel alot better.

We are going on another nice long hack on Sunday again so hopefully we want meet any goats !!!!

Hayley

Last edited:
newrider.com