Advise on what to disclose in a for sale ad

lisa+pilgrim

Feb 6, 2009
south Wales, UK
hi guys, am putting archie up for sale this week, and sort of have my advert sorted, going to go something like this

Schalaaza, 4yr old, 15.2hh, bay Arab gelding by Aazari.
He was backed a few months ago but has been turned away since. Wonderful temprement, Excellent to catch. Good with farrier (currently barefoot). Good for vet, dentist, chiro. Microchipped and all worming and vacs up to date. Loves attention and there's nothing he'd love more than to be fussed all day. No dealers/timewasters, loving home only sought for this gorgeous little chap.

but was just wondering wether you think i should put anything in the advert about the trailor incident and what happened or wait and let them know when they ring up and ask for details.
although i dont think wel have any probs, id still like to fill them in on everything thats happened with him and his recovery but i just think it could be quite a shock when i start to fill someone in on whats happened to him if iv not said anything in the ad, so would anyone else be put off in this senario.

thanks in advance x

Well if he wont load on a trailer then the potential buyers will soon find out if they come to collect the horse in a trailer! Always best to be as honest as possible I think, saves a lot of heart ache and time wasting in the long term for both parties I think.

As you have done so well getting him to walk into and eat in the trailer, I would wait until a veiwing and then fill them in on the accident.

At the end of the day, he's doing very well and it looks like he wont have a loading problem, so no point in putting people off.

Good luck
x

Or, of course explain on the phone, but becareful not to alarm people with all of the detail at the outset. It's the horse/loading they'll be interested in, not the terribly traumatic time you had;):p

what was the trailer incident
in a nut shell he panicked in the trailor on the m4 and had to be sedated and brought back to us, check out my prev posts, if you want more detail, it take me ages to write it all :D but he has come through it well, no physical or mental problems.

Well if he wont load on a trailer then the potential buyers will soon find out if they come to collect the horse in a trailer! Always best to be as honest as possible I think, saves a lot of heart ache and time wasting in the long term for both parties I think.

hes loading ok, hel eat in there, and i spent half hour in there doing nothing really yesterday and he was good, just i would like them to know what happened so they are filled in really.
after speaking to loads of people, id put money on it being the flap on the bottom of the partition hitting his legs, so im going to be doing a trial run this week before i put the advertisment up.
i just want them to know they may have to take it slowly with him and take in to concern what trailor they use for travelling him in.

Or, of course explain on the phone, but becareful not to alarm people with all of the detail at the outset. It's the horse/loading they'll be interested in, not the terribly traumatic time you had;):p

this is what i was thinking, as at least on the phone i can put there mind at ease and explain better than in an ad, but was just worried incase some one was annoyed that i had left it out and incase they thought i was trying to hide something. by not saying so in the ad.

I would explain it on the phone or viewing. They need to be prepared if they want to travel him. Im sure at that young age not many horses have had much trailer experience and the potential new buyers will take that into consideration. Could a lorry be hired to transport him this time? Make these less stressful for him?

I would say you need to disclose this when they ring, not in the advert (just don't put loads/travels well!)
And you might find it severely impacts on your sale..have you travelled him since?

I'd suggest a few minor changes:

Schalaaza, 4yr old, 15.2hh, bay Arab gelding by Aazari.
He was backed a few months ago and has been turned away to mature. Now ready to come into work. Wonderful temperament, Excellent to catch. Good with farrier (currently barefoot). Good for vet, dentist, chiro. Microchipped and all worming and vaccs up to date. Loves attention and there's nothing he'd love more than to be fussed all day. No dealers/timewasters, loving home only sought for this gorgeous little chap.

You could put that he's currently getting used to loading and travelling as part of his training, but without mentioning the incident. Have you tried travelling him with a companion?

thank you guys, i was thinking along the same lines, tell them on the phone, as this way they can decide before coming to see him, although im hopeful there wont be any trouble with him traveling.
im happy to travel him in a lorry or trailor and to help sort out transport if needed, as there is a guy in the village who delivers and has a nice lorry.

thanks nirikina, that sounds much better, and im more than happy for my little mare to travel with him if he does get upset as he is fielded with her and dotes on her.

thanks guys you have put my mind at rest x

hehe, no i havnt got a lorry to try, with out paying to hire one for the day, he hasnt put a foot wrong so far, just me being over cautious, and keeping in mind that he may do something when it does come to his first trip.
but like i said i can get a lorry and driver if he wont travel in a trailor, im hoping it wont be that bad, just need a few days with some one up the yard with me to get the ramp up and see how he responds to that and then go for a small trip around the block.
im just a bit of a worrier, he may completly surprise me and we may not hear a peep from him, we will know before long i suppose.

newrider.com