Advice wanted for whiplash? Fell off Harvey :-(

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
fell off, well got chucked off but anyway. My own fault...too much too soon and I think Harvey definitely needs vet back out to check his back/left hind/something! but anyway.

I hit the ground on the side of my back, I thought I hit my head too at the front but I don't think I actually did now. Anyway after I didn't feel too bad, bit dizzy, but nothing terrible so I got back on again (on slightly different terms!)

My neck and bottom of my back (I thought I hit my right hip) started hurting a bit more later yesterday so I took some paracetamol. Hurt to lay down to sleep but it's not a terrible pain, just annoying.

Today though the front of my neck hurts and it hurts if I move it side to side or up or to my chest and makes me slightly dizzy if I try.

I'm assuming I've got a bit of whiplash.

Apart from paracetamol is there anything else that would help?

Needless to say a new hat is now on the top of my xmas list. Mine doesn't look damaged from the outside but the polystyrine has slightly flattened in parts inside.

Don't want to make a fuss at home about it as falling off is one of the reasons my hubby and my dad don't like me riding.

Oh, poor you. Praps go and see the Doctor - just to be on the safe side. Whiplash I think is just time, but best to get poor head checked out. Healing vibes to you x

Yeah, I'd go with slept funny too. Whenever I hurt myself around horses I blame something else.

Use paracetamol and ibuprofen together, might help. Also apply ice to the area (not heat- need to reduce inflammation to tissue). I'm lucky/unlucky in that I have a cupboard of left over strong pain killers from other accidents, so would use high strength co-codamol. You don't care about the pain after them and you relax and don't stiffen up which I think speeds up healing process. Maybe a trip to the docs to get properly checked and maybe some suitable pain killers?

Arnica can help with soft tissue healing too.

This site gives some good exercises to try http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/whiplash.htm

Hope you are feeling better soon

Thanks,

I can't take ibuprofen, so will carry on just with the paracetamol.

It's more annoying then anything, just horrid not having full motion!

Our doctors arn't very good so putting off a visit if I can. Hubby knows what caused it but no-one else.

I did however catch it on camera, which is interesting as I can't remember much about it! (camera was switched on as had just filmed a different assignment) Why can't the camera be on at all those good times instead!

Anyway for those gory lot of you who like a good accident... :tongue:...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtJX-V6ko_U

Won't be doing that again for a while.

ETA: Thanks for the link MissMare..will try some of those exercises too.

Last edited:
My chiropractor is horsey - her mare and filly are in the next door paddock to Ziggy and Mattie. When I fell off Ziggy really hard, onto my head, I went to her a few weeks later because things were not right. She was incredibly helpful and gently eased me back into shape again, whereupon I stopped getting unpleasant symptoms like pain, pins & needles etc.

So while I think you should see your doctor just in case, I would really recommend a good chiropractor.

My chiropractor is horsey - her mare and filly are in the next door paddock to Ziggy and Mattie. When I fell off Ziggy really hard, onto my head, I went to her a few weeks later because things were not right. She was incredibly helpful and gently eased me back into shape again, whereupon I stopped getting unpleasant symptoms like pain, pins & needles etc.

So while I think you should see your doctor just in case, I would really recommend a good chiropractor.

I was wondering whether to book myself in with the same physiotherapist/chiropractor that I probably need to refer Harvey too. (I think all the horse ones have to have qualified with people first)

So good idea, thanks.

It's mainly my head that hurts (like a headache) and the front of my neck, feels like i've been strangled at some point (originally thought it might have been strap from my hat) and hurts mildly when i swallow and hurts to touch.

I was really surprised that the biggest adjustment she needed to make to me was my jaw, which was severely misaligned. And it hurt putting it back! But very much better afterwards.

Can't see any reason not to use the same person, if it's someone you have heard good things of or had good experience of.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted!

Ouch!! Just watched vid and looks VERY nasty. I think you really ought to get yourself checked properly though - dont want to be alarmist but I had a very similar reaction to a fall many years ago that I more or less ignored apart from painkillers etc.

A few years later I was referred for xrays as I had reoccurring neck pain. Seems I had broken two small bones in my neck area at the time of the fall and they were busily trying to sort of re-fuse in a less than ideal way by themselves - led to long time in neck cast and much physio - could have avoided all that if I'd been xrayed at the time.

Hope you soon feel more comfortable - but do get checked out?:happy:

Sorry to hear about your fall, and the pain you are having. It must have really shaken you up too, so well done for getting back on.

Fortunately I've never had whiplash, but the osteopath I used to see said if you ever get it, go and have osteopathy or similar treatment straight away, to avoid long term problems. I thought it was good advice.

Hope you feel better soon, and find out what's wrong with Harvey.

I've not watched video but will later...

Heat ice thing depends on literature, but ice prevents inflammation, so if not applied at the time its chemically ineffective - inflammatory process begins instantly more or less, if not applied with first few hours then heat is the next step - heat encourages blood flow, but the only way inflammation will worsen is by reinjuring. Heat opens up blood vessels tp allow the chemicals that cause pain to be moved away and for the muscles to relax out of spasm and for nutrients etc to get to area for healing.... Not the old rice routine as it's been too long since injury.

Peptic nip to a&e though, high up cervical neck fractures are very dangerous -all can seem "well" but if they displace can be life changing. Where necks are concerned better safe than sorry - no neck no you if high enough up... Sorry not what you want to hear but if it's all fine at least you'll have peace of mind

I am another who would be going to the drop in centre or A&E with neck pain, and please do tell them what really happened. A friend had a similar fall, didn't think a lot of it and woke up with a stiff neck the next day...he had fractured a vertebrae.

Doctor don't mind what causes accidents but you make there job very difficult if you don't tell them everything.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do for whiplash injuries, just make sure you rest plenty. Although the way you describe it, sounds a bit like a trapped nerve but whiplash effects everyone in different ways.

If it doesn't settle down in a few days i would go to the docs, you will have bruising on your hip which will make this painful.

Stick with the paracetamol and a heat pad if you can on your neck. Also try to move it ever so slightly just to stop it from getting stiff.

Go to the doctor! I had whiplash and didn't see the doctor. I started getting really, really bad headaches and it turns out I had a trapped nerve in my neck which was causing all the pain. It's always best to get checked out and you don't need to tell anyone else that you are going.

Just watched vid. Ow! ow ow ow ow. And the little b****er, to flourish his heels at you too - adding insult to injury, literally!

I echo what everyone else has said - please do go to the doctor :running:

I've been thinking... Seeing as they seem robe separated at birth I wonder what this is about, she's never reared and I tried to lunge in walk and trot Nd she turned in and started rearing.... That's not even coving the bucking?!

newrider.com