Advise On How To Sit Strong And Safe...

SavingGrace

Jun 27, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow...
Need some advise, I have fallen off a few times recently and I think its to do with how I am sitting in the saddle... Think I really need to seriously rethink my methods of riding or I need some help in improving my stickability??? Any advise on what I can do?

Having a lesson on the lunge helps (as you dont need to worry about turning and can concentrate on your position).

No stirrups can show up where your balance is weak but might just make you fall off more so could shake your confidence more.

Ok- can you get someone to video you riding so you can see what you are doing? This really helps as its hard on here for us to know whether you are toppling forward, backward, left or right? Long stirrups can make you topple forward weaking your seat and making you fall over the front.

You need to get someone from the ground to help you sit straight - now if you are used to sitting more forward then sitting straight will feel very strange. If you shorten your stirrups you can then push your weight into your thighs and knee (not your feet) therefore making you more foot light and less likely to catapult from your stirrup.

Laura Butler is an amazing Ride with you Mind coach and can correct your position (and probably give you the best lesson you have ever had!). She will vieo the session too. She is on the BHS list of instructors but depending where you are I can PM her details if you like..?

I have been felling very unbalanced over the past few months which has been a combination of me, the saddle and the horse.

I'm having Joy professionally schooled and am lunging too.

The saddle has been serviced and boy did that make a difference. I didn't realise that there was such a problem with the saddle but a compressed panel on one side had more of an effect than I could believe possible.

And I went back to my local riding school for lessons on balanced horses! I went right back to basics and practiced sitting trot but then even worse was sitting for 3 beats then rising up in the stirups for 3 beats. My god its a killer as you need to be able to quickly adjust your balance. Sitting trot was easier!

I had this problem until I got an instructor who really addressed my seat. So if possible, get a really good instructor, explain the problem and work on your seat together.

My seat improved dramatically when I learned that the weight should be down in the lower leg. think of your lower legs and feet as heavy. Learn how this should feel by working in a half seat (get someone who knows what they are doing to look at your half seat to make sure all the bits of you are in the right position to be in balance). In a half seat, your lower leg must be in the correct position for you to remain in balance and you will feel the weight in your lower leg - keep your heels down too. You can do this at first in halt if you need to, then in walk, then in trot. Then when you sit try to maintain the feel on the weight in your lower leg. Open your knee and thigh, then when you want to come down a pace or halt, close your thigh against the horse and notice the slowing effect. All this will help you learn that the most crucial part of a secure seat is your lower leg.

I hope that helps a bit. I do remember how 'not fun' it is to keep falling off :rolleyes:

I agree with stella2. That's one of the other things I have been doing in my lessons.

It's weird being back at school but the benefits have been huge :)

Under what situations have you fallen off?

Being thrown by an unexpected flying buck or over-jump is different to say falling off everytime you canter on the left rein, unpredicable vs. predictable!

I suggest lessons with good RI, if you have weekly lessons try a different instructor for a change of perspective, if you don't have lessons regularly they are good for jogging your memory of what you should be doing!

Also, a highly polished saddle and non-grippy jods will mean that you won't have any friction to grip with if that makes sense?? My friend won't hack out without sticky jods on!! (She is a brilliant rider who has evented to intermediate, trained in advance dressage and has also done affiliated SJ, so if she thinks they help I would tend to agree!) :D

As its a nice day we are going out for our lesson tonight and I have asked just to spend it in walk and trot working on my balance and position... Although I felt fine to get straight back on after my last fall I am feeling somewhat nervous now ... Rode her for 20minutes this afternoon which was nice although we just walked just hope she behaves tonight!

newrider.com