Advise for First Show needed!!

NoviceNic

Sexy Dressage Pony
May 7, 2003
On my horses back...
Visit site
Been praticising jumping like a looney just lately and am hoping to go to a Show on the 19th. I would really like to enter a Clear Round class. We have been jumping 2ft pretty well. Unfortunately I only have 3 jumps to practise with. Can anyone give me some advise on tackling my first clear round. I am not fussed about speed just concentrating on getting over safely. :p Do I need to worry about being on the correct leading leg. Or should I just go with concentrating on my strides? Any advise on improving my strides would be aprreciated. I try 3,2,1 up but sometimes get it completely wrong and it ends up 3,2 up. I also can imagine I am going to be extremely nervous. Thanks for help really appreciated. :)

How exciting!

Horses are perfectly capable of turning and jumping out of counter-canter, if the rider stays balanced. If I am in a timed class with a horse that doesn't do flying changes, I try to get the correct lead over the fence. If I do not, I just balance the horse and keep going on the wrong lead. However, if the class is untimed and it wouldn't hurt your performance to break to trot for a lead-change, then you might choose to do the change for the purpose of schooling the horse. Which choice would be best for the two of you is something about which you may want to ask your instructor.

As for striding, I really wouldn't worry about it too much. If counting helps you to establish your rhythm, then by all means continue, but it doesn't matter whether you count 3,2,1, or 1,2,3 or 1,1,1. The goal is to get a quality canter, keep your horse straight and forward to the jump, and be ready to follow him. The real importance of "counting strides" is something that comes into play during the course walk more than the ride itself (and then, primarily in higher levels where related fences may be intentionally set at tricky distances).

Best of luck at the competition!

Thanks Kedwards. I have a problem with sharp turns Captain is not very elegant. If I have a sharp turn I wouldn't get disqualified if I put in a small circle to give us more strides to get over the jump would it. For example if after the 1st jump the next is a sharp right jump could I do a small left circle to line up again better for the next jump????

Yes - if I've understood you right, then you would be crossing your tracks, and that would give you penalties. If it's a clear round class the turns probably won't be too tight anyway, but it really helps to look ahead to the next jump. It helps you get on a straight line and helps to indicate the direction to your horse.

clear round

I have just jumped my first clear round at a show today and I cleared it! Am so chuffed with myself :D , prior to today all I have done is gone over two jumps in a row ( same problem with lack of jumps to practice with), and I have only done that twice! My advice would be just go for it, I was terrified and had butterflies for a good few hours before I dared to do it. But then what's the worst that can happen? I decided to treat it as a practice and it went really well - I'm now dying to try a novice round but probably should do a few more clear rounds first.

Good luck anyway and let us know how it goes!

Brilliant well done. I can't wait to have a go but can imagine my stomach to be in knots on the day. I hope the loo's are handy. ;)

Princesaysneigh - Thanks you for that I don't want to embarrass myself first go.

newrider.com