After Covid lock down

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
For anyone elderly forced to stop riding due to lock downs (or covid cowardice), I found that returning after a year of not riding was hard. My advice is to give it a month.
First ride I was massively tired and last week my ankles were so weak after canter that I couldnt dismount. I thought my riding days might be over.

Bad weather and high gusty winds today meant I stayed safe in the school. Just me and the mare in peace. She was soft and responsive. Had such a lovely time with her in the sun and unbothered. And today my mounting and dismounting were both problem free so my riding life is back to normal. So relieved that I had to post it. I didnt want to stop riding and the mare showed me today how much I enjoy it.

My mum was really happy to get back in the saddle recently too, she said it makes all the difference!

My mum was really happy to get back in the saddle recently too, she said it makes all the difference!
I am glad your Mum is back riding too. I think it is quite hard as we had very little exercise for a year.

So glad to hear that you are back in the swing of it, @Skib . I haven't ridden properly for more than 2 years now, I thoroughly expect to hurt like blazes once I start riding Sid properly!

I understand completely Skib, and I am very glad to hear you are back in the saddle and enjoying some saddle time. I have not ridden for 11 months now but due to an unfortunate accident rather than Covid (not riding!) I am waiting for the next step forward after my latest pelvic MRI - the 5th MRI in the past 10 months of lower back, hips and pelvis. I am full of hope that in the next week or two I will know for sure if there is any chance I will ride again.

My family I know are secretly hoping I will be told I will NOT ride again, but I understand their worries as another bang to the head will be the last hooray for me lol! But without riding I am not whole if that makes sense, I am a stranger to myself, I do not know this person who can barely walk, let alone exercise the dogs or ride even at a gentle walk. I am pushing myself everyday with any and every form of exercise I can manage, no matter how little. currently I can do 15 minutes on my treadmill at 1.5 miles an hour for hanging on to the handle grips, no balance to walk that far without using them.!!!

I won't be galloping across the wilds of Ireland happy and free again thats for sure, but if determination has anything to do with it I will at least be able to do a short walking ride daily at some point, if not shoot me now please!:oops::D

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
Sorry to read this Cortrasna. Will reply properly later today as breakfast and other stuff intervenes.

I understand completely Skib, and I am very glad to hear you are back in the saddle and enjoying some saddle time. I have not ridden for 11 months now but due to an unfortunate accident rather than Covid (not riding!) I am waiting for the next step forward after my latest pelvic MRI - the 5th MRI in the past 10 months of lower back, hips and pelvis. I am full of hope that in the next week or two I will know for sure if there is any chance I will ride again.

My family I know are secretly hoping I will be told I will NOT ride again, but I understand their worries as another bang to the head will be the last hooray for me lol! But without riding I am not whole if that makes sense, I am a stranger to myself, I do not know this person who can barely walk, let alone exercise the dogs or ride even at a gentle walk. I am pushing myself everyday with any and every form of exercise I can manage, no matter how little. currently I can do 15 minutes on my treadmill at 1.5 miles an hour for hanging on to the handle grips, no balance to walk that far without using them.!!!

I won't be galloping across the wilds of Ireland happy and free again thats for sure, but if determination has anything to do with it I will at least be able to do a short walking ride daily at some point, if not shoot me now please!:oops::D
The determination in your post leads me to think that you will very definitely be pootling out again at some point. Mainly because I'd be just like you - lost without my riding. Not doing it, however sedately, would not be acceptable. Rooting for you.

• Love
Reactions: Cortrasna
Sorry to hear this, this year is the first time i have felt a bit ancient but still managing to ride, Buddy willing, and stagger around with the poodles.

Reactions: Huggy
I’m not saying that anyone here is in the same boat but talking to my friend the other day. She is senior charge nurse in a ward for the elderly/rehab. They are seeing so many more issues due to people having been doing and moving less in the last year. People who would break a leg and spent a month in hospital are now taking 2 months. People who would normally get back to their own homes are having to go into care homes. It’s not something I had even thought about.

Cortrasna, I havent the medical knowledge to understand the details of your condition. Because you need to follow medical advice. Riding proved good for my back problems and I am sorry it is not so for you and that you may be left without your horsey fix. I told my husband (who hates dogs) that if I had to stop riding I would buy a dog.

That hasnt happened as I got back on Ella. Howeverwhen I started to ride at 60 my joints and muscles for riding were still in an unused condition. It looks like I am doing better than you but, if I had started riding aged 8, in terms of wear and tear I would now be only 28! I inherited a fat bottom which was the despair of my father but which is a cushion for riding and protects my pelvis.

We did not get a tread mill tho I wanted one when lock down started. My doctor daughter said they caused many accidents. I envy you but please take care. It is amazing you can walk on it at all, even holding the handles. Daughter told us that a stationary bike is safer. But we didnt get a bike. We have a very small house and nowhere to put it. Nor did we go out walking. We didnt leave the house till 2 weeks after our second vaccine dose.

I know that I cant ride big broad horses. I could not stretch my old hips round that lovely hunter you showed us. Maisie was a very narrow chested Connie. Which is why she was reduced to just hacking. My current ride is a 15.2 ISH with a plastic gp saddle which is not beautiful but is light for me to lift onto her back and which fits us both.

She is such a sweet natured mare that I deserve no credit for riding her. I dont ride like an athlete. I just sit on her easy and she goes. She signals to me, the places where she normally canters but if I ask her not to she doesnt insist. I realise I am lucky. I have been a great believer in the something will turn up school of riding. My choice would be to own a Connie mare and keep her on livery and ride twice a week but that isnt going to happen.

I’m not saying that anyone here is in the same boat but talking to my friend the other day. She is senior charge nurse in a ward for the elderly/rehab. They are seeing so many more issues due to people having been doing and moving less in the last year.
We are in that boat. Yes. OH and I stayed home safe from Covid but it has aged us. Life expectancy reduced we think. We felt like we had a good walk this morning but the phone showed it was only 6,000 steps. And there is weight gain due to not comuting to London to see exhibitions and visit museums and meet friends during lock down. So statistically we are 100% lucky and fine and not needed any medical attention for over a year. But when we do die of something it will very likely be earlier than if Covid hadnt come.

newrider.com