advise needed complete attitude change in our new pony!

faye123

Jul 26, 2005
Me and my friend brought a welsh section a mare. We brought her in June, and she turned 5 in July. She hasnt really been ridden much as its been a nightmare finding a correct fitting saddle and bridle! When we first got her she was very pleasant, loving, ears forward, keen to please etc. We moved her to a new (nicer) yard with stables etc about 5 weeks ago. She was fine for the first couple of weeks, but recently she has become horrible!Kicking the other horses, escaping out of the field, begging, biting, turning her bum round to kick you and really nasty if you go near her whilst shes eating. Her overall health is fine and the dentist checked her teeth and she has 2 baby teeth that are wobbly and the dentist said to wait for them to fall out. I am really confused as to what this sudden attitude change is? Could it be because she is due in season? I have never had mares before, only geldings so not too sure on mares?? I would be very gratful for some advise.:)

Could be season, could be new surroundings, animals tend to be subdued somewhat when they first move then go a bit funny then clam down so might be that.

My mare is the opposite when in season and goes quite and well behaved lol

She could be trying it on, I would make sure you are firm with her and make sure she knows you are still boss, is there another h orse trying to bully her? this might make her overly aggressive at other times

Cant think of much else at the minute

I know this is going to sound mad but I have found it to be so true! Horses tend to go through stages with new owners. At three weeks, three months and three years being the obvious ones. It happens as they adjust to their new life and they push the boundaries. As it happens she is at her 3mth stage with you! :) Stay firm (but do check out bullying, yard politics/behaviour that may make it worse) and she will settle. Unlikely to be in season at this time of year. Give her lots of reward when she is good and firmness when she isn't. Do lots of groundwork too to reinforce the boundaries.

recently she has become horrible!Kicking the other horses, escaping out of the field, begging, biting, turning her bum round to kick you and really nasty if you go near her whilst shes eating.

That's the description of a horse that's not happy in their group/herd. Horses are designed to be pretty accomodating to one another and us. They only become defensive if something that is precious to them is suddenly in short supply. Resources that are important to horses include . safety - in a new place, so doesn't know she's safe, so is more likely to react to protect herself. .space - horses will all defend this if it's in short supply, and in short supply means anything that stops the horse running as far as they can from strange horses (i.e. a smallish paddock) .feed - if the horse is surrounded by other horses they don't know (and it can take months for them to get to know each other really well) they will defend their bucket feed (it is a limited resource - we limit it by putting it in a bucket and only offering it to one horse).

So I would say - check she has enough space to get away from other horses - if she can stay a safe distance away from the new group to avoid being chased/bitten, but close enough to see them, she will be happier. She will gradually edge towards them over time as she gets comfortable. Give her time to settle - she's young and has had a lot of changes in a short time, which will make her feel insecure.

The lady whose teaching I respect most is Alex Kurland and she drills into us "aggression comes from a place of fear", which I've definitely found to be true :)

newrider.com