After effects of being rescued by firemen

stumpweasel

Oct 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi. Hoping that someone will recognise these symptoms.
15.1h trotter cross. Very bad conformation and previous abuse scars on fetlocks. Been with me 4 years. Fell into a drain in january miracle rescue and very lucky to come out in one peice. Turned away to recover and now cleared by vet to start a little work.
I only ride bareback and mooch about nothing fast or hard.
So symptoms when i get on:
Napping type behaviour really reluctant to go forward even with another horse as lead.
Biting my foot
Severe shoulder twitches and shaking like after a good roll
Pawing and stomping the ground
Rearing

There is a little heat in fetlock and was informed by vet has a slightly thickened tendon off fore.when i hosed that tendon his shoulders and girth area twitched severely

Did have one lovely hack with no above signs couple weeks ago.
Tig is a lovely boy with no badness in him at all.
Physio out next week and vet informed who will come out if physio finds anything.
I was just wondering if anyone else has been through this?
Thankyou for reading through the waffle

Twitching and shaking would make me want to get a neurological check up....tho it could just as easily be severe anxiety from his accident and not wanting to leave his safe place.

Twitching and shaking would make me want to get a neurological check up....tho it could just as easily be severe anxiety from his accident and not wanting to leave his safe place.

Hi jessey. Thanks for replying. Hes been moved to a new yard that he loves never seen him so happy and in hand hes a sweetie. He also charges about his field like a loon. Its just when a rider gets on. Ive had him on turmeric for a few weeks and vet gave me danilon. He was on turmeric for 3 days when we had our nice hack. No symptoms of anything. Next day all the symptoms were back. He was fairly knocked about after being trapped in the ditch and lifted out by slings. Farrier has noticed hes alot less stiff each time hes been out. Its this 'no way mum, not happening' when i get on or after about 10mins hacking. I do his massages and stetches every day.
Other than the above hes happy, healthy, cheeky, a bit overweight and very loving.

That does sound more like a mental issue than a physical one, but having said that things like trapped nerves can play you up on day and not the next so not impossible. Has the vet seen his reaction? I would also show the physio/chiro if you can.

That does sound more like a mental issue than a physical one, but having said that things like trapped nerves can play you up on day and not the next so not impossible. Has the vet seen his reaction? I would also show the physio/chiro if you can.

I had a lengthy conversation with him and tigs physio. When physio is out next week she will give him a thorough check over and start treating if ness. And vet will come out if physio finds no problems or is concerned about him.
Its so weird how one day hes all lets go im fine to the next no way and refuses to even follow a much fancied mare out. Im finding it hard to believe its behaviour probs as its so not him to be that extreme.

Reactions: Jessey
If you are getting him checked out next week then I would not be asking for any ridden work on him in the interim, we have been having issues with backing Charlie, when we got the Chiro out both his hips where out, one worse than the other, he worked fine on the long rein and lunge, saddling up or tack on, no visible lameness or sign of distress but as soon as you got on his back the reaction was immediate and dangerous, Chiro said she was not surprised at all, he was able to cope until pressure was applied to his spine, 5 months on we are still only working him lightly on the long rein or walks out , see what she says on next visit. We suspect a fall in the field was the initial cause, we initially had him thermal imaged to rule out behavioural issues as he has always been excitable, the images showed a clear heat spot on his spine hence the Chiro vist. The knot on his spine caused through the hips been out was massive and showed up after treatment.

Hi. Thanks. You too have had a worrying time! Yep ill not be getting back on until hes checked out and seen by the experts. Its horrible isnt it to see a nice friendly ned turn into a monster. Pokr things must be in agony.
Am thinking of having him thermal imaged too. Be very interesting.

Hi. Yes as long as he was brought back very slowly and light which is all we do anyway. There was never any heat in that one. But weve now got a little heat at fetlock. All me and Tig ever do is mooch about bareback as ive got a bad shoulder injury. I guess because of his accident more would show up as he came into being ridden again. But he really does goes loony in the field without any signs of pain.

Not much help.
For us the biting of the foot is a very polite way to let me know she is in discomfort ( she suffers with her season)

Did the fall into the drain happen off the yard? It's possible you have severe anxiety it a tramped nerve?
Mine can vary from the little trembles that you can feel through your seat to the extreme shaking and shivering. Had that happen a few times and she was completely terrified, its awful to feel and see a horse like that.

Do you have tack that fits him? I wonder if his reaction would be the same if your weight was off his spine? It may well be the same, or in fact worse but would be something I'd consdider trying.

Did the fall happen while ridden or in the field? It does sound neurological but I guess it could also be anxiety or pain - a little like if we run to far and get jelly legs.

Not much help.
For us the biting of the foot is a very polite way to let me know she is in discomfort ( she suffers with her season)

Did the fall into the drain happen off the yard? It's possible you have severe anxiety it a tramped nerve?
Mine can vary from the little trembles that you can feel through your seat to the extreme shaking and shivering. Had that happen a few times and she was completely terrified, its awful to feel and see a horse like that.

Hi. No it happened at previous place. Hed broken out of his field and went through cover. He was probably there most of night. We think his forelegs were out resting back of knees on concrete surround so most of his weight taken on back of knees and top of forelegs. Hes always had a slight twitch in his shoulder (like a fly on him) but since accident its massively worse with this intermittant symptoms since. Hes such a nice boy lively but never bad so something is really bothering him.
For a chunky monkey he is quite skin sensitive and prefers more firm petting or scratching. Ive started strapping him now.
Ahhhhh so foot biting is a sign of discomfort!! And the twitching too. Is it on your girls shoulder? Although im not happy your girl does it its nice to know someone else has this happen.
Only a week to go till physio so crossing fingers she'll say 'oh yes its this, and we do this'

Do you have tack that fits him? I wonder if his reaction would be the same if your weight was off his spine? It may well be the same, or in fact worse but would be something I'd consdider trying.

Did the fall happen while ridden or in the field? It does sound neurological but I guess it could also be anxiety or pain - a little like if we run to far and get jelly legs.

Hi. No happened overnight. Only mental thing i can see with him is hes now got a fear of water (was upto his belly in water). Asking him to cross a puddle now is a trial but we are getting there with that.
Its the same saddled. His saddle has been properly fitted. I think ill physio or vet to do a neuro exam. A couple of you have put forward neuro so maybe thats the way forward. Thankyou.

Hi again. Thought id give you an update. While i dont think its the only reason heres a little shocker. Brought him in weds. Rear leg below hock hot as hell. Hosed leg to reveal one the leg wounds he'd gotten in the drain reopened as puncture type wound and oozing. Poulticed. Examined and low and behold tiny wood splinters! Each morning more on poultice and pus being drawn. 9 months after going into drain hes expelling bits of railway sleepers that had covered the drain but hed gone through!. Hes looking far happier. Still think theres more than that to it but least thats one problem starting to be resolved. Infection isnt tracking up or down just nicely out and leg is cooling down.

How horrid for him! Splinters in human hands and fingers can hurt like hell until they get an outlet. Lots of vibes everything comes out properly now.

newrider.com